Big fun in Chicago IL on Aug 7th

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I have no idea where to put this. I just thought I would post this and let folks know that our costuming group is going to be at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry this Saturday, all day.

There will be approximately 40 of us there in replica movie costumes to help promote the museum's "Action: Adventure in Moviemaking" exhibit. There will be anything from Star Wars, to Beetlejuice, to X2. I did the trial run event where there were about 15 of us and it was way too much fun.

So, if any of you are in the Chicago area, this would definitely a fun way to spend your saturday.

Museum Information

I'll be there. I'll be the one who looks like my avatar.

I hope some of you can make it.

-e
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

I'm afraid I can't make it (work), but I'd like to see some pictures of the event, if you could post them.
I hope you have a good time.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

ha, it's like having a telephone conversation with god and he finally says, "oh, before I forget, the apocolypse is in ten minutes, cheers" 'click'.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

That's because I'm retarded.

The event was well publicized locally and amongst fans of movie props and costumes. It didn't occur to me until friday night that maybe folks on this board live near Chicago and might be interested.

You have permission to come to Chicago and drive a wooden stake into my heart.

At least there are pictures to enjoy...

-e
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

wow, all that costumes, yet not one Predator, shamefull. There isn't even Hellboy, I'm so disappointed in you all.

Looked really fun and interesting, wish I was there.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by steynedvelvet
, yet not one Predator, shamefull. There isn't even Hellboy, I'm so disappointed in you all.
And everyone probably have so hell of a lot money that they can afford to make 700 - 2 000 dollar costumes.. ;)

Well its only about 200 000 miles from here to there, so. ill be there if i can :p :bamf
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Originally posted by zamweasel
There will be anything from Star Wars, to Beetlejuice, to X2.
so there was five other characters that werent from Star Wars... :smirk

damn sorry about double post i.. didnt remember.. :cry
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by steyn »

well, if you've got enough blue paint for nightcrawler, then you should be able to get some red paint for Hellboy.

I'm at a loss for any comments for predator.

i hate being financially impaired. :(
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Nice perching on the railing, Emily. :D

Keichi> It's okay. But remember that you can use the edit button to add things and change things in already-posted posts. :D

Steyn> I've seen really nice Predator costumes before, but I'm assuming a nice-looking, functional Hellboy costume would be next to impossible. The Hollywood-types have the advantage of lots of money and the luxury of not needing things to be overly durable.

Have you watched the makeup effects features on the Hellboy DVD? It's insane how much work and makeup there actually is to get everything to look right.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Thank you for sharing the pictures! What fun! There were many wonderful costumes there, but I think yours was the best.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

wow, all that costumes, yet not one Predator, shamefull. There isn't even Hellboy, I'm so disappointed in you all.
I hope this is sarcasm. The group you saw there is a group that specializes in recreating costumes from the Star Wars movie. I'm loosely affiliated with them because I've made a few Star Wars costumes, but there are a few others like me who have made costumes from other films.

www.midwestgarrison.com

They aren't professionals. They are hobbyists with real jobs and lives who like to construct costume replicas with the highest degree of accuracy possible. Call the hobby what you will (it's nerdy as hell), but don't disrespect the artists who did the work. Some of them could be working in Hollywood if they wanted to be.

About the lack of Hellboy and Predator, I'm sure they'd be very welcome in the group. Put one or the other together and I can get you in touch with the right people. :) In the meantime, I'll be sure to pass on everybody's compliments to the group. (That chewbacca costume has to be seen to be believed!)

If you want to see something really funny, go here, type in 3297, and download the movie. And to see something even funnier, type in 2692 and do the same.

It may be a nerdy hobby, but we have a lot of fun. Hooray for nerds!

-e
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Woohoo, great pics! Chewie is just amazing. For some odd reason this topic wasn't showing as new for me so I totally missed it until now. Looks like it was quite a success, thanks for sharing.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

They aren't professionals. They are hobbyists with real jobs and lives who like to construct costume replicas with the highest degree of accuracy possible. Call the hobby what you will (it's nerdy as hell), but don't disrespect the artists who did the work. Some of them could be working in Hollywood if they wanted to be.
So what youre saying is that those guys have made the stormtrooper costumes by themselves? (if thats the word)
Might of take a little time, cause they look like real ones from the first star wars movies :D
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Wow! amazing costumes! that Chewbacca costume is awesome!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

So what youre saying is that those guys have made the stormtrooper costumes by themselves?
That's right. Every one of those costumes was made by the wearer or a member of the group you see there.

I am one of the few in the group who is a professional. (And I only work part-time to put myself through school.) The guy who did the chewbacca, by the way, is a hobbyist.

And we did have fun. Later that evening I took a small group to tour the set where they're filming the new Batman movie. It's right around the corner from my apartment.

-e
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

Ohh! i didn't knew you were a professional in this! no wonder why your Nighty costume is spectacular :)
Sorry! :( i am sure you've mentioned it before, but since i am lost all the time i might read it and forgot or didn't read it.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

This thread just won't go away. :) Here are the pictures from my camera.

More of the same, but shows some of my Nightcrawler preparations.

-e
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Later that evening I took a small group to tour the set where they're filming the new Batman movie.
jesus thats bamftastic :surprise :D