Episode III (SPOILERS!)

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by kurtlover »

So, who is a Star Wars geek here? I am! And damn it, i can't wait to see the movie!! We have a premiere here the 18th and i already bought my ticket...i am also going to a Star Wars Con in june.. here in my city!
I am waiting this one is better than the first two, because i didn't like them very much, specially episode II..
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by NightPoofer »

None of the theatres around me will let me buy tickets online or anything before the day of. So... *sarcastically* I guess those people who are already sleeping outside the building are gonna make the first few shows sold out. :lol:

Hopefully III will be better than II.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

C and I have tickets already for midnight opening night. :D
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by kurtlover »

Heheh i am going to a midnight opening night too! What a coincidence
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Northstars Love »

I'm waiting until after the weekend. Everyone and their mama will be at the theatres for this one. :eek Damn cell phones and people that talk through movies! :mad

I do recall my younger days of waiting 10 hours to see Return of the Jedi( 17 then) but hey those were my more patient days. :P The theatre happened to be right next to a Montgomery Wards (remember them?) in the mall and all the newest action figures and playsets were on display for all to see through the doors. When those doors opened a mass of people like locusts snatched up all the figures and playsets. The only thing that remained was the Star Wars sign which someone also eventually took. :ooh:

Ain't nothing sacred anymore?
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Tatu »

I've never seen the first Star Wars (Level of caring = loooow) so I guess I won't be seeing this one either :toothy
Call me King!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Saint Kurt »

I likes me some Star Wars now and again....

This image used to be up at starwars.com a few years ago with the caption "She doesn't need to worry, she's well out of range".

Sometimes I get to work for Lucasfilm, which is fun. Last summer I wore that x-wing outfit at SDCC working at Lucasfilm's booth wrangling their 1:1 scale plywood x-wing fighter for photo ops. (Towards the end I was operating on very little sleep and I think the solvents from my Nightcrawler makeup were getting to me. Though I was there for crowd control as people posed for pictures with the x-wing, they occassionally wanted me in them too. I kept forgetting which costume I was in. There are a lot of photos out there of me posing like Nightcrawler in that costume...)

This year I've got a rather silly sounding gig working at a big downtown Chicago theater that will be showing nothing but Star Wars for the opening weekend (Wed Midnight - Saturday Night). I'll be dusting off my Jedi costume to pimp toy lightsabers for Master Replicas, a Lucasfilm subsidiary. I don't have to sell any, (or else I would have said no) I just have to wander up and down the lines making them look cool. Plus I get to see the movie on Wednesday midnight too.

-e
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Diablo »

LOL Em !
You seem to have a lot of fun in your life. :)

And YES, Episode III is coming, I just can't wait.
I really hope I'll see it tomorrow.
Yoda VS Palpatine. AT LAST.
Obi-Wan VS Anakin round one. AT LAST.
"Rise, Lord Vader". AT LAST !

Episode I was OK.
Episode II was great.
I really believe Episode III will be excellent. :)
Rock is alive : Atlantys. :guitar
www.atlantys.biz

:wanda :bamf :psylocke :phoenix :kylun :rogue
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

the only thing that kinda sucks is that we know how it ends basically. it will be interesting to see how it unfolds, Anakin turning to Darth Vader (and i am not using spoilers because if you don't know this you aren't a SW fan anyway) I've heard the basics before. the scenario for the epic batle between Anakin and Obi Wan and it's location has been floating around a long time now. but will be nice to see it with all the details filled in. and i am sure that battle must be a sight to see. but also like, which Jedi live - Obi Wan and Yoda since they appeared later/earleir movies. so alll the others... i just hope we get to see Mace Windu kicking some SERIOUS ass before he goes down. ;)

and Episodes 1 and 2 were kind of let downs... I don't think they were as horrible as some make out... but have you ever heard of/seen the Phantom Edit? i have a copy of it, and it is a FAR superior movie with just a bit of editing. (namely cutting out most of Jar Jar). so it obviously had potential if that's all it took to 'fix' it, and there were some great parts, but they were mostly for the eye candy. It wasbn't horrible, it just could have been.... better. but i mean the whole trade embargo thing and all was just... not all that interesting. and the acting from young Anakin in particular... well he got labeled with the nickname Anakin the manequin at ILM for a reason. the second movie was better, though. And i am hoping the third one is better still. I am not hoping or thinking it will be the BESTEST MOVIE EVER! or anything because that's just leading myself to be dissapointed. and i think that's where a lot of the VERY negative reactions came from for the first two - some people had unreasonable expectations.
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by idsunki »

Some friends and I will be going to see EpIII midnight at the mall. Woo!

This won't be happening due to a number of reasons, but my girlfriend wanted to go dressed up as Yoda (her mom dressed her up as him for Halloween when she was four) with me dressed up as Chancellor Palpatine. Then she wanted to make out in line.

