the dream thread

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

I had a particulary lucid and disturbing dream this morning and it inspired me to post this thread where everyone can post and analyze their dreams!

Anyway, mine went like this-

I was walking in a part of New York I had not been before with my mother, and we were looking for a place to eat lunch. Now my mother has difficulty walking far, and this gave our search a certain urgency. In fact she kept asking "are we there yet?"
We seemed to be in an industrial harbour area out of tourist territory and it was deserted. Fortunately there was a sign pointing to an eatery between two grey warehouses.

The eatery turned out to be a small low whitewashed mud-brick structure like the ones you would expect to see in the Sahara. I was a bit surprised to see it in NYC but decided it had to be some kind of hippie eco chic and went in. It was narrow and deep with seating on one side and a series of small stands selling exotic foods on the other. They had moroccan tajines in earthenware vessels, glorious saffron-golden paella in great big pans, red tandoori chicken with perfumed rice- and all dishes where $10. It was cheerfully busy and there was a sunny terrace outside-I could not be happier- not my mother though! She sat down and started complaining this was way too expensive. I explained this was really not bad for NYC, and by the way, we could easily afford it...- but to no avail!

I told mom to get a drink and went out to find something else. I saw the "golden arches" on a mast somewhere over the horizon but decided that was not acceptable. I took a different direction and ended up in a deserted luna park with super-hero themed rides rotting away. Soon I was totally lost...I sneaked into an office building and asked the front desk lady if maybe they needed somebody with lighting expertise...(huh?) and she pointed me towards the back of the building. I followed her directions, and ended up just leaving the building trough the back door.

I was now standing in a small piece of wasteland, with yellow grass and garbage strewn around. There was a broken tree stump in the middle of it and it was getting dark- a big dark cloud hanging over the horizon. It was odd because it was noon.
As I aproached the tree stump I realized it was not a tree at all- but the figure of a man sitting motionlessly on the ground covered entirely with a black swarm of wriggling bees.

I freaked out and fled back into the office building- which looked different now; it suddenly had huge windows overseeing the wasteland. I asked the front desk lady what was up with all those bees- And she pointed back to where I came from.

I looked back and saw that the dark cloud over the horizon was in fact an endless black swarm of bees draining out the daylight.

The last thing I thought before waking up was "I had better call mum and tell her to move inside and close the door in that little restaurant!"

Now that was very "David Lynch" And I have a great relationship with my mother and am not particulary afraid of bees, by the way...:scratch

[Edited on 23-4-2006 by Elwing]
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

the dream thread

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Have you writed down your dreams before? Because thats pretty well done. I mean remembering that much from your dream.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

Cool idea for a thread Elwing. Have you ever seen those dream analysis books where it breaks dreams down into symbols so that it just becomes a list of things like "if you dream of bees it means you're thinking of..." and "if your parents appear in your dream if means ..."

Every once and a while I will go through a period of incredibly rich and lucid dreams. For a month or so I'll have crazy complex dreams night after night. For a brief time I kept Dream Journal and I wish I'd kept it up because every time I run across it I'm always fascinated by it.

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

You have to write them down right away or you will forget them and be left with an uneasy feeling of wierdness for the rest of the day.
I have my mother and sister appearing in dreams often- In my mother's case, it has to do with feeling worried over her, and in my sister's case a feeling of inferiority may have something to do with it. There are often elements that are related to things like travels or other important things in my life- and I have a lot of flying and falling dreams.
I used to have a recurring dream of flying over a burning city a while ago.

Often there is not much of a line to it, just a series of unrelated but very lucid scenes. But in this case there defenitely was a story, though I may have made it a bit more logical than it was.
But those myriad wriggling bees still have me wierded out. They where scary, and I have no idea where it came from.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

If i want to see a certain kind of a dream i usually watch different kind of pics or movies. It usually works too.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

the dream thread

Post by Garble »

Usually I have dreams in which I can fly but not really well. Sort of a controlled, directional falling with no real ability to stop. Sometimes it takes a lot of work to will myself back down or I'll start falling upward again.

