mysteries of the natural world (cryptozoology, new species,

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Everybody who post to this thread have heard of bigfoot.
http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/gallery.php
theres some famous photos of bigfoot. although, this question is allways brought up "why are the pictures allways shitty like that?" and thats one of my favorite comments to pictures i see about different things like bigfoot.
I dont remember where, but there was a picture from the beginning of the 1900 century where you can see an big ape dead ape, wich some poachers shot in U.S they said "it attacked us from the forrest, and as we shot it. Another ran from the forest" so. Maybe they exist maybe they dont. Yeti, bigfoot etc.
i think they are early human species that have survived from the prehistoric age's.
wsg
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wsg »

.....oh........
"It's one o'clock bub! Time ta get yer face ripped off!"--Logan
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

mysteries of the natural world (cryptozoology, new species, weird science)

Post by Angelique »

I don't think, assuming they exist, that they're early humans at all. My husband and I had the privilege of visiting with, on a couple of occassions, a biologist specializing in primate anatomy (who is now a leading expert on Bigfoot), and he's of the opinion that Bigfoot is no human or proto-human missing link, but most certainly an ape, probably descended from, if not, gigantopithicus itself.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

most certainly an ape, one of a kind.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Everybody who post to this thread have heard of bigfoot.
http://www.oregonbigfoot.com/gallery.php
theres some famous photos of bigfoot. although, this question is allways brought up "why are the pictures allways shitty like that?" and thats one of my favorite comments to pictures i see about different things like bigfoot.
I dont remember where, but there was a picture from the beginning of the 1900 century where you can see an big ape dead ape, wich some poachers shot in U.S they said "it attacked us from the forrest, and as we shot it. Another ran from the forest" so. Maybe they exist maybe they dont. Yeti, bigfoot etc.
i think they are early human species that have survived from the prehistoric age's.
if i am thinking of the same picture, that was revealed to be an artfully arranged Spider Monkey in the photo... perhaps another species of monkey. they're on a boat, and the head is supported on the barrel of their gun, yes? they admitted it was a fake. it's in one of my Cryptozoology books, i think Cryptozoology A to Z.

as for Bigfoot goes, this is going to get long.... but....

i find it difficult to believe. I know the whole fun of Cryptozoology is the 'what if' but i personally don't put stock in crypto that's not much more than urban legends. Bigfoot and Yeti are a notch above, like, Mothman, but.... I might be able to accept it if it was restricted to one part of the world, OR more evidence had shown itself by now.

see... for Bigfoot/Yeti/whatever the evidence is rather dubious, as far as i can gather, despite people looking for a very long time for anything. People started looking years and years ago for evidence because of stories. They haven't found a tooth? nothing but some footprints and inconclusive samples of hair? dozens of footprints survive, but not one skeleton? much of it has been proven to be fake, other evidence is open to opinion as to wether it's real or not, none that I am aware of has actually been proven to come from a new species of ape. You'd think that, in ALL this time, with all the people who are fixated on this, with all the people who are looking or have looked in the past, that SOMETHING would have come up by now. it's really hard to hide evidence of a breeding population of 7 foot tall bipedal apes for long. much less TWO populations of them (Yeti and Bigfoot) remarkably similar in appearance despite being seperated by vast distances, could actually be alive. remember, we're not talking about one creature. we're talking about enough individuals to continue the species. they should at LEAST be able to test the hair and determine if it's from a primate or not. to my knowledge they haven't even done this.

On the other hand.... people started looking less than TEN years ago (much less than Bigfoot ot Yeti) for evidence of another wild man from stories.... and found it very shortly after. I do believe, based on the evidence, a second species of human co-existed with modern humans. but they were hardly big. ;) Homo Floresiensis. and i believe the possibility, though remote, exists that they lived until historical times, possibly as little as a four hundred years ago. I believe it is less likely but still within the realm of possibility that they may still be out there in a highly isolated population. but that's because we have bones. we can test it for DNA and compare it to our own, it's tangible, and comes from reliable sources. and it took them no time at all to find it, and they already have skeletons of 9 specimens.

so yeah. i find the prospect of a new species of human being described by science, be it Bigfoot or Yeti, to be.... unlikely. not impossible. but i'm not holding out much hope. and most likely they would be, if they existed, a type of human by definition - homo sapiens is the only known LIVING species of human. but there have been several in the past, and from what i can tell, they would most likely not be the same species, but they would most likely, (unless bipedalism and a shape remarkably similar to our own evolved independently twice (or even three or more times) independently.... which is possible, but not very likely) be in the genus Homo, which means they would technically be human.

anyway. finally found some new weird science for this thread....

