Name the Kitty... again...

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!

Total votes: 0

HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

What a cute picture! The other cat looks cute too. Same as him except with more fur. :love
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BamfChyck »

Oh my, Bamfette, he is just the most adorable guy!
He's probably cuddling with the other kitty to keep warm, since he's still mostly bald. I hope his fur grows in soon. How long before he has a full coat?

Do you know about when he'll be able to come live with you? It's sad to live apart from your kitty. :( Of course, I've been known to cut my vacations short because I miss my kitties, so I may not be a good judge.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

the beginning of February. so still like a month off O.o will miss out on him being a small kitten, but Devons are so hard to get, (unless we were willing to pay an extra 300 from this other breeder) it was kind of unavoidable, and he'll be worth it in the long run.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

this just made me so sad. remember i said that a shelter was adopting out rescues from a shut down pet mill?

these are Sphynxes rescued from the mill:

look at those poor things, terrible shape, i think the one on the left is blind :( (the one in the middle is the one currently up for adoption) and they don't even look like a Sphynx.. i mean, they have hair! looks to me like a bad mating practices between Devon and Sphynx stock.

this is what a Sphynx is SUPPOSED to look like: http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/sphynx.html clearly they were not breeding for quality, they were breeding for quantity. so no, these kittens will not be beautfful show quality cats, but if any pet deserves a good loving hom, it's them. again, the site is: http://tinyurl.com/3qvt5

and this is why you NEVER EVER buy a pet from a pet store, especially a chain store! use them for food and supplies, or fish at most, but for other animals, rescue from shelters or buy from a reputable breeder! if you 'rescue' one from a store, it's still a sale, they don't care what the reason is, and they'll just get more from places like what produced the above kittens.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Oh, that's terrible! Those poor cats; it does look like the one on the left is blind. Some people. :(
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Bamfette
this just made me so sad. remember i said that a shelter was adopting out rescues from a shut down pet mill?

these are Sphynxes rescued from the mill:

look at those poor things, terrible shape, i think the one on the left is blind :( (the one in the middle is the one currently up for adoption) and they don't even look like a Sphynx.. i mean, they have hair! looks to me like a bad mating practices between Devon and Sphynx stock.
Those are some odd-looking cats... not as odd as a pure blooded Sphynx, but still darn odd. In the other pictures, you can really see how the fur is all tufty and funny.

I like normal mutt tabby cats the best... although the ones with the extra toes are cute.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

If I have seen one cat like these guys, I have seen hundreds. He actually looks to have upper respiratory disease (a bad kitty cold). If you look at his littermates they have crusties (yes that is the technical medical term for it) around their eyes and nostrils. It is very common for cats in large groups like a shelter or mill to end up with this. Good news is that all the white bits that you can see through his eyes are just really swollen conjuntave. With proper care that should go down and he should be able to see just fine. I have seen cats in a lot worse shape that that, where all you could see is grossly protruding flesh, like the eyelids were turned inside out.
THANKYOU Jill for calling attention to this matter! Reputable breeders do not sell to pet stores. Mills and "backyard breeders" the well intentioned person with a "pretty" pet that they think that they can make a couple of bucks off of are what supply them. These people do not screen for genetic defaults and do not selectively breed, both vital things in a purebred.
If you want a purebred, do as Jill and find a reputable breeder. Good breeders grill you like they are giving you their first born child.
OK - I will finish my rant now ;)
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I take it you work at an animal shelter?

I must confess, i got my Tipsy at a pet store, when i did not know any better. he came with a minor upper resperatory infection, which was not apparent at the store, but became apparent upon closer inspection and when we took him for his first vet checkup. but nothing to the extent of what's pictured above. the poor things. good to know they may be funny looking but healthy given proper treatment. and he was a wonderful cat, but never again will i buy from a store.

aaaaanyway... put together the very finalpoll on the cat names:
http://nightscrawlers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=4777
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Those poor cats. :( I feel so sorry for them. I would never buy a pet from a pet store. I've heard too many horror stories. I have bought birds (parakeets) but all the other animals I've had have been from people I know or my sister knows and breeds them.

Best way to get them really!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well, I currently volunteer for the local shelter - I used to be employed there. When I had my kids I found a job that I can do from home so that I can be an at home mom too. I have been involved with our shelter for 12 yrs now though - so I have seen just about everything. Plus I am a vet tech.
The rant give me away?? :D Well, with a name like Paws, and a siggy like mine I guess it doesn't take a lot of detective work eh?
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.