the dream thread

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

the dream thread

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Alkuperäinen postittaja Elwing
-Kiera Knightley is plenty cute! :nodyes
Yes, yes she is. :D

:LOL
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
It was so annoying that I woke myself up, just because who needs that kind of stress in a dream.
LOL! A very practical approach. I mean really, who does?

I had a really funny dream last night. I was supposed to serve mass with Father Tom (I guess I was dreaming about today). Father Tom is really random though and occasionally his masses can resemble the James Brown church scene in the Blues Brothers.

Anyway, this mass was like a Christian rock concert and Father Tom was singing all these bad folk rock songs about Jesus. He was making all these cheesy hand gestures while singing too - like tracing out a big heart in air whenever he sang the word "love" and trying to get the audience to follow along. There was one that was supposed to represent being hugged by Jesus, but it looked like he was doing the macarena. It was like the stupidest thing. Ever. The audience thought it was great though.

In between the songs Father Tom would talk and at one point, while he was telling a story, the guy next to me yelled "Hey, I felt like that just the other day!"

I thought it was kind of rude to be interrupting Father Tom, but Father Tom thought it was great and jumped off the stage with his microphone so the guy could talk about it. Somehow this lead to the people behind me asking what I do for a living. I started to say "I'm in vet school", but they kept interrupting me. One of them said "She's a doctor!" Then another said, "More than that she's a veterinarian!"

I kept trying to explain I was still in school, but they kept interrupting along the same lines until I gave up wishing I had some kind of hand signal to use that would show them I was still in school.

Right at that moment, I spotted Dr. Miller, a vet I had worked with a few rows away. She was performing a spay on a small dog. I pointed at her and said "That's a vet, I'm a student, see the difference?" But they weren't paying attention anymore. I went over to Dr. Miller and asked if she needed anything. She said no, but a second later she asked me if I could "do her a favor and keep any and all dogs out of her way."

This was confusing to me until I looked around and realized that the auditorium had dogs running around everywhere. I woke up while I was struggling to keep a large great dane from getting too close.

I really hope mass isn't like this today...

-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm double posting, but there was over a year between them and I just spent like 45 minutes searching for this thread.

I think it's the stress of starting clinical rotations (you know how your brain goes into overdrive when you start something new?) but I am having the funniest and most vivid dreams lately.

On the first day of rotations I woke myself up in the middle of the night by saying aloud: "Sorry, but I can't find the resorptive lesion". I must have been dreaming about cats with bad teeth. The weird thing is that I'd seen dogs all day and they didn't have any resorptive lesions. Maybe that's why I couldn't find them. I don't know.

Then, I was on-call last night and it's impossible to sleep soundly when you're worried that the phone is going to ring any minute and you're going to have to get up, dressed, and run into the ER.

I had a dream that I woke up, checked my phone and I'd been texted with the basic signalment of the case that had been brought into the ER. It said "7 yo MC dog bleeding after dental procedure this morning" and I realized that not only had I missed going into the ER, but I'd done the dental procedure so it really would have been good of me to show up. I panicked and woke up for real. I checked my phone. The ER had not called.

When I feel back to sleep I had a dream that I was back in Seattle, living above a garage, and there was a series of demonic possessions and strange occurrences surrounding a group that had turned to occult practices. It was pretty interesting. There was a brother and sister whose spirits co-mingled with that of a classic car in the garage. It was a late model 1960's Dodge flames painted on it and later I bought a ballet skirt made of silver lamé which people unanimously agreed was "awesome".

When it was all over, I realized that the plot line of the dream had been pretty lame. I got all the people involved together and explained that they were all going to have to do it again. I changed some things around, involved 2 cars so it wasn't as confusing, added a few characters, and generally changed things around so everything came full circle with a definitive end point. Everybody complained bitterly as I tried to convince them that "plot and characterization" was really important to me. Finally they agreed to do it again anyway.