Then there's the reoccurring theme of exploring some impossibly big house. No matter how deep you go into it, there's always a door or passage that leads even further in. There have been some really interesting specialty rooms. One was a spherical music room with platforms and seats for orchestra members all around it and you sit in the middle to listen. Another was a nursery for flying babies that was floorless with pink carpeted walls and many shelves for toys.

But the last few years I've had a lot of dreams that were in horror movie format. These aren't exactly nightmares because nothing is happening to me, I'm just watching a movie. In fact the last one I had was specifically a director's cut with audio commentary. It was about a passenger space shuttle that had come to life and was absorbing its passengers in order to increase it's own consciousness.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

the dream thread

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I had the creepiest dream the other night. I didn't write it down, but I still remember it because the evil feeling stayed with me for more than a day. There was a lot of barely-remembered stuff like some subplot with a detective or something, but the main plot which was so disturbing was really simple.

My phone rings. I flip it open and look at the number. My apartment has a buzzer system where the buzzer is in the phone so in real life when someone buzzes my apartment the number shows up on my phone along with "Door". In the dream, I knew the number on the phone was for the door but instead of saying "Door" it said "Mortal Danger". I panicked. And, for some unknown reason, buzzed the door open. It wasn't an accident. Why'd I do that? Don't know.

The reason it was so scary is because, okay, I'm in danger. But how? What is dangerous? Is it something in the building? Should I leave? Or is leaving the worst idea ever? So then there was a long period of pacing and trying to decide what to do, and waiting for Mortal Danger to knock on the door. Finally I leave. I go outside.

And then the building blows up.

Really.

I was so disturbed by it. Mostly because I can't figure out why I would hit the buzzer. Like, what?
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

the dream thread

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I kind of like the theory of thought that flying dreams are little strolls that your soul takes when you are asleep. I used to have a very vivid one as a child over and over again, where I'd walk out into the back yard, float up, go around the block and come back - it was always very peaceful.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

Every few years or so I have a series of recurring dreams in which I am lost in a local theme park, de Efteling. When I have that, I go visit de Efteling and that will end the dreams for a while. Also, I don't mind going there at all.

I figured out the bees by the way- I remembered saturday I lunched at a mcDonalds, and they had a video in the kid's corner in which Donald Duck tries to steal honey and gets his come uppance....And suddenly it all makes sense. The bees stand for fast food. Suddenly my dream makes sense- My mother warns me of spending too much money on fine dining, and the bees warn me all that fast food is bad for my health. But the sitting figure is me- unable to escape my bad habits.
Wierd huh?
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

allright wtf. I just saw a dream where i was a superman fighting masses of evil dolls.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

the dream thread

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I had a dream a few nights ago about my grandfather. He died in 1985, which made it quite disconcerting. I dunno, there was something about it that made it VERY real for me. And it weirded me out a bit. I don't recall much of it. Just that I was talking to him, and when I gave him a kiss on the cheek he was cold. I was aware in the dream that he is dead.....

I dunno. It really creeped me...
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

yeah - but maybe that was his way of visiting you and saying howdy. Proof of life after death and all that...

Then again you could just be twisted. :P

Most of my dreams have me struggling to do stuff that I can never seem to complete - its annoying.

Paws
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

Hmmm.. I dont think its normal to see a dream where i play billiard with Colin Farrel and having him try to make things straight with me and my ex girlfriend :D
CrazyEyes08
Lubber
Lubber

the dream thread

Post by CrazyEyes08 »

I had a dream that David Bowie was an Avenger. Now that is odd...
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

Here's my dream from this morning. (I woke up, fell asleep again, and had this dream)

I was visiting my old grad school roommate Jacki at her parents' house. We were supposed to all go out to eat, but instead they had locked me in an empty room like a prisoner. I was kind of put out by this, but when I complained their only responses were things like "be happy we've at least done this for you".

So I waited patiently and finally after 8 hours (I just somehow knew it had been 8 hours) they let me out so I could hang out at their pool party.

The party was huge and I knew like no one, so I just kept to myself until someone called me over. They had found a stray cat, but it was sick. Jacki (who really works as a user interface designer in California) was there and she was looking at the cat's ears with an otoscope.

