Free Speech

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Free Speech

Post by Gaz »

I think things need to be clarified here. What is okay to say, specifically. Not just flaming. Is it wrong to advertise your personal website, if it speaks negatively about a person who has no chance of ever seeing it and they wouldn't care anyway? Is it wrong to allow people to insult you to 'teach you a lesson' on what is okay? Can't people be asked to change the content of their posts as opposed to having an entire post deleted by mods because of one part that offends or could be offensive to someone? What is the difference between posting your opinion and flaming? This needs to be dealt with.
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Free Speech

Post by Crawler »

To be able to say, specifically, what is and what isn't acceptable, we would have to make abut 30,000 rules. We're not going to do that.

If something is questionable, ask us. If you see something that you don't think is okay, tell us. This is a big big site and we're busy people, so sometimes we don't notice things unless someone points them out...and sometimes we don't notice something for a few months after its posted.

basically, in your specific example, we drew the line between critique and hate, simple as that.

We usually edit out the offending part of a post and message the person with a warning and reasoning behind the change. Sometimes the post is nothing but against the rules, at which point it is deleted. And sometimes the offense is all over a thread by the time we get there, at which point we delete offending posts en masse. Sometimes we'll go so far as to kill an entire thread.

The rules are pretty clear, I think.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Free Speech

Post by Bamfette »

Gaz- we need to be fair to EVERYONE. we can't pick and choose. just because one person will never see what's said about them or would not care if they did, does not mean the next person flamed will feel the same way. this is a PUBLIC FORUM. ANYONE can read everything posted here. including the person being flamed. sometimes it is unlikely, yes. but we can't just say 'oh well i don't think they will ever see it... so it's ok. but this guy, he'll probably see it, so it's not ok.' it has to be universal.

this rule has been in effect since the board started, in the beginning it was the ONLY rule. and we've already covered what it means here: http://nightscrawlers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1709 (more than a year ago!)

basically - '____ SUCKS!' = against the rules. a thought out critique of their WORK, not the person, is ok.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Free Speech

Post by kurtlover »

I am with them.
Like C said, "rules are pretty clear" even for people who doesn't speak english like me.
There's better ways to express an opinion, free speech is ok, but if its expressed with respect.
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Free Speech

Post by Tatu »

You actually cannot see how calling some talentless is disrespectful? You dont have to like them, but why waste your time? Is there a point?

And you're right, it did need to be dealt with, and Jill dealt with it. I fail to see where she did anything wrong..
Call me King!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Free Speech

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

So if you say something "shitty" about some actor, the post is deleted? :smirk
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Free Speech

Post by Crawler »

Depends on how you say it.

And your signature image is MUCH too big, Keichi. Please resize or remove it.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Free Speech

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

no huoh... its allways "too big"
some people have even bigger signatures then i have and everybody are allways complaining about how my banner is too big, its not that simple to change the size of it .. <_<

fine

*EDITED BY A MODERATOR BECAUSE OF DOUBLE POSTING

Is it still too large for your highness? :p
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Free Speech

Post by kurtlover »

First: i've edited your posts because double posting is not allowed.
But i was this close to delete it, because of your sarcasm which is very uncalled for of course, Crawler is only doing his job, no more no less... i decided not to delete it because i guess he must read it, so if its deleted i would know it was you.

Second: read the rules, they specify the size allowed on images for the sigs, instead of complaining who has bigger images in there, report them to a moderator so they can correct the problem.

The rules

Please, read carefully, specially rules #1, #3, #4 and #9.
Thanks
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

Free Speech

Post by Crawler »

We aren't overly concerned, usually, with signature content. But when we see an image that much over the limit, we take action.

Usually we simply delete that person's signature. I was nice enough to simply ask you to resize yours. And thank you for doing so.

If you see people with bigger signatures, report them. I don't read every post that's made, so I haven't seen everyone.

I don't make a dime off this website. In fact, it COSTS me money to run.