Apparently she wants to watch heads explode all around.

-idsunki, your head asplode.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

There was a premiere here at 18th day too at 12:05am or something but i didnt go cause i have school today.. Im totally waiting to see the movie, anything beats Episode I and II.. Especially Episode I ;)
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by idsunki »

...just got back.

Wow.

-idsunki, ...
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

eeeeee! :D

I'll be a bit more coherent later...

but it was good.

*edit. ok i have had a nights sleep and ready to talk about the film.

As I said, it was good. not like, the best movie ever, not even the best SW film ever (imo, that honor still falls to Empire). it had problems, even had a couple parts where it was even kinda cringeworthy (newly suited up Darth Vader's 'NOOOOOO!!!') but ALL the films had their problems, and many of them, the same problms as this one, and we all like those, so enh... the good outweighed the bad for me by quite a lot. I'd place it as better than Jedi, about the same as A New Hope. maybe better, maybe worse, repeated viewings will tell. right from the beginning. it just FELT different than the previous two prequels right off the bat. faster paced, darker and at the same time funnier. funny in a smarter way, the same way the first (last? whatever) ones were funny. no stupid farting jokes, and Jar-Jar slapstick (no Jar-Jar at all aside from a brief non-speaking cameo) like in the other prequels. instead we got stuff like [spoiler]R2-D2 kicking ass in the hangar bay of Grievous's ship, while 'rescuing' Palapatine, which solidified my love for the little droid, cus he's spunky and kicks ass despite not understanding a 'word' he says and him being a rolling garbage can, and it was really funny how he went about hiding from (while Obi-Wan and Anakin screamed for help with the elevator) then beating all those other droids up, the oil slick, all that. It was a nearly botched, hectic rescue which felt the same as the rescue of Princess Leia in tone, while not being repetative.[/spoiler] And R2 rules. It also really surprised you, sometimes with the darkness. especially since the first two went to such pains to be light and kid friendly, I'd even say they were aimed at kids. not this.... i mean. i knew Anakin would turn to the Dark side, but the heinous acts he commmited... [spoiler]like killing younglings at the Jedi temple, though only implied by his lightsaber activating, and you just knew what happened without having to see the slaughter onscreen[/spoiler] was.... unsetling... i heard people behind me audibly gasp and quietly say 'no...' when it happened, but in a good way.

The fights between [spoiler]Yoda and the Emperor, and Obi-Wan and Anakin, and Obi Wan and Grievous[/spoiler] were a ton of fun and really impressive. though the Grievous one probably could have been shorter, but enh. [spoiler]I didn't exactly get my Mace Windu kicking a ton of ass scene, but he did do okay agaisnt the Emperor, and it was a pivotal turning point for Anakin, so hey.[/spoiler]

Though it suffered from the same wooden acting as the others for most of it, Ewan McGreggor seemed able to rise above it at last. I think George wanted restrained largely unemotional perormances(despite being driven by strong emotions like love. which is why i think it sticks out so badly, the driving force of the whole turn to the Darkk side is.... love. and yet we get unemotional performances) for whatever reason (the melodramatic and out of place NOOOOOO!!! aside) because i have seen these actors do better, but this one Ewan managed to be low key, but at the same time he was... charming and you really felt for him (or i did, anyway) when he discovered Anakin had turned to the Dark Side. also, you could feel his pain after [spoiler] he cut off Anakin's legs and arm and he caught on fire, and left him for dead. you could feel that he felt horrible that he wasn't able to get through to him, and it came to that.[/spoiler] Hayden Christiensen was decent in that regard, too. except in scenes with Padme. romantic scenes were forced. but oh well.

that's all I got for now.
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Diablo »

Yep, it was really great.

As you wrote, Bamfette, Episode 2 was better than the first one.
And now, Episode 3 is far better than Episode 2.

I saw it in Paris, and people in the theater were hysterical. Applauses at the beginning and the end, also when [spoiler]Yoda uses the Force, knocking the two Imperial guards unconscious. The fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin holds all its promises. And I really loved the scene of the "66 order", when all jedi knights fall, betrayed, shot in the back. Dark, sad and awesome.
[/spoiler]

This episode is the perfect link between the two trilogies. :bamf
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

oh. for the record, the film needed MORE WOOKIES! :p
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by Diablo
Yep, it was really great.

As you wrote, Bamfette, Episode 2 was better than the first one.
And now, Episode 3 is far better than Episode 2.

I saw it in Paris, and people in the theater were hysterical. Applauses at the beginning and the end, also when [spoiler]Yoda uses the Force, knocking the two Imperial guards unconscious. The fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin holds all its promises. And I really loved the scene of the "66 order", when all jedi knights fall, betrayed, shot in the back. Dark, sad and awesome.
[/spoiler]

This episode is the perfect link between the two trilogies. :bamf
Dont they dubb movies in france too? :smirk
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by BAMFCentral »

Any scene of Yoda or R2D2 Kicking tail got huge uproars of yelling in the theater I saw it.