She said, "I just got my vet tech's license. I did an 'otic canal patency test' and the cat's ears are fine." There's no such thing as an "otic canal patency test" so I asked to see the otoscope which had this weird spear inside it that when you pressed a button, was fired into the ear canal. I'd never seen anything like it. I put it in regular "otoscope mode" and looked in the cat's ears and they were full of ear mites.

Then I noticed the cat was completely crawling with fleas too. It was a very long haired cat like a persian so I guess I hadn't noticed at first, but it had so many fleas that they were like pouring off of it. Everybody seemed to think I caused this and were like "Do something quick!"

I suggested the cat be taken to a vet since it was also unconscious, plus I didn't want to look like I wasn't dedicated to the idea of going out to dinner since I'd been complaining about how hungry I was before. But everyone seemed to think I was some kind of veterinary McGyver who could instantly save animals with things found around the house and I kind of did want to help the cat. After a few minutes of them wheedling with me I sprang to action and told them to "Get me anything with Pyrethrins!"

They returned with a can of Raid and I somehow turned it into a bucket of flea dip. We dipped the cat and killed all the fleas but now we had to dispose of the raid/flea dip. Some guys took it away and dumped it out on the front lawn.

I few minutes later I was standing by the cat again and a locksmith pulled up. At first I took this as the people at the pool party's having doubts about my cat saving skills and was like "Hey, who called these guys!?"

Then the locksmith told me that Jacki's parents were locked out of their tennis court and their shopping mall. This all seemed perfectly resonable and I told the locksmiths they should carry on, especially since at that moment I realized that the reason I had been locked in the room in the first place was that Jacki's parents didn't want me to know they had been locked out of their own shopping mall where the food court was.

Unfortunately immediately after the locksmiths got the doors to the mall and the tennis court opened, Jacki's parents ran up and asked "Who brocaded our front lawn?"

Everyone shrugged and looked clueless. I was pretty confused to since brocade is a type of fabric. Then I realized with horror that what must have happened is that the guys pouring out the flea dip had done it in a floral pattern and it had killed the grass and that indirectly, I was the one who was responsible for brocading their lawn. I wondered if I would still be able to have dinner if I told them.

The cat was fine.

Yeah... Try to make sense out of that one.

-e
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

Pretty long dream. I usually have dreams which feel like few minutes.

like "wow" "whats that?" "really?" "Oh im awake".
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

the dream thread

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I dreamed the other night that one of my coworkers died. I was the last one to find out so everyone else was under control when I was crying uncontrollably.

My analysis: I've been working too much. Killing too many super-realistic people in Oblivion. And feeling left out of something.
Originally posted by Saint Kurt

Yeah... Try to make sense out of that one.

-e
Sounds like you've been really stressed.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Confizzle
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

the dream thread

Post by Confizzle »

Most dreams I've been having lately have been too real for comfort :), I will have dreamt that I was doing a chore or something, and when I wake up a do said chore later in the day I'm wondering "Didn't I already do this?"
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

Damn, im feeling angry.

I wrote this yeasterday morning after i had taken a morning nap and i saw these dreams.

1st Dream

My cousin and her husband were sitting on our kitchen where i sitted too. Suddenly we were driving at the city center when i started writing an sms, and when i looked up, i was suddenly standing on the road and my cousin and her husband were driving away laughing. I walked next to this "highschool" and i talked with a complete stranger. When suddenly my brother and his friend came and we went inside from a side door of the "highschool" building. Inside my brother and his friend suddenly ran in to the end of an hallway (estimated range 200m)
and went on different directions my brother went left.
So i ran after him and entered probably an wrong door. It looked like a control room. It had a computer and windows to each direction. Well i saw some "staff members" looked more like factory workers walking towards the door. And i crouched in to the corner of the room and i had this thought in my head: "im fucked, im fucked, im fucked". Then i think i woke up.

2nd dream.

Well i was going to this hangout place with my brother, my friend, some chick and Keira Knightley (WTF? :smirk) So anyways we didnt go to the place instead we wandered in this apartment building complex. And i was going to get a kiss from Knightley when my clock alarm went on. Do you have anykind of idea how annyoed i felt when i woke up :P
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

Interesting dream Croc... A bit of guessing...
-maybe you feel ignored by your cousin and husband, and your brother? Maybe you are worried about getting into troubble? Maybe you are worried about him getting into trouble?
-Kiera Knightley is plenty cute! :nodyes

okay, just woke up- bit of a stream of conciousness thing here...