So I dreamed the whole thing again with the new changes. It was a much tighter dream and more suspenseful. I was pretty happy with it even though I had to cut the part with my awesome new skirt. Unfortunately I made a bad decision at the end to show how it had all happened by reading through certain parts of the occult group's literature. I thought it would really drive home the point, but in the end it was really boring and didn't make any sense. It was written mostly in that fake "Lorem Ipsum" latin that is used for graphic design place holding. Afterwards people told me that it really would have been a better dream if I hadn't "read all that religious stuff" at the end.

I agreed, but I didn't have the heart to make them do it again.

I have no idea why veterinary dentistry is making me dream these things, but I haven't had so many dreams in a row in a while. (And as is made obvious by this thread, I have really long and complex dreams. I always have. Croc dreams in sound bites and I have feature film sagas. Who knows...)

Anyone else dreaming lately or is it just me?
-e
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

the dream thread

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I had vivid dreams that I remembered last night (rough night - I would sleep for about 45 min and then be up for at least 1/2 hour) The one I remember best was dreaming that I was outside with this waterhose/sprinker. I'd turned it off and it would start up again 'whoooooosh'. Turn the handle off tighter. It'd do it again. I crossed my arms and frowned at the sprinkler - and every few moments it'd start up again and then die down for no reason.

I woke up to realise the wooshing of the sprinkler was my husbands odd snoring.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

That's so funny when real life invades. I remember back when I was in grad school doing a lot of programming having a dream about writing code and if I screwed up this buzzer would go off. It was going off constantly and I was frantically typing.

It turns out I was sitting up in bed resetting my alarm clock over and over again.

I still laugh when I think of that dream I had the other night with me lecturing my dream "players" about my need for a tighter plot. It was like I decided to take all my fanfiction and role playing game issues out on my subconscious and my subconscious was pissed!

They were like "Come ON! We don't need to do it again! It was a DREAM!"

It's funny when your dreams talk back. And, it's good to know that I have such ludicrously high standards for what makes a good story, that I'd rather dream something twice with solid editing than wake up knowing I'd had a low quality dream-plot.

-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

I don't know if it's the residual from the anesthesia or just that without work my mind is trying to keep itself occupied, but I have been having the most bizarre dreams lately. (So I had to find this thread again.)

I had a dream that since I was away from work for medical leave, I decided to take on relief work as a large animal vet. (Makes perfect sense right?) It was a huge hospital in the middle of nowhere and after seeing patients for an entire morning I was told "I was one of the best students they'd ever had." I realized I wasn't going to get paid and was pissed. Then while stomping across the yard to go complain, I got sprayed down by horse semen. Nobody had any sympathy saying stuff like "well, what did you expect?" Then I went on a tour and they showed me the "cat litter room" which was basically a giant litter robot. (The entire room spun to sift the turds out and there were cats digging and pooping everywhere.) The dream ended with the staff getting all dressed in carnival circus clothes in order to attend a premiere party for a new Twilight movie.

Next night - I was at Applebee's with some friends and they had specials for veterinarians and people in the military. Everyone was excited to see what free stuff I could get for us. I read through the offerings and those that I qualified for as a vet were lame (I could have a free pickle spear) and most of the military ones didn't apply (they were very complex with things like rank, recent commendations, and other line items - just like the army). One that looked promising was "If you are a First Lieutenant and you just had your dick sucked, everyone at your table gets free potato skins". Everyone wanted potato skins and we were all very disappointed to learn that Applebee's was determined to stick to the letter of their law. In other words: no dick, no potato skins. I tried in vain to convince my waiter that I had recently had an "equivalent experience as accorded by my gender", but he refused.

Those are just two of many. I keep waking up laughing.

I love this thread, but it's mostly my super weird dreams. Anyone else's sub-conscious doing anything interesting lately?

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

I dreamed I went to Nijmegen by car. Nijmegen is the city I was born in, but I have not been there in years, and I don't know anybody there.
I parked the car,and walked around restlessly for hours, to the end of the town, which in my dream was huge. And then I realized I had no idea where I left the car. I looked on the map, but it seemed to be morphing and changing, and I had to watch out for people riding around on small trains.
I walked around for hours and hours and I could not find it, I was panicking and miserable.

