mysteries of the natural world (cryptozoology, new species,

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

Finnally!
I can have glow in the dark bacon!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Hmm.. russia.. i dont know if its been here before.
But a bit of time ago, there was a cat with wings born in russia.
Ofcourse it lived about 2h before villagers killed it with belief that it was actually a messenger of satan.

heres a pic from a news site

if that would have born in somewhere else.
It would probably been kept alive for research.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Hm. Death by superstition or vivisection- which would have been worse for the poor cat?
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Oh rats, I was going to post that story about glow-in-the-dark pigs but Garble beat me to it.

Don't ask me about the usefullness of flourescent green pigs. Sheep would have been more interesting. I'd love to have a glow-in-the-dark sweater. :D
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja Angelique
Hm. Death by superstition or vivisection- which would have been worse for the poor cat?
Atleast people would know, why the cat had wings.
in my opinion i dont think its as bad as killing it with throwing stones.
rad_666
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by rad_666 »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Alkuperäinen postittaja Angelique
Atleast people would know, why the cat had wings.
in my opinion i dont think its as bad as killing it with throwing stones.
People shouldn't be killling cats anyway! sick folk. *grumbles*
Can you hear me?
Are you near me?
Can we pretend, to leave and then
We'll meet again
When both our cars collide :dance

I AM THE LOLLY LADY! :eeevil bow to meh :worship :eeevil
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

again wrong topic, maybe i should go to bed.

(delete?)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Ofcourse it lived about 2h before villagers killed it with belief that it was actually a messenger of satan.

hm. messybeast.com had an excellent resource page about 'winged' cats, but it seems to be 'forbidden' now... thank goodness for Google ;) http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:w99 ... +cat&hl=en

basically - it's most likely a case of matted fur and nothing more. possibly a case of extra legs or skin flaps, but either way, it's not new. the picture isn't of the Russian cat, btw.

I went looking for info on the two headed dog and came across this

http://216.247.9.207/ny-best.htm

:LOL 99% sure its a hoax :p

though, disturbig as transplanted heads are, in the late thirties, Russian scientists decapitated dogs and kept the head alive for several hours. this was reasearch on the way to producing a heart/lung machine.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja Bamfette

hm. messybeast.com had an excellent resource page about 'winged' cats, but it seems to be 'forbidden' now... thank goodness for Google ;) http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:w99 ... +cat&hl=en

basically - it's most likely a case of matted fur and nothing more. possibly a case of extra legs or skin flaps, but either way, it's not new. the picture isn't of the Russian cat, btw.

though, disturbig as transplanted heads are, in the late thirties, Russian scientists decapitated dogs and kept the head alive for several hours. this was reasearch on the way to producing a heart/lung machine.
:LOL who the heck would trust, his/her's own brains to them :P
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Originally posted by Bamfette

Even if they WERE able to do brain transplants, where are they getting the younger bodies from?

I found a couple more links about winged cats. In the first link, most of them look like cases of matted long fur. The second link is a bit more interesting.

Area 51 Central - Winged cats

http://ragemanchoo.tripod.com/ourcats.html
Scroll down to the bottom.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
Area 51 Central - Winged cats

http://ragemanchoo.tripod.com/ourcats.html
Scroll down to the bottom.
I looked at the second link and they are matts too. You can see if you look at the cat closely where the fur is shorter (where the flap of the mat would fit if you pushed it into position) and in fact you can even see some skin where the mat was likely torn away and then left dangling on each side. The whole bleeding thing is probabally when the cat ran through a small opening or something and ripped the remaining attached haur off - and as you can well imagine yanking a sudden large hunk of hair off can be tramatizing for the skin that it was previously attached to. I have seen many many cats with mats exactly like these.

Another likely scenario would be the person with good intentions that cut the mats off, but doesn't know how to do it and inadvertantly cuts a good hunk of skin off at the same time (when you pull a mat upwards the skin tents as well and it is suprizingly easy to then cut the skin that is tented up unless you are very careful).