...I'm in a big northern european city (Warszaw?) and park my car outside town on a big parking lot near a canal to avoid paying parking fees. In town I'm in a nice hotel for the sort of family meeting like the one I had in Rome. Only I don't know any of the people...It's about some lady and she has brought her ex from Ukraine who I think is rather cute.
But I stand no chance because he is watched over by his sister- they are planning to see more of Europe next and I give them travelling tips. They want to go to Brussels (which is a lousy idea in my opinion) and I plan to travel to Germany next.

When the stay ends I get some money from an ATM which rips me off by adding massive fees to the transaction. And then- I can't find my car.

It turns out there are lots of canals, and lots of parking lots, and I keep on walking, along endless endless rows of cars trying desperately to find my little silver smart. I even get into a really wierd fair ride that looks like a space ship to try and get a better view.

And then the alarm clock goes off;)
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

Post by Saint Kurt »

I used to have a dream like that Confused. When I was in highschool I would dream that I would get up, get ready for school, eat breakfast, leave, and then I would wake up and still be in bed. So I would get up, get ready, and then wake up and still be in bed. So I would get up again, start getting ready... again, only to wake up again.

It used to drive me crazy. :LOL

I've beem having really strange dreams lately. I wonder if it's because of this thread...

(Another one of those morning things - they're the only ones I remember.)

I was walking around town running errands for a trip I was going to take when someone told me that even though I hadn't been enrolled in classes this semester, I was still supposed to take the finals and handed me a schedule. They were at really strange times, including one that was like 5 minutes from then.

I ran and took the final which was all stuff from previous classes so I did okay. I handed it in and chatted with the professor about that and then left the vet school to go home. On the way home people started pointing at the sky. The clouds were rolling and boiling all crazily. Finally there was this locus of boiling clouds that resolved into a giant eye and then the rest of the clouds calmed down.

The eye was huge and where the sun would be. It was an animal eye with a third eyelid but it had a round pupil and was shades of brown and gold. It occasionally blinked. It looked perfectly normal set into the clouds (I mean except that it was an eye). Everybody was talking about what it could mean, but I knew all their theories were wrong. Because of the eye I realized I had missed my 5pm "History of Veterinary Medicine" final and I wondered if the F you get when you fail the final is different than the one you get if you don't show up. I was kind of dreading all the running around and red tape I was going to have to deal with to make up a final I was going to fail anyway.

Suddenly it was nighttime. (Maybe because there was an eye instead of a sun?) The eye was still there in the sky but now it looked smaller because it replaced the moon. I walked home, but I didn't live in my shack, I lived in the dorm I'd lived in during my freshman year in college. I had to cut through a Thai restaurant to get there and all the waiters namaste'd me as I passed them. Somehow I knew they were all law students.

Once in my dorm room I realized that there would not be time to take all my unexpected finals including the missed one before my trip. I decided I would have to put my plan to commit suicide into action after all. It was a completely unemotional decision (and I think it had something to do with the big eye, but I'm not sure what). As I prepared I couldn't decide whether I should lock my door or not since there were reasons for each. I woke up still pondering about the door.

Weird dream.... The eye was kind of cool though.

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

the dream thread

Post by Elwing »

Oh- Sauron's eye is watching you! and also, the "groundhog day" dream. Well it seems obvious that the idea of returning to school is causing a bit of stress...But that eye is odd. Maybe you are feel the pressure of getting watched, the expectations of others?

Eat your heart out Freud...
Chlorine
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

the dream thread

Post by Chlorine »

I have oodles of weird dreams...My favorite one to tell is crazy long, though, so I'll post it some other time...The one I'll post now is one I had last night.

I'm only going to tell the middle. The rest is pretty odd, but it's rather long and boring. So, some stuff happens and I end up in an office. The walls are a yellowy-orangey-beige type colour, and there are potted plants around, and the room is rather stuffy. I get the feeling this room is underground. There are some people standing in line, and a boy I know from school is there, but not in line. He tells me to come with him, he's gonna explore. So I go a little