City of Heroes

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

just so anyone who wants to come knows, i have the misison for the Spirit Warrior badge, and we are going tomorrow at 9:00 am mountain time. the mission is a level 22 mission, (well, i think i got it when i was 21, actually) but we will be able to sidekick one more person....

i have more pics. we saw the ghost ship today, fought more Banished Pantheon, and killed more snowmen than i'd care to count.

and Andy or Idsunki,
Level 9-14 Circle of Thorns Mission

Contact: Dr. Trevor Seaborn(steel canyon), Hugo Redding(steel canyon), Haley Philips(skyway city)

Mission Text: Can you rescue Cassandra from the Circle of Thorns?
i want that badge, it's one part of getting the Atlas Medalion, so.... :p if either of you can get that mission, i would be very grateful if you exemplar me for it. and hopefully we can all get it by having the other exemplar C.

anyway. the screenshots....

managed to get three of us online at the same time.... me, C and Andy.

me and C fighting Banished Pantheon. this mission had really cool atmospheric effects.
Image Image Image Image

Ghost Ship:
Image Image

and we found some level 30+ Council in Perez today. my guess is they were someone's ambush. anyway, they had a werewolf with them, so got a pic of C standing a bit too close for comfort to a bad guy 10 levels above him :p
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

i added a non forum member to the SuperGroup tonight *gasp* she was saying she did not like her SG, and she was friendly and fun to play with (helped with her cape mission) so i invited her. and she wants her sister to be in it too. so now we are a REAL SG :p

and that reminds me, Idsunki, when you login and find you're no longer in the Supergroup, don't think anything of it, C just wanted to tweak some settings before we got too many members, and that booted all members. next time you're on, me or C will add you again.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

City of Heroes

Post by idsunki »

Alright, cool. I noticed that the other day when I popped on for like, an hour... I figured I had accidentally hit 'quit' the last time I was on.

But last Sunday was really cool... I actually had a LAN party over here with my friends from Guardian (that live in the area, anyway). It was pretty small (only four of us), but we got some levels and some missions done really fast with a lot of cool screenshots to show for it. One of the guys is working on a website, so when that goes up I'll send a link.

I'd play more, but apparently majoring in history, minoring in English, and taking German and Linguistics as electives requires a lot of reading.

Yeah.

-idsunki, dimpling more chads every day.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

City of Heroes

Post by Winged Outlaw »

God I love this game and everything about it. I just need a better video card for my laptop. Anyone know how much that'll cost me, or if I'll even be able to install it for that matter?

I've just started though, level 10 Forcefield Defender named Emminance on the Protector server. People love me bubs. Fun times :)
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

Depends on what kind of laptop you have. Basically, if you don't have a laptop built for gaming that was advertised as upgradable...it probably isn't. You can, of course, upgrade it, but you'll have to take it somewhere and it will probably be cheaper to buy a new laptop.

Mine wouldn't run it, so I cobbled together unwanted parts from my friends' newly upgraded computers and ended up with a CoH machine for around $60.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

ok, thinking about the future of powers here, i am finding that i face a tough decision.

Raye is a Rad/Rad defender, and of the pool powers, she currently is using the flight, first aid, and fitness pools. i would like to get hasten from the speed pool, and also several powers from the leadership pool (these pools are most effective with a defender, and they seem pretty cool). that leaves me with 5 pools. you can only choose from 4. since i definitely want the leadership pool, that leaves me the choice of respecing and dropping first aid in trade for hasten, or not getting hasten at all.

just how useful is hasten? will aid other and aid self outweigh it?

and yes, i know that if i were to just get super speed, all would be well, but i like flying too much, even if it is slow as travel powers go.

what do you think i should do? it's a few levels before it will become an issue... i already did the level 24 respec mission, so...
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

City of Heroes

Post by idsunki »

Not sure what to advise on the power pool thing, but Hasten makes 057 attack much faster and can get him out of delicate situations by beating the living crap out of anyone that so much as comes within range of his energy-charged fists.

Sorry about last night, but I think I tempted fate too much and it bit. I don't know if you caught it, but after you mentioned the WLs weren't helping my lag/crappy computer one bit, I answered "I can only imagine." Well, it seems CoH isn't without a sense of humor, so it decided to oblige me and show exactly what a zone full of winter lord hunters could do to my machine. After waiting a few minutes with the Map Server Disconnect notice up, it finally spit me out of the game to a black screen that I couldn't get anything working on. It eventually took a complete and utter restart to get my machine going again.