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Even if they WERE able to do brain transplants, where are they getting the younger bodies from?
We're in luck! The in thing now is young bodies with old heads!

And if you can place that quote, I'll marry you...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

The winged cats have a condition known as "feline cutaneous asthenia." Sorry to take the mystery away, kids! It is a feline dermatological condition which the vet can treat in the office. Something is wrong with kitty's skin around her shoulders, and it stretches out somehow, looking like "wings."
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

Golden Girls :p
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Alkuperäinen postittaja thylacine
The winged cats have a condition known as "feline cutaneous asthenia." Sorry to take the mystery away, kids! It is a feline dermatological condition which the vet can treat in the office. Something is wrong with kitty's skin around her shoulders, and it stretches out somehow, looking like "wings."
cat with wings could be as possible as frog, snake or a goat with two heads.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Garble
Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette

Golden Girls :p
HA! I love you Garbs!!!

Ok, but if we're gonna get married, you best be moving to NY!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Alkuperäinen postittaja thylacine
cat with wings could be as possible as frog, snake or a goat with two heads.
no, they're completely different. An animal with two heads is just twinning gone wrong, an egg failed to split all the way, that's all.

Wings on the other hand, REAL wings, as opposed to extra legs (again twinning gone wrong) or skin flaps (genetic mutation affecting the skin) requires creating bones, muscle and skin that are nowhere in the cat's genetic history. It is way beyond a mutations ability to produce results like that. Vertibates beyond fish typically are only supposed to have 4 limbs (aside from eggs failing to split as mentioned, or as sometimes happens with frogs, the egg is disturbed during development, causing duplicate body parts). That's just how they evolved, evolution works slowly, so it works with what is there, adapting limbs, not creating new ones. So every single vertibate animal on the face of the planet, barring misshaps with the egg's development, has (or had at one time in its genetic past) 4 limbs, simple as that. Even snakes in their genetic history had 4 limbs as shown in fossils and modern snakes still have evidence in their skeleton that they at one time had those limbs. so a snake being born with legs, while rare, wouldn't be beyond possibility, it would just be a throwback to it's genetic past, which happens from time to time. A cat, however, has NOTHING in its genetic past that had 6 limbs, let alone 2 of those limbs being specialized as wings.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

I agree with Bamfette! Something as useless to a cat as a mutation for skin flaps won't be a favorable trait to pass down. (Especially if they catch on things or people mistake them for messangers of satan). And they and the entire cat would have to be drastically modified for flight - which would take millions of years and doesn't seem likely to happen.

Children's books aside

Given time, they could probably engineer one though - as horrible an idea as that is.

(And the green ham isn't for eating (at least I don't think so) - they were created that way because the phosphorous helps scientists study the tissues. Their insides glow just like their outsides do.)
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Post by Crawler »

Yes, the green pigs are definitely NOT for eating, as they're not only green, but also "transgenic"...which, IIRC, means that they have inserted genes which make them more human-compatible (originally for organ transplants but more recently for research that is illegal or distasteful to do on humans) and I believe that there's a kind of unanimous thinking that eating them would be akin to cannibalism.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Talking about odd cats, here's a link a friend of mine posted in her LJ the other day -

Cyclops kitten

Although there is a question that this picture is legit, these things do happen occasionally.

The college where I teach has a fairly large collection of preserved zoological samples. One of these samples has become something of a college legend. Every semester I have at least one student that asks to see the "two headed" kitten. It doesn't actually have two heads but it does have two distinct faces - two mouths, four sets of eyes etc. It was born dead and donated to the college more than twenty years ago.

Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

Yeah, i heard about the cyclops kitty. poor thing.

found this today, an interesting article on accupuncture: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4631930.stm
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

That one eyed kitty is so sad. It only lived a day.
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by thylacine »

That is very cool. Okay. Now, when are they gonna find the last of the thylacines!!!
Garble
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Garble »