1.5 million men in China have been taced back to one man who lived 500 years ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396246.stm

I just.... find the ammount of work needed to complete that study amazing, as well as am kind of awed at how fast a population started from one proginator can grow.... granted. there were factors at work which involved concubines and multiple wives... but still ;)
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja Bamfette

if i am thinking of the same picture, that was revealed to be an artfully arranged Spider Monkey in the photo... perhaps another species of monkey. they're on a boat, and the head is supported on the barrel of their gun, yes?

see... for Bigfoot/Yeti/whatever the evidence is rather dubious, as far as i can gather, despite people looking for a very long time for anything. People started looking years and years ago for evidence because of stories. They haven't found a tooth? nothing but some footprints and inconclusive samples of hair? much of it has been proven to be fake, other is open to opinion as to wether it's real or not, none that i am aware of has actually been proven to come from a new species of ape. you'd think that, in ALL this time, with all the people who are fixated on this, with all the people who are looking or have looked in the past, that SOMETHING would have come up by now. it's really hard to hide evidence of a breeding population of 7 foot tall bipedal apes for long. much less TWO populations of them (Yeti and Bigfoot) remarkably similar in appearance despite being seperated by vast distances, could actually be alive.
Yes, the same picture.
And second. In my opinion, that thing you said about the evidence goes with all of the things like Lake monsters new jersey devil etc. I would think that with the technical stuff people have at their hands they would find few bigfoots/monsters etc. But they havent found anything. This means for me that at this point none of these things exist.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

pretty much, yep. don't believe in Nessie, Ogopogo or any of them, either. ;)

I DO believe there are animals out there we haven't discovered yet. like we've discovered a few new species if mammal within the past 20 years. some fairly large, like deer. ones that are pretty distinct, even. I believe some animals, like the Tasmanian Wolf, that are thought to be extinct, could still be out there. horribly inbred, most likely, but out there. but i think Nessie, Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, Mothman, and all are cool stories, but not much more.

and heh. you caught me mid edit. I decided i could say it better. :P

and HAH! was skimming over this thread, and looks like C was right. ANOTHER giant was found.... right where he predicted, in a rainforest. and it's blatantly obvious that it's one of the Colossi from the game. it really does look like it was all a huge (heh) marketing ploy for Shadow of Colossus. check the giant link again: http://www.giantology.typepad.com/
I've gotten a TON of comments on the Incan Statue, and it appears to be one of the Colossi. The question now is - did the game developers base their creatures on real findings of giant bones and statues? Could this be an actual real-life discovery? Or have we all been hoodwinked by some clever advertisers? Your comments, por favor!
C's post for those too lazy to go back :P
Originally posted by Crawler
On the Giants...

In my opinion, it's almost definitely all a hoax of some sort. Most likely, it seems, it's a marketing campaign...possibly for Shadow of Colossus, a videogame.

I think this because, from a storytelling pov, it all fits a "Rate of Revelation" type setup...as well as there's one huge redflag for me: Where the giants were found.

Think about it: One found underwater. One found on a beach. One found half-covered in snow. One found in the desert. That's a lot of different environments! Especially all at once!

They're either going out of their way to make them seem unrelated, or the next one will be in a forest, swamp, or on a volcano...just to keep with the different environments trend.

hoaxes, hoaxes everywhere... now i'm thinking the giantology site in itself is a hoax, not just a victim of it. seriously. have we seen these giants reported anywhere else?

i must go googling now...
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

I've gotten a TON of comments on the Incan Statue, and it appears to be one of the Colossi. The question now is - did the game developers base their creatures on real findings of giant bones and statues? Could this be an actual real-life discovery? Or have we all been hoodwinked by some clever advertisers? Your comments, por favor!
C's post for those too lazy to go back :P
Originally posted by Crawler
On the Giants...

In my opinion, it's almost definitely all a hoax of some sort. Most likely, it seems, it's a marketing campaign...possibly for Shadow of Colossus, a videogame.

I think this because, from a storytelling pov, it all fits a "Rate of Revelation" type setup...as well as there's one huge redflag for me: Where the giants were found.

Think about it: One found underwater. One found on a beach. One found half-covered in snow. One found in the desert. That's a lot of different environments! Especially all at once!

