Where're you from?

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Where're you from?

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

snow isnt anything new, the new thing is that this is the first september, we havent had any snow for like 7 years.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where're you from?

Post by Angelique »

Well, it stands to reason you'd get snow a bit sooner. And of course, every time I'd be amazed that we could get a blizzard in the middle of June (because no matter how long it's been since I lived in California, I still tend to be a bit overly impressed with snow) all the Scandinavians and Canadians I know would say, "Oh, that's nothing!"
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Where're you from?

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Angelique
Well, it stands to reason you'd get snow a bit sooner. And of course, every time I'd be amazed that we could get a blizzard in the middle of June (because no matter how long it's been since I lived in California, I still tend to be a bit overly impressed with snow) all the Scandinavians and Canadians I know would say, "Oh, that's nothing!"
Tell me about it, that time we had snow in our town, I was too younge to remember...and it was more like sleet.
Bakersfeild gets it more often than us and its usually hotter there. I have to wait till winter and then go up to the mountains for snow...oh how I do so love it's white fluffyness...untill you walk into a hollow and get stuck waist deep.
one name: Bruce Campbell
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where're you from?

Post by Angelique »

Oh, I remember. Growing up in Los Angeles, snow wasn't a weather condition. It was something we went to. We didn't go to Mammoth or Frazier Park or Tahoe. (Actually, I never went to Tahoe, anyway.) We "went to the snow." And I remember getting calls from my old buddies in the San Fernando Valley, all excited over how they got a half inch of snow and all the schools closed.
Here, the snow comes to us, usually in feet. And the schools don't close unless the roads are completely blocked off, we have white-out conditions, the building furnaces fail, or if the temperatures get so low the kids can't wait outside for the busses without risking certain frostbite. And on a good day, I can usually strap on my nordic skis and just whisk out the door.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Where're you from?

still its november 6th, by this time there should be some snow out there.
Instead its raining in there right now.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where're you from?

Post by Angelique »

We're getting the same weather here! Though the forecast calls for snow tonight!

Silent Crawler
Lubber
Lubber

Where're you from?

Post by Silent Crawler »

I live in Arizona. I've never even SEEN snow before... well, not in real life at least.

Yeah, I know. I'm weird. :D
I'll have to go on a road trip to a colder region.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Where're you from?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I went to Arizona a while back and being the tourists we were, we decided to go to the Grand Canyon, but it was snowing so the Canyon was closed.. I say you won't have to go too far to find snow where you live.. unless my family suddenly caused a weater anomaly..
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Where're you from?

Alkuperäinen postittaja Blue_Demon94
I went to Arizona a while back and being the tourists we were, we decided to go to the Grand Canyon, but it was snowing so the Canyon was closed.. I say you won't have to go too far to find snow where you live.. unless my family suddenly caused a weater anomaly..
Is it normal that it snows in grand canyon?
i mean, its now Novemberr 8th, it should have been snowed atleast last in the end of last month in here. I mean its just raining and theres +10c out there it should be -15c at this time of the year.
Silent Crawler
Lubber
Lubber

Where're you from?

Post by Silent Crawler »

Well, it does snow up north a bit, but that's still hours away from my house.

But my car is dead, so a roadtrip to anywhere snowy is kind of out of the question. ;)
theatrepirate
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Where're you from?

Post by theatrepirate »

Ah....snow. We don't really have snow much here in Atlanta (occasional dustings, perhaps, and a blizzard for us is 5 or 6 inches.) But... we have ICE! Heck yeah! Nasty stuff! It's funny how many people from the northern end of the States move down here, laughing at us and thinking they can drive in it. But they can't, and we don't have near the snow equipment to tackle it. So...instead of snow days out of school...the last several years, we've had ice days.

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Where're you from?

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

It snows here every year, but it hasn't been that much (last year it snowed a lot, but it wasn't too high) the most snow I have ever seen in my life was during the Blizzard of 96.. if I find a pic I'll post it, but the mound of snow was higher than my pool, which was a pretty big pool to begin with.. I remember my dog had been outside at the time and couldn't get back to the house (he was in the front yard during the night, and I guess he woke up to the giant mound of snow and couldn't get around it) so he just dug a circle around him and was walking around it when we went outside to play in the snow.. Best snow day(s) ever!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Where're you from?

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Casshern
Is it normal that it snows in grand canyon?
i mean, its now Novemberr 8th, it should have been snowed atleast last in the end of last month in here. I mean its just raining and theres +10c out there it should be -15c at this time of the year.
It's a yearly thing I'm pretty sure. Kingman, AZ gets snow every year, why not good old G-Canyon.

Where I live, we're too close to the ocean to get proper snow...which would be any..We had rain about two days ago, nonstop, and we had quite abit earlier on this year..alot actually. Not at all usual for this Part of CA, because technically it's a desert also.
The temps have been from 54 F and 80F, nowhere near cold enough for snow (32F...or at least sleet).
We sure have wind though!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Where're you from?

ive allways thought that grand canyon is in texas etc.
getting a bit worried. its now the middle of the september, and no snow, just raining and its still +10c warm. Usually it should be like -20c and snowing like hell. Its the global warming i tell you. The Greenhouse.. whatever i cant translate it.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Where're you from?

Post by Angelique »

That's all right. You seem to know more about the US than many people here know about Finland, myself included. :blush

CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Where're you from?

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Casshern
ive allways thought that grand canyon is in texas etc.
getting a bit worried. its now the middle of the september, and no snow, just raining and its still +10c warm. Usually it should be like -20c and snowing like hell. Its the global warming i tell you. The Greenhouse.. whatever i cant translate it.
Well, global warming is a difficult theory to use. See, the earth naturally cools and warms, it has a cycle, though it happens slowly over time. It is very possible that we could be in a warming stage of this natural cycle...or what I tend to believe more is global warming do to the greenhouse affect and our using lots of things that emit pollution that is unable to escape the atmosphere, trapping more and more infrared rays warming the atmoshphere...*goes crazy*and can melt the polar icecaps changing the current in the ocean due to the fresh cold water messing up the haloclines and thermoclines, causing mass havoc on the weather system while the excess water from the caps flood California and Hawaii is nomore! *pantpantpant*

sorry...a little moment should fix me up..just a tick.:toothy

Finland is not the only place with odd weather though, so don't feel too woried...yet.;)

Edit:

This is more like the "Where are you from/ weather" thread isn't it?
Baby_Nighty
Lubber
Lubber

Where're you from?

Post by Baby_Nighty »

i'm in the old USA .... haha :?
Saffire
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Where're you from?

Post by Saffire »

I'm from Canada, eh. I'm a chick and I love animals and I love x-men. I don't buy the comics but watch the moves, watched the shows, and have bought a few books that have x-men stories ior facts in them. If I ever post a series of jumbled letters and numbers it was probably my cat jumping on the keyboard while trying to get my attantion or on his way to watch the birds outside the window. Attached is a pic of him.

[Edited on 21/7/06 by Saffire]

[Edited on 21/7/06 by Saffire]
I am no longer a knight who says NEE! I am a knight who says Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm
InvisibleWoman
Lubber
Lubber

Where're you from?

Post by InvisibleWoman »

I live about 5 minutes from Detroit, Michigan... its pretty bad here
Heather AKA InvisibleWoman
who says girls only care about our hair and nails... Can you say stereotype? Welcome to the 21st century!
ferusangelus
Lubber
Lubber

Where're you from?

Post by ferusangelus »

I am in San Diego, California. The sun here, it never freaking stops shining. We have three seasons; hot, warm and cool enough for coats. It rains now and then from Sept through Feb, but very very little most of the time. And then when there is a downpour, no one can drive and the freeways are insane, and people are on the news because they thought they could drive their SUV across three feet of water in the areas that flood due to poor planning.

We rarely get thunder; you hear one peal and it's like 'well there went the thunderstorm!'

I was born and raised here. I'm not a diurnal, sunny person, but it's my home. It is however incredibly expensive to live here, so I don't know why people keep coming here for the weather when the cheapest gas is $2.45/gallon, the public transportation is not so great compared to oh anywhere esle and a one bedroom apartment in a bad neighborhood is $950/mo and I'm not kidding.

But! We have Comic Con! :D

I love experiencing seasons in other places, I loved Boston at Halloween... but I don't know how long I'd actually last in a real winter. :P
I'm Feral. I plead temporal insanity.

Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Where're you from?

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

HAH - you can have mine if you want. We got something like 15 cm of snow today and it was -15 to -22 today (0 to -10 for you yanks).

Come and get it! I'll take your pretty sunshine :D.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

Where're you from?

Alkuperäinen postittaja fourpawsonthefloor
HAH - you can have mine if you want. We got something like 15 cm of snow today and it was -15 to -22 today (0 to -10 for you yanks).

Come and get it! I'll take your pretty sunshine :D.

Paws
Interesting, its only raining water out there. No snow anywhere to be seen, and the temperature is +5 to +10. Though its soon december.
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Where're you from?

Post by kamizzi »

I live in Poland. In Zielonka (~15 kilometers from Warsaw). And there's no snow!!! Why the heck? in the half of winter??
:?