The Empire Strikes Bush

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 00615.html

Found this on Vaughan's board..thought it interesting to share...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by Bamfette »

Interesting, but not all that surprising. I had been seeing paralells between Bush and some dictators for a while. he's trying to wrest more control than was actually given him when he was elected in the first place. All his talk about bringing democracy to the rest of the world and blah blah and he's actually slowly eroding at his own democracy. Luckily, he does not seem to be as shrewed as past examples so with term limits it is unlikely to have any substantial lasting impact. at least i hope not because i have no interest living in (or next to, at any rate) a theocracy, which is what the Christian Reconstructionist movement is hoping Bush will do for them (though i doubt he would go that far). It may just take something simply told (I love Star Wars, but deep it ain't. it has historical parallels and all, but they're fairly basic) for the average joe to see it.
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by thylacine »

George Lucas is damn right, people! You may all think the man is a sci fi geek with a lot of money, but he is very, very smart and has a lot to say in his stories.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by thylacine
George Lucas is damn right, people! You may all think the man is a sci fi geek with a lot of money, but he is very, very smart and has a lot to say in his stories.
WoW that was something completely new (Sarcasm)

:shocked
thylacine
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by thylacine »

Yeah, yeah... I know... FYI people, the other day I watched a video (still don't have a DVD player) of Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911." I sat watching the credits... I noticed that the company Skywalker Sound was listed as helping make the movie -- which is of course owned by you know who -- the Jedi Master himself!!!
Winged Outlaw
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Banned

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by Winged Outlaw »

God this is awesome. Now I want to see Bush in a robe fighting off yoda in the middle of the Capitol building. He uses the dark powers of the force to chuck chairs or unconverted Democrats at the furry little bastard until the Empire reigns for real!

Though I gotta say that the article claiming that this is some kind of scathing political commentary is stretching things pretty thin. The sentiments expressed within are nothing that your average high school government student would spout out just to look cool and intellectual. As far as the movie itself is concerned, I agree with Maddox.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by NightPoofer »

Well... I think that it's just funny :lol

Do you think that Star Wars is saying that Bush is PURE EVIL? Seems so if you read between the lines too much... I was talking to someone about the movie and the parallels to George Bush and they took things a bit too literally. The question "So Who's Anakin Supposed To Be?" came up... :rolleyes

Wonder how George Bush likes being called a Sith Lord... :smirk
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by Bamfette »

not 'pure evil' but it does show that such actions, even with good intentions, usually turn out very badly. the Emperor was a power hungry, manipulative, evil man, but Anakin was not. he did what he did with good intentions, but it turned out horribly. I think Bush is more like Anakin. he's idealistic, he wants good, but he is going about achieving what he wants all wrong. It seems as though he wants everyone to share his ideals. he believes his ideals are good, and everyone would be better off if they were to believe as he did. but he does not realize 2 things. first that enforcing morality and values is not in his job description, and secondly that his values are good for him, but not necessarily for everyone. and i believe he is being manipulated behind the scenes.
NightPoofer
Navigator
Navigator

The Empire Strikes Bush

Post by NightPoofer »

Originally posted by Bamfette
and i believe he is being manipulated behind the scenes.
:lol

"Ever notice that George Bush doesn't speak when Dick Cheney is drinking water?" -Robin Williams