They're either going out of their way to make them seem unrelated, or the next one will be in a forest, swamp, or on a volcano...just to keep with the different environments trend.

hoaxes, hoaxes everywhere... now i'm thinking the giantology site in itself is a hoax, not just a victim of it. seriously. have we seen these giants reported anywhere else?
Yeap, its probably a hoax, but a well done hoax :P
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

indeed. i'm quite impressed. look at all the websites they must have had to make, complete with photos of the 'discoverers' and then crafting elaboarate fake footage to go along with it. i think they made the giantology site just to have some way to tie them all together... this took a lot of effort.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

indeed. i'm quite impressed. look at all the websites they must have had to make, complete with photos of the 'discoverers' and then crafting elaboarate fake footage to go along with it. this took a lot of effort.
With the money sony has and with the money they get from this. Its not a miracle :P
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

no... but still very elaborate for a marketing plan. usually it's like 'ok lets throw together a few flashy commercials' but this?

one thing i noticed, and they were really smart to do, was they start off with incredibly vague footage, it's hard to tell what you're looking at, till by the time you get to the ice one, it looks suspicious, (well, the others were suspicious too since i didn't see them on any major news sites, which i found odd) then the most recent, it's BLATANTLY obvious.
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Ha! I knew it! :D Sometimes it's nice to be right.

As for Nessie and Ogopogo and the other lake monsters...I really want to believe they're out there, in some form, but it gets more and more unlikely the longer we go without any real evidence. I mean, living in the age we live in, SOMEONE would have a clear photo or video.

But I was always fond of the "long-necked pinnepeds" theory, wherein these animals are essentially sea lions with long necks.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
wsg
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wsg »

Oh I believe in Nessie and Ogopogo and the like. They're just water dweling dinos that survived the flood in the Bible.
"It's one o'clock bub! Time ta get yer face ripped off!"--Logan
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja wsg
Oh I believe in Nessie and Ogopogo and the like. They're just water dweling dinos that survived the flood in the Bible.
Hmm.. but i thought there was no dinosaurus in the bible :?
and even if there was, shouldnt noah had taken two of each dinosaurus to the ark with him. I mean i thought the idea of the ark was to save the animals from the flood wich was supposed to kill all the sinner people?
arent those somehow in conflict with eachother now, i mean your saying, the dinosaurus and the bible? :smirk
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

The Bible never says that there were no dinosaurs.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

I went to Whois just now looking into the validity of the Colossi websites, but they did a good job of covering their tracks.... the giantology site itself is hosted on a public blogging site, so no whois registry to check, the rest are foreign and/or they used domain registering services which hide the true name of the registrar.... does not appear to be an easy way to trace them back to Sony.

and.... the bible does not mention dinosaurs, no, which is hardly surprising since the term 'dinosaur' was coined LONG after the bible was in circulation. but it mentions the Behemoth and Leviathan and such. answersingenesis.com and the Creation Science Museum among others are attempting to 'take back' the dinosaurs so they can make Genesis look scientific. but, assuming a young earth standpoint.... among other things, if every species animal that we have evidence for but is now extinct lived all at one time, along with all the species that are alive today (presumably the ones that fit on the Ark) they would have had to stand ontop of eachother to fit on the surface of the earth. ( http://www.religioustolerance.org/oldearth2.htm ) I mean we have dinosaurs, which were enormous as a rule, mastadons, giant sloths, dragonflies that were 3 feet long, trilobites, all the animals that have gone extinct in historical times, etc etc etc. all alive at the same time? even if we assume a population of max 4 each, it's just physically and logically impossible for it to be true. some creationists argue that God created 'kinds' and that they can evolve within their kind which accounts for the diversity of life we see today. this would lessen the problem somewhat, even though it does not account for the fossils we have of extinct animals, and presents new problems, like evolution happening FAR faster than what we have observed. but....

I agree it would be nice if Nessie, Champ or Ogopogo were alive. it would be very cool. but it just doesn't look like it's true. the famous photograph of Nessie's flipper that was in National Geographic was proven to be heavily doctored, and that was about thebest evidence they had... they've gone over the lake conutless times with sonar and other high tech goodies and keep coming up empty handed...
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Not to mention that there's not enough water on the planet to cause a global flood...and if there was, we'd all drown breathing the air...because it would be something like 80% water vapor...

But that God could do whatever the hell he wanted, eh?

Basically, with the lake monsters, either they don't have to come up for air, aren't NEARLY as large as people say, or they don't exist.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

65 new species of Slime Mold Beetles discovered and given interesting names.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

heh! slime beetles...

so anyway. i am sure people have heard by now they've done the worlds first face transplant

I just wanted to say, i think it's a remarkable thing to give this woman the prospect of a new life, where whe will be able to function normally again and not be stared at as a freak, from how they described her injuries, i just can't imagine having to live with half my face missing... no mouth, no expressions, not being able to eat or talk properly, so i think this genuinely was the very best option for her, and i wish her the best in her recovery.

went browsing tonight, and came up with a handful of other interesting links....