Man, I needs me that tax return...

-idsunki, who advises against running video games at their so-called 'minimum requirements'
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

You did the respec mission without me!?!? :o
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

you not get my email? well, some people were asking, so i went.... but worry not, the team sucked. this one tanker was a loose cannon. the whole rest of the team was there to finish as fast as possible, he was there to get XP. so when we said to ignore a group of bad guys, he'd have none of that, he wanted the XP from killing them. so instead he drew all the bad guys over to us, and all the weaker members got killed, because he was the only one with enough HP to stay alive during that kind of assault. then the one other person that could heal and resurrect quit because of it, and so did one other person.. then in the final part, no one would stay together so i was running around from one end of the room to the other healing people individually, which greatly reduced my effectiveness, and i got lotsa debt, so we're still even, and i will still go on your mission.

and yeah, Idsunki, i figured that was what happened. right tnen a friend of C's who he had added to the SG said hi, so i ended up exemplaring with him while hunting WL's in the same area you vanished incase you showed up again. knocked 4,000 off my debt and got him up 2 levels.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

Well, Xenon and I attempted the Respec TF...4 times. 3 misfires and then we were in the room outside the reactor...and everyone just decided to give up until the next patch. I did one of these :doh! and decided to go to bed, fed up with people. ;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

you tried with Xenon? but isn't he around level 30? it was my understanding that the bad guys on the mission (the door part of it anyway) were based on the *highest level* member of your group. you were screwed from the start, if that's really the case. what we should do is wait for Andy to reach 24, then get a level 24 blaster or two to round things out, (and i know a guy with a level 24 alt character, i think it's a blaster) and try again with people we know we can work with.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

City of Heroes

Post by Garble »

The respec trial is hella tough. It has bosses that are higher level than the maximum allowed lvl for participating. And once you get inside the reactor, the room itself hurts you. I've tried it several times on different occasions and every time failed after several deaths.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

we didn't face any bad guys that were more than 3 levels (at most, it was usually 2) than anyone in our group.... we were all 24, and they flat refused to invite anyone even one level higher than that. i read up on it before going and it seemed pretty clear both there and from the 2 or 3 people in my group that really seemed to know what they were doing as they've done it numerous times successfuly in the past, that when talking to whatshisface to form the task force, the game looks at the highest level member (exemplaring doesn't make a difference) and makes all the bad guys 1-3 levels higher than that member. and extrapolating from what that article said about facing 10 waves with 4 or 5 people and us with 7 facing like 15ish, it seems to make the 'waves' in the reactor core roughly 2 times the number of people in your group, so a smaller group is beneficial, within reason. like 5 or so. so, basically, if your highest level member was the last level able to take the mission, then yes, they'd be 3 levels higher than that...

and the room doesn't hurt you much, we never had a problem with that.... get a forcefield from the provided machine and you're all set. it dies after a few minutes, but you just run to get another one, and you don't lose HP quickly enough to kill you unless you stand there for like 5 minutes.

i mean, we had a bad team due to the loose canon tanker, and after some people left, we were left facing more bad guys than we reasonably should have had to, so that made it hard. iif everyone had worked ogether properly and no one left, it would have worked fine, it wasn't that hard, i thought.

Andy's 24, i say we find a blaster or two and go for it.

anyway. got the CoH comic and looking at the fanart in the back, i realize i know one of the artists from Elfwood. Maria William. now i am thinking i should submit something, would be decent free advertising if nothing else...
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

What do you two say to Wednesday evening? :)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

works for me. I'll ask Ghost Hacker if his alt is a blaster and see if he wants to do it.

I did learn that i want ot be stocked up on at least 3 awakens myself before i go. i wasn't and had to trade for them afterward which delayed me resurrecting myself the times i died. but now that i know, i will be. just incase. everyone else can probably make do with one or two awakens, since once i am up and alive, i can resurrect people. but it is an extremely long recharge, so if 2 people die at once, one will have to use an awaken or wait a good while.

C one thing my team did that was very helpful (tho i wish they had done it faster sometimes) is since you ahve teleport friend, if someone falls within the reactor core and i can not rez them for whatever reason, (my mutation rezes with full HP and energy and also buffs you quite a bit. and as far as i can tell, the manual lies, i have never seen anyone end up stunned after i resurrect them and the mutation wears off. i guess they changed something, took away the downside. so not really an issue if i rez you within the reactor, as it is a very very good resurrection) or if it's me, teleport them to the prep room as soon as you can. if not you just die again due to Skyraiders attacking while stunned, and the reactor damaging you when you have minimal HP as it is and no shield. a couple times they'd leave me lying dead on the floor for a couple minutes and everyone's health would be going down because i was not around to heal them. the last tiem i was like *this* close to going to the hospital before being ported to the prep room.i realize it may be possible that you are in the middle of a fight, but it will do a lot more good to have everyone alive than be short a member

and C, curious, what does it say when i want o resurrect you? does it say i want to MUTATE you? becuase i have had 2 people who i stumbled across that had died fighting Frosty, and i used mutate on them. they lay there a couple minutes after i had done it, then went to the hospital anyway. which kinda sucked because on one occasion there was someone else i could have rezed instead. should i be explaining that it will resurrect them and it's actually a good thing? i mean, it hastes you *more than the Hasten power does* enhances enduracne recovery, damage and accuracy for a few minutes after you're up, who wouldn't want that? even if the downside of stunning after it wears off a few minuteslater was still there, it still gives you a fighting chance to get away if nothing else.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

City of Heroes

Post by Garble »

I'm game with doing the respec with you guys.
And I agree with Jill about carrying awakens and using recall friend.
A lot of people I've been stuck teaming with don't have any idea of how teams work or the merit of planning.
"Let's just go in and kill them!"

The core's radiation isn't so bad by itself but it does complicate things like rezing being a blaster with low HPs anyway in a room full of angry bosses.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

yeah that's where we ran into problems, we had 2 people calling the shots, but it seemed only i was willing to go along with the plan. everyone else just ahd the 'kill them all!!!!' mentality. so there were three of us working together and a few more running around doing their own thing. and when you break off from the group to fight 5 guys solo, don't bitch at me because i was healing someone else when you got killed... i can't be everywhere at once. my aura can heal everyone within a certain radius of me, if people stick reasonably close together, i have to hit the heal button less often and waste less energy which means i can debuff more, or actually hit the guys with my blasts and help in more than a heal-bot roll.

actually. here's a list of things you can do to help me help you better. if you have a similar list, speak up, we'll be a better team.

Don't dive in right away - Like, if you see a mob, and they aren't attacking you yet, I can do a lot to help weaken them, but only if you give me a minute to do my thing. First, i have this one blast, Proton Volley. it is a sniper attack, as such it does a wonderful job of pulling bad guys because it is extremely long range, and does better damage than any of my other blasts. however, it has limitations. it has a long interrupt time, as in it takes a while for the blast to actually FIRE after i activate the power, and i can not even move while doing it, or it interrupts it. and if bad guys are firing at me, there is a good chance it will get interrupted. it has to be the FIRST shot fired to do any good. also, i can buff you before we go in, it will decrease power recharge time, boost your speed, enhance endurance recovery, and damage dealt. but only if you're standing near me. if you go diving into the middle of the bad guys with no warning, you don't get the buff. i can also debuff them. i respec'd out Enervating Field which is very quick to launch, but a major energy drain (getting it back next power now that i don't bleed energy anymore) which leaves me with Radiation Infection. again, it's slow to launch. give it a second.

i have to be close to you to heal/buff you. - if you run away from me, i can't help you. I will do my best to stay close, but there are limits, and if you split up, i have to choose one person to follow over another. stay together and stay close to me.

Don't kill the glowing guy unless I say so - my debuffs affect not only the target, but all the bad guys standing near them. it is in your best interest to attack the OTHER GUYS first, as they are ALL debuffed, and if you kill the anchor, that debuff vanishes on the entire mob. sometimes if there is a very strong boss there, i will debuff him to all hell, and will say to attack the boss, because it is important that he is taken out as quickly as possible. usually, though, i will target a random guy standing in a group of bad guys, and you should attack his friends. unless he runs away (which they often do to protect their buddies) then you can chase him down and kill him, or taunt him to get him to come back to the rest. standing near a debuffed bad guy is probably th best place to be, since they can't hit you worth shit anyway, and the others will come after you, and end up in the affected area, making them weaker.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

City of Heroes

Post by Garble »

As a tanker, I have limited damage dealing but I can withstand attacks better. In a team it's mostly my job to take damage so you don't have to.

Keep me healed - As soon as I die, my aggro drops and whoever killed me is gonna come after you. If my life bar on the team list goes red, I'm counting on someone to help me.

Take out the "boss" first. - Usually, I go for the nearest boss and try to keep him focused on me so he doesn't kill everyone else. But if I'm the only one doing damage to him, he's gonna be around for a while. Usually it's best if everyone focuses their damage on the same guy to take him out fast and then work on the next biggest threat.

One mob at a time - Even in a packed area, the bad guys are grouped and you can usually limit how many will attack you at once. I *hate* being on a team mission where people aggro more than one mob so we have to work twice as hard to clear them out. You also end up taking more damage from being assaulted by more villians and increase the risk of running out of end.

Tankers can't pull - Although the tanker's job is to get as much of the mob to focus their attacks on him, taunts are AOE and lousy at pulling. Fights generally go better if the mob is reduced by pulling and sniping before going in for the kill. And in that instance, you wanna try to pull minions that are wandering a way from the big mob. If you hit the Boss first, they will all come.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

A few things because I have to run to work:

I will follow the lead tanker and help them kill guys. He is my only point of reference to the team unless you wander into my screen. My settings are low, so I can't see far. If he runs off, I'm running off. Don't get mad at me. ;)

Blasters should stay with the Healer. They can blast anyone that turns aggro at her and help keep her healing instead of having to blast her way out of a mob. The group should really end up with two groups: the far away gang and the close up gang. People running around solo is going to slow everything down and get people dead.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

ok, so basically then, I am in charge from a distance, i get to say 'ok, now' and try and pick off some bad guys to narrow things down, when the whole mob turns on us, then Andy is our lead when we actually begin throwing punches? i will follow andy, assuming C is doing the same, and that any blasters are following me.

the reactor core will be a bit tricky to stick together, because they are attacking us, instead of the other way around, but it should be doable.

i'm kinda determined to not die once on this mission, and not let any of you all die either. i think we can do it becuase we can work well together, unlike the other team i was on. we DO need a blaster or two though, need to find a good one.

oh, i invited that guy dressed as a dairy cow named Mad-Cow to the SG after i healed him on Striga and noticed he had no SG. admittedly, it's mostly just because i find his character to be hilarious, but he seemed very nice during our brief conversation.

and wanted to get a couple of the Stephanie Peeble missions done today, it was with a girl i had teamed with for Frosty before, so she was good, most of the others were good. but this one guy..... another loose canon. luckily, he was a blaster who thought he was a tanker and he only got HIMSELF killed. (and constantly whined about his debt. well no one ELSE died over the course of 3 missions, gee, i wonder why he kept keeling over. with TWO defenders, and a controller with healing. takes talent to get killed in a team like that.) don't team with MR.BLAST. he kept teleporting bad guys over to us and running off on his own diving into mobs. definitely had the 'just start shooting!!' mentality. no plan.... the best bit was whenhe teleported a War Wolf into the middle of us, while 2 people were AFK. luckily the puppy took it out on him.

and then we got the same mission C had earlier, where you take out the mob boss and destroy drug crates. me and this one other guy decided to do it the same way me and C did for his - sneak by the mobs, get to the boss and kill him. in and out quick, i did not want much XP and so that was good for me,a nd everyone else was fine with it. but noo... this Blast guy kept getting bored waitng to be teleported to the next crate and/or the boss and kept running off to fight guys. idiot.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

City of Heroes

Post by idsunki »

Oh wow. Wowee Wow. That is some hip-thrustin' action.

That is far too cool for school, and I'll see what I can do to drum up a 'reasonable fee,' because I'd love to see a pic like that for 057.

-idsunki, gots bills to pay.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

City of Heroes

Post by Bamfette »

yeah, i haven't quite decided what the 'reasonable fee' should be yet. a drawing like that can take me from 5-10 hours start to finish, and i normally charge $15 + aprox. $10 an hour. not sure if people would pay that though. I am thinking saying between $50 and $75, depending on complexity. (some costumes very simple, others, not so much) but people here i'd give a discount.

the Winter Lord is gone, and now all the lakes are frozen solid! in Perez people were just drawing every bad guy they could think of onto the lake to have them sliding around, and controllers with pets are all over the place :LOL you all have to come ice skating with me ;)
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

City of Heroes

Post by HoodedMan »

Ooh. That's a fantastic character pic. I have my own greatly loved/talented artist sketching for my upcoming game, and me inking but had I money I'd love to see what my (theoretical) character would look like!

Nice work, Bamfette!
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator

City of Heroes

Post by Crawler »

Andy, Jill> Still up for the respec TF tonight? I was thinking at 5:30 pm Mountain time. That work?

(Will be asleep until then. Later!)