All you artists out there!

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Liz Sherman
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Liz Sherman »

Alright, I'm doing a current study on artists/ famous or no. I would like to know what age you came out into the art world. Or if you know of a famous artist and what age they got out there would be great.(not when they started drawing or went into art school) I would just love to make a point that age doesn't matter, talent and gumption does. goodness, some musicians started out when they were 12! Thanks,
Liz

P.S.-I am 18 and have an art degree, and no one thinks that I can make it out there. I would love to prove some people wrong. ;) I did sell my first peice when I was 13.
*CRASH* Hmm, nothings changed, home sweet home.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

my first sell was at 14....

my first write up was at 19 in the NY Times....

I'm currently a senior in a visual arts conservatory
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

I did my first commissioned piece of work at 14. It was a mural painted on the display window of a business.

However, although I have sold a few other pieces of work (oil paintings), my career is in biology. Right now my professional creative drive leans towards photography and graphic design for webpages.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by kurtlover »

I am not an artist at all, i just draw from time to time, my first piece came out when i turned 10, my first commission was at my 13s.. it was a portrait and i earned 3 dollars from it.
From time to time i do commissions, most of them..are portraits.
I repeat, i am not an artist, i wanted to be one but naw.. i just simply couldn't.. i realised i am not that talented ;), and my career has nothing to do with art.. i work in tourism, i am a sales executive in some big hotel.
JUSTOOGOOD
Lubber
Lubber

Post by JUSTOOGOOD »

I am just about to graduate *crosses fingers*. My first piece of work which was sold was when I was about 14, I'm not sure if it counts though as it was for my mum she got me to draw an old photo of my grandparents (R.I.P.) for my aunt's birthday. since then I've done a few commissioned pieces for a few peeps (most of which was done for a lady whose father had a business hiring-out vintage cars for weddings and such, anyway I had the pleasure of drawing most of these old beauties which provided me with both a challenge and some new subject matter), but university has put a stop to all that. At present I actually work as a chef (Master Microwave Technician actually!) to pay the rent, bills etc.!
I'm the best there is at what I do...
...no wait,
...that's someone else.

*ANYTHING STATED IN THE ABOVE POST IS MERELY THE OPINION OF MYSELF: UNLESS SUPPORTED BY FACTS/SOURCES ETC*
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Umm, My first commisioned piece was when I was 14. It was a woodburning of an elk that my mom's boss killed, and got $50.00 for it.
I'm not famous, nor do I wish to be.

Hope that helps at least a little, Liz;)Good luck with your study, gal.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

i have been drawing from a young age, i don't remember when i started. my first comission was when i was 12 or 13, portrait....in high school i sold prints of celbrity portaits and other prints for like 5 bucks each... i also did the cover for my school year book 2 years out of 3 that i was there. i ent ot the Alberta College of Art and Design, but they were more into the whole gllery scene and modern, abstract, expressionist type tuff, and i was definitely all illustrattive, so i dropped out. it wasn't for me. i don't give a flying fuck about getting into a gallery, or the 'scene'. i am in it becaue i enjoy it and happen to be reasoably good at it, and if i can make a living doing art, i will. anyway... then i was hired at Street Characters where i designed and made corporate/sports/college/whatver mascots. i was a 'creative engeneer' and made it to art director before i quit. then i went to Sheridan College, and it was more up my alley, they are more focused on illustrative art, and art as a job. i studied general art and classical aimation... now i do miscellaneous... stuff. color/draw comics, do character deigns, flash animation, miscellaneous comissions, whatver comes along.

and while i did go to art college, i will agree that you don't need it to make it as an artist. employers typically do not look at your education unless it's something like being an animator for a large company. your work is the most important thing. however, they did provide me with valuable skills, opportunities, advice, and the ability to give and take criticism, so it did help.