Scientists genetically engeneer a mouse able to regrow lost limbs, and even its HEART. what's REALLY interesting is if cells are transplanted from this mouse's liver into another mouse, the other mouse develops these abilities as well. next up - we all become Wolverine :P
http://www.goodnewsblog.com/2005/08/28/ ... lost-limbs

the good news blog didn't seem particularly.... authorative to me... and it seemed too good to be true. so I did go looking for information on the scientist they mention, Ellen Heber-Katz and it all seems genuine. it looks as though she stumbled on this almost by accident (developed the strain of mice to test something else) around 2000.

12 year old girl who still looks like an infant....
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9778227/

at the other end of the spectrum, a superbaby - able to lift 7 pounds with arms outstretched (a feat for many average adults) and only 5 years old.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5278028/?GT1=3584

apparently, you can cross a whale and a dolphin:

"Kekaimalu, the world's only known living wholphin, swims next to her baby calf (bottom left) in this photo handout from the Sea Life Park Hawaii."

this is the only living whale/dolphin hybrid in existance. not too surprising, no more than ligers, genetically. though the size difference must have been an issue... and dolphins have.... unusual mating habits.... what suprises me most is that she is fertile. female hybrids are more often fertile than male, and it's how they breed a few domestic/wild cat breeds, but even so, considering she's the first, i'm surprised...

oh, and that reminds me. I'll have to go looking for the link, will be back wih it. but apparently they ahve observed dolphins in the wild using tools, holding sponges in their mouth to get food. what's really interesting is, not ALL dolphins do this, only one family, they are taught by their mother, then they teach their daughters. rarely males, since they don't stay with the pod like females do.

and - hee!: http://ef.cdpa.nsysu.edu.tw/fun/monkeykicks.mpg
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Scientists genetically engeneer a mouse able to regrow lost limbs, and even its HEART. what's REALLY interesting is if cells are transplanted from this mouse's liver into another mouse, the other mouse develops these abilities as well. next up - we all become Wolverine :P
http://www.goodnewsblog.com/2005/08/28/ ... lost-limbs
Now the mouse only lacks admantium skeleton.
;pant
If that would work on humans. positively it would mean no dying "in easy ways" but negatively it would mean that world population would just grow and grow you know . :/
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

they said in the article that humans do posess the correct genes, but they need to be 'turned on' i guess. but there's no telling what the long term effect of that could be. it could mean we age too fast, for instance. so it's good they are testing on mice...

but if it proves feasable, it could mean repairing spinal chord injuries, it could mean a face transplant like above would not even be necessary, regrow a lost limb, a damaged heart would not require a transplant or dangerous surgery (just care enough to allow it to heal) etc.

but yeah, if it meant we just never died, overpopulation is ALREADY a problem....

more info on the strain of mice: http://jaxmice.jax.org/jaxmice-cgi/jaxm ... ock=000486

yes, you can buy them.

and i was able to find a much more in depth article
http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68962,00.html
i suspect the Nature article would be the best of the bunch, but is (paid) subscription only

oh and, still browsing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

very lifelike robot. kinda creepy in a way.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4714135.stm

very lifelike robot. kinda creepy in a way.
Another invention for lonely working japanese men :P
seriously if you browse net about things that have been made for hard working japanese men, there are things you wouldnt never belive to exist :P
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

oh, i'd believe it... my uncle used to live in Japan. heard stories...
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

It's late, I havent looked through the whole thread, but what with the talks of apes and bigfoot, has anyone else here heard of Oliver? He's a chimp-like creature who walked upright, though not through training. His bone configurment made it necessary for him to always walk upright, unlike chimps, whose bones were arranged in a way that walking upright for long periods of time can be painful....

http://paranormal.about.com/library/wee ... 22800a.htm here's a link about him...

It's interesting, because while they found he is definitively a chimp (though there was speculation he was the result of beastiality at some point, until they put that to the test [on a molecular level..they didnt just start screwing apes :p] and found it impossible....this was back in the 70s), there is no real explanation for why he is SO different from other chimps....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

Speaking of dogs & cryptozoology... You're not gonna like this one, folks... but it's interesting. In the 1950's, Russian scientists grafted the head of one dog onto another, and thus a two headed dog. (How awful for the poor things!) The results of the experiment did not live too long, fortunately.