What makes a good comic?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Liz Sherman
Lubber
Lubber

What makes a good comic?

Post by Liz Sherman »

What makes a comic book great, or wonderful? Is it the story line, the art? What?! Please tell all your opinions! I am very interested in knowing...I'm kinda writing my own...hehe:oops:
*CRASH* Hmm, nothings changed, home sweet home.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

What makes a good comic?

Post by NightPoofer »

Nightcrawler makes a good comic... Period!
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

What makes a good comic?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I agree with that last comment... also a good fight scene and a good villain are also good.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

What makes a good comic?

Post by steyn »

Incredibly twisted plotlines, Like Guy A is fighting Guy B who is in cahoots with Gal C who dates Guy D who is the brother of Guy A, but they all end up being captured by mastermind Guy X, who turns out to be Guy B's Long lost twin who wants to take over guy B's life, 'cause he has a freudian obsession with their stepmother who is the leader of an international spy syndicate. And she also dubbles as a spokesperson for a gunfree world. Little do we know she is an alien who posseses telepathic power and superhuman strength. (And she bakes kickass chocolate brownies for the girlscouts.)
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

What makes a good comic?

Post by HoodedMan »

Eh... I don't know about other people, but plotlines that twisted just make me confused and frustrated. :smirk
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

What makes a good comic?

Post by kurtlover »

Everybody can tell you that perhaps its the combination between a good artist and an interest plot but i thing its reelevant because each person have different tastes.
For me a good comic has to have elements of surprise and a fresh concept, the art has to be great but a bit out of the standards, the art sometimes is pretty and flashy but it could be simple nothing new to look at, just candy eye.. for me it has to have a feeling.
But, if you basically enjoy a comic no matter what the reviews of the vast majority of the people say, then its a good comic for you.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

What makes a good comic?

Post by Bamfette »

to the Nightcrawler answers: :rolleyes oh come on, there's more to life (and a good comic)... besides, she's asking for a legitimate reason, one which using the character is an impossibility due to copyright infringement.

I looks for a comic that makes me feel for the characters. like, 30 Days of Night, which was really well recieved so i got the trade... enh... you never got to know any of the characters long enough to care about what happened to them. [spoiler]guy chooses to go on an ass kicking rampage as a vampire even though it means his own death, leaving his wife a widow? sure could be great, very emotional. but it wasn't. if we had gotten to know what he was all about a bit more than a grand total of three pages of him talking to his wife before all hell broke loose, and he displayed a less generic personality, then maybe. (and an explanation of why he remained good when turned into a vampire and no one else did) voodoo lady's kid dies trying to take pictures fo the site? well it would help to care if we knew anything at all about him besides his name.[/spoiler] so in short, i didn't know enough about any of the characters to really care what happened to them. sure it's a sad ending, i guess, but it could have hit so much harder.

FABLES, on the other hand.... or Y, they have characters that are likeable and you care about. they are given reasons for their actions beyond 'it's their job' or 'it's what has to be done' i mean, Fables, early on you have Snow's relationship with her sister and and then with Bigby, etc. Y has a long running plot of Yorick being the last man on earth, he has all these available women around, and he's just trying to get back to his fiancee. stuff like that.

now the ART.. that was good. it set the tone and told the story well. to me it does nto matter what style the art is, so long as it sets the appropriate tone for the book and advances the story. like Templesmith, Ashley Wood, etc are great for dark and gritty stories. but they really would not fit on something lighthearted and fun. you can't just take any artist that comes along, you have to make sure their att will compliment the tone.

also, i don't like when the comic is 'dumbed down' effort should be made to make sure a comic is clear, but I'm smart enough to put 2 and2 together without some character or caption box stating the obvious.

i'll think of more later...
Liz Sherman
Lubber
Lubber

What makes a good comic?

Post by Liz Sherman »

All sound wonderful! Thank you for adding your opinion...now story line. I used to write like mad when I was younger. Made up friends and plots came to me like no one's buisness. Now is a different question...k, thets but it this way. If you could write a comic, or help others in a major writers block, what would it be?:?
*CRASH* Hmm, nothings changed, home sweet home.
DoomInABox
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

What makes a good comic?

Post by DoomInABox »

Strong story devoid of plotholes ... nothing ruins a good comic (or any bit of writing, for that matter) worse than glaring inconsistencies. Good art is, of course a factor ... it doesn't have to be absolutely perfect, but as long as it is pleasant to look at and gets your message across clearly, it will be great.

Probably the most important thing I look for is the relation between the art and the story ... if it's a happy tone, full of comedy, the art should reflect that, (ie: there should be lots of colour, the scenery shouldn't seem to weigh down on the scene). Likewise, if it's a very serious story meant to elicit strong emotions in the reader, there should be a matching tone in the artwork. It helps to weld the gap between the pictures and the words and, to me, it makes the comic seem much more real.

Everything else, fights, loud explosions, etc. are totally up to whatever story you're writing.
"Picture this: bumpity bumpity bumpity SPLAT!"
-- Nightcrawler, X-Men Evolution

Visit my art sites, please!
http://www.kenthayle.deviantart.com
http://www.geocities.com/ironthorncomics
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

What makes a good comic?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Pretty colours!
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

What makes a good comic?

Post by HoodedMan »

A good story line leads up to something the reader believes will happen one way, but then it abruptly turns another way. Where it goes from there is your own decision. I think those are the best though I definitely like others.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

What makes a good comic?

Post by steyn »

I do sometimes like it when the artists or writers puts small funny stuff in the comics, for example, in one uncanny xmen comic two rampaging mutants where caught and held in ths force field which looks surprisingly like the ghost traps from Ghostbusters, I laughed..., anyway this is just to put the sprinkles on the cupcake, even though the cupcake tastes great, people sometimes like sprinkles.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator

What makes a good comic?

Post by HoodedMan »

Indeed; the best plot is only appreciated if it has little sparks of humour to lighten it up. I love most of the fanfics on this board as they all have a great sense of humour along with excellent plots.