And then I realized it wasn't real and I could just wake up. So, I woke up. It was 10 o'clock already.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

Post by Elfdame »

This will not be surprising to ANYONE, but yes indeedy, night before last I dreamed I was fighting crime with Spider-man :spidey(old-skule one). And I wasn't a gorgeous young nyphet, either, but my old greying-headed chubby little Grandma self. We were tracking people down who had supported the Nazis (ok, a word of explanation: Hubby & I have been watching a LOT of "Foyle's War" episodes lately) and most of the details are blurry but we seemed to spent a lot of time creeping around warehouses. It was fun, but tiring. :D
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

the dream thread

Post by neling4 »

Ooo! A dream thread!

Here's my dream:

I dreamed I was going to a powwow. When we drove up to the gate, I said, "I'm a dancer." (Dancers get in free.)

The gatekeeper looked down at my feet and said, "Yeah. Riiiight." in a voice absolutely dripping with skepticism.

I looked down at my feet too and saw that I was wearing my scruffy gym shoes and that I had forgotten my moccs and my dress and everything else.

It was very annoying.

Now I will interpret:

I have a feeling this dream means the same thing that my going to school naked on the first day of school and getting lost in the hallway and not finding any of my classes, or the bathroom, dreams meant.

Or.....maybe it means I'm afraid people at the powwow will think I'm Japanese instead of ndn, hence the skepticism.

[Edited on 22/9/10 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

the dream thread

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Okay, having found this beautiful thread for the first time I'm going to have to tell you about my strangest and favorite dream I've ever had.

I wake up inside a room that looks like it's the inside of an enormous pinkish ear - complete with veins and arteries pulsing through the walls. I also know that I'm not actually me, but some other girl named Lisa. Waking up inside of something that seems alive appears perfectly normal. My old best friend (IRL) KC is waking up with me. I know immediately and intimately that we're roommates and orphans.

It's clearly time to start the day, so we walk into what looks like an elongated ear canal/hall without side halls. We're following a sign that says "TO THE KITCHEN." When we get to the end of the hall, we see that there is another sign, pointing back down the hall that tells us the kitchen is back there. We turn around and walk back down, where we come out at a completely different place with a sign pointing back down the hall. We essentially go back and forth a few times until a hole opens up in the wall and we get to the kitchen.

The kitchen is cared for by a matronly old lady, who is the caretaker of our orphanage. KC and I eat breakfast and then we head out to explore.

We're wandering around this giant, convoluted ear-like passage, when we see a pointing into a tunnel that says "To Africa." We walk through the tunnel and suddenly, we are in the middle of what looks like the Australian Outback, with a huge rock formation that looks like an arch. There is a giant lady spider - twice as big as me - spinning her web between the arch. She is pleasant and friendly and talks to us, but then suddenly there is an earthquake the arch collapses and kills her. I know that it was not supposed to happen - there's something wrong.

We go back to our dormitory, and I decide to read the journal of my father. My father is not my real father, but rather some guy name Stephen who was a cartoonist and also lived at this ear-orphanage when he was young. I'm reading about one of the ideas he had for a short little man as a character.

There are always tons of people walking through the passages and I never notice them, but one time I'm walking down the hall and realize that the man walking past me is actually the guy my father made up in his head. Then I realized very suddenly that this place I live in (the name Gimoro inexplicably jumps into my head) is actually a repository of imagination - that anything anyone has every imagined shows up here. Shortly after realizing this I recognized Captain Hook and a couple of other people.

I also realize that somebody is trying to destroy the Gimoro but the nice matronly lady tells me not to worry, even though I know that something really terrible is going to happen unless I can save it.

And then the memory of the dream gets kind of muddled up and I wake up a little bit later feeling somewhat panicked and thinking, "Wow what a great idea for a story!"
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
CarterM
Lubber
Lubber

the dream thread

Post by CarterM »

I have one problem with my dreams i never remembered them when i wakes up after the sleep.but as you have written in your post all your thoughts and all your experience that you had in your dream i will say that it was not a well seen dream but a well written dream