Wow... tomb of Odysseus found

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Bamfette »

whoa, never thought they'd find this, seeing as i always thought he was fictional.... then again, i suppose it could be some enormous hoax.

http://maderatribune.1871dev.com/news/n ... p?c=167178
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

wow....crazy

I've learned something about ancient mediterranean civilizations...when you are sure its complete fiction, bam! Proof it's not. I mean, Troy was considered a complete work of fiction til it's discovery as well. I guess it's not such a stretch to believe a man like Odysseus existed, though I'm not sure as to the validity of his chronicles in their entirety....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Hsu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Hsu »

Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
I'm not sure as to the validity of his chronicles in their entirety....
Really? Not sure you believe in the Sirens, Cyclops, Lotus Eaters or Greek gods? ;)
[spoiler]I hate post whores![/spoiler]
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

:LOL I love it! A major find of the century, ranking up there with the discovery of Troy itself, and political and economic squabbles have kept it under wraps! God, this is just too plausible. It *could* be a hoax, I guess, but if so, it's masterfully told. I'll have to look around for some outside verification somewhere. So far, though I've googled up a good 20 sites on this, all of them, even Wikipedia, seem to cite the Maderas Journal as their source, which does raise an eyebrow for me.

Then again, it could just be that this is something that would slip in under the radar of the main news agencies, considering Katrina and Rita's aftermath.

Ever noticed that half of the stuff in the Odessy is stuff that Odysseus would tell to his wife...

:puppy "Oh, honey, it was awful! There was this huge cyclops, and he was eating us one by one! And then these awful sirens tried to sink the boat, and we got eaten by seamonsters, and even Posidon was against us....!"

... aaaannnnnnd the other half is full of stuff for his drinking buddies....

;pant "I'm telling you, Circe was SO hot! And once she found out she couldn't control me, man, she just had to do everything I wanted! 24 hours a day, man! Three kids in three years! And then there was Calypso, and she wanted me to stay...."
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
theatrepirate
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by theatrepirate »

Nice thoughts, Maelstrom!

I used to teach high school literature, which included this lovely piece of work, and I used to wonder the same thing about his "adventures." An interesting choice of a hero...

...and we had the idea, that if we were really good, God would permit us to be pirates." - Mark Twain
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by Hsu
Originally posted by NachtcGleiskette
I'm not sure as to the validity of his chronicles in their entirety....
Really? Not sure you believe in the Sirens, Cyclops, Lotus Eaters or Greek gods? ;)
yeah.....they seem to be a stretch....

:P
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€