I think I got sucked into the movie more than Bamfette, the Love story didn't feel that forced to me. In a few scenes yeah it was "star wars acting" during the love moments. But there were several that felt fairly real. His initial turning to the Palpatine was the only part that felt forced to me.... but everyone knew that was were it was all headed.

As for the Obi-Grivous fight, I was hoping for more. It was too short and Grievous didn't come off as that tough of an opponent (at least to me).

Best fighting skills Yoda coming in second R2..... I really think it was the first 15 minutes that I got pulled in and went "hey this is gong to rock"

Favorite Moments[spoiler] 1. R2 burning up two super battle droids.
2. R2 hiding behind a couple of barrels from said battle droids... there some funny moments there I wont spoil
3. Yoda decapitating his would be assassins
4. The use of the Force choke on soemone I didn't expect : )
5. Yoda - Emporer fight

[/spoiler]
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

I agree with you on Grievous not being as tough as expected... [spoiler]i had seen pictures and action figures, and expected him to be this unstoppable killing machine. then we got this hunched over sickly guy in a robot suit coughing like he was about to die every 5 minutes. though when he got going, it was pretty cool. [/spoiler]

and come to think of it, there was one part wtih Anakin and Padme that did resonate with me, and that was the very last time they speak. [spoiler] and not a scene with anyone talking, but the shot of her dead hand clutching that necklace Anakin had given her in the first movie... that was... :cry[/spoiler]
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Slarti »

Well, Scott and I hadn't had any plans to see Episode III any time soon, but thanks to all this yummy spoilerage I think that will change!
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by BAMFCentral »

Just like Empire this is THE film for the first triology... blows the others away.

And there are only 2 Jar-Jar scenes and he doesn't even speak :)

I'll definately be seeing it a couple more times. I got lost just looking at the detail they put into the yoda model, the close-ups of him were simply put amazing.

And there is a lot of stuff people haven't even mentioned yet so you should really enjoy it

I played the video game Ep III and there was still tons of things taht came off as surprises to me.... I'm falsely hoping that there will be an expanded edition to this one some day.. There is just so much there that he could have made longer or expanded on... but thats just the fan boy in me speaking
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Diablo »

Keichi wrote :
Dont they dubb movies in france too?
I don't understand why you're saying this, but I'll answer.
I'm french, but I saw the film in english, with subtitles.
Sometimes you have the choice : the french version or the original one.

Jake, i love your game. I'll play along.
Top 5 favourite moments.
[spoiler]
1. Obi-Wan sceaming "you were the chosen one !" and letting Anakin with no legs and only one arm, in fire and agony.
2. The death of all the Jedis.
3. Yoda versus Palpatine. The little green elf almost had him !!
4. The very last scene with Luke in his aunt and uncle's arms, with Obi-Wan walking away.
5. Padme's funeral with a desperate Jar Jar. I never thought I'd love a Jar Jar scene, but this one was so full of emotion... The loss of inocence and joy.
[/spoiler]

I could go on and on. The scenes you mentioned, Jake, are all awesome.

I can't help it : I'm going to see it tomorrow for the second time.
I know a third (and very probably a fourth) will follow.

I find Ewan Mc Gregor's voice very similar to Alec Guiness in this movie. Because english isn't my first language, I'm perhap's not really good at judging an actor's performance like you do, Jill. But Mc Gregor seemed very convincing to me.

And yes, it is THE film of the first trilogy. :bamf
www.atlantys.biz

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Bamfette »

I think you may have misunderstood me, Diablo. i thought Obi-Wan was the most convincingly played character in the movie. and as for Ewan and Alec speaking alike, it's true... and when we saw the movie, they distributed a little magazine with it, and in it there is a picture where their two faces are halved and placed side by side to form one face, and the similarity in the proportions are astounding. the only REAL difference is that Alec Guinness had really low set ears in comparison, but who pays attention to ears? ertainly never noticed the ears until i saw that picture last night. so the casting of that one was really good and i thought so from the beginning. and Ewan does a very good job of mimicing Alec Guinesses speech. Ewan is a great actor, just watch Trainspotting or Big Fish or any of his other work, and you can see it. which is why his stiffness in the first movie (i presume meant to be Jedi stoicness) was disappointing. i am glad he loosened up a bit in the second, but this one he really nailed it for me. I loved Obi Wan. he felt true to the original movies while being likeable too.

and yeah... favorite 5 parts:

1. [spoiler]Yoda and the Emperor fighting on the Senate floaty seats. especially the part where Yoda got the one spinning real fast and whipped it at the Emperor like a frisbee. it also really showed Yoda's ass-kickatude when he just stopped the Force Lightning with his hand.[/spoiler]
2. R2-D2 in the beginning with the droids. whole rescue, actually. Hilarious and fun. but with some drama mixed in because [spoiler] you just knew Palpatine had set it all up to test Anakin, and the Dooku fight was so like the Vader/Luke fight in Jedi. [/spoiler]
3. Everything from Obi Wan seeing [spoiler]Anakin on the security footage[/spoiler] to him confronting Anakin, and druing the whole fight, not just the fight, but his trying to get through to Anakin and his boundless ego and irrational line of thinking. culminating in that awful (in a good way) moment when [spoiler]Anakin is laying there, crippled and burned and still refusing to let go of his irrational ideas[/spoiler] i felt bad for the both of them.
4. the montage of [spoiler]Anakin being fitted with the Vader suit coupled with Padme's funeral.[/spoiler] no dialogue, very touching.
5. [spoiler]Yoda killing his would-be assassins. [/spoiler]
Diablo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Diablo »

Oops, sorry about the misunderstanding. :D

Yes, Ewan's likeness to Alec Guiness is really welcome.
That is one of the elements that binds the trilogies so well together.

I'm really happy 'cause it seems this final movie reconciliates the old and new fans of Star Wars.
I see happiness all around the Internet and I feel good.
:)

And I love these top5. Who's next ??
www.atlantys.biz

Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Crawler »

C like Star Wars! Star Wars good!

C want see Star Wars again, watch Yoda kick ass again. C like Yoda. C also like [spoiler]Obi-Wan fight Anakin[/spoiler]. Very fast. Very good.

C also like when [spoiler]clones come try kill Yoda and then have heads fall off. Then Yoda put away lightsaber.[/spoiler]
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Episode III (SPOILERS!)

Post by Saint Kurt »

I agree with C!

:)

I've got to see it again before I can formulate any kind of coherent opinions or top 5 moments or anything like that. It's definitely the best of the prequels and it's the most balanced of the 3 when it comes to special effects and story. A New Hope is still my favorite of all time.

Unfortunately that's all I've got to say because what I learned is that working the line for seven hours and then going and seeing a movie at midnight makes for a very long night. It was an amazing night though! The theater had 14 of its 21 screens showing Episode 3 (I thought they all were, I was wrong) and the place was packed with people, some who had been their all week, but most had been there since morning. The real crowds started showing up at about 6pm.

The local Chicago Fan club had purchased 2 entire theaters for its members and friends and I was lucky enough to get a ticket in one of these because the Chicago Force being the ultimate geeks they are, of course arranged to grab the two theaters showing digital projections of the film. (And I learned with Attack of the Clones that digital is really the way to go with these. Since they are filmed with a digital camera – there really is a difference. Plus the sound is just yummy.) But before I could see the film however, I had like 7 hours of lightsaber schmoozing to do.

We arrived at 5pm and met with the Master Replica's marketing team who gave me a red Darth Vader model lightsaber to play with. I'd never held one of their lightsabers up close and immediately fell in love with it because it made all the sounds. It was also well balanced which meant I could do a lot of my fire staff tricks with it. The rep wanted me to try to do two handed tricks with the blue one (the Obi-Wan model I think) but it wasn't as well balanced so I gave it to this guy named Lionel who looks so much like Alec Guinness that people stop him on the street.

Armed with lightsabers, t-shirts, hats, and 25% off coupons about 5 of us worked the lines handing stuff out and showing off the lightsabers. To be honest, it didn't make a lot of sense because a lot of people in the lines already had them. Then I discovered that you could actually clack two of the lightsabers together without hurting them (and they made the sound when they hit!) and started challenging people to duels. That was pretty fun and people really got into it.

The news was all over us and I got interviewed a lot, but I don't think I actually made it on to any broadcasts because they were of course going for the extreme freak factor and I'm not a rabid Star Wars fan like a lot of the other folks in costume are. For a while I had my friend Tate who is another martial arts/kendo guy working the Master Replica's thing and we choreographed a short duel that was used for every channel's "live breaking news report" from the Star Wars line. The coolest thing was that my friend Kathy (she organizes all these costumed character appearances – she's how I got to appear as Nightcrawler at the museum last summer) got an exclusive story. The 6 o'clock news went to her house and she got to talk about all the costumes she makes and her involvement in fan clubs etc… It was very cool that she got some recognition for all that hard work she does.

I just realized that this is long as hell and has very little to do with the movie itself. I guess that's because in a way, for me, these movies are less about the movie and more about the experience. I was really tired on Wednesday and wasn't sure how I was going to get the energy to interact with the crowd, but once I saw how stoked everyone was to be there seeing this film, I was completely wired. It's like I find that little piece of myself where I'm six years old and seeing Star Wars for the first time, channel it, and I'm a little kid again.

That's #1 of my top 5 moments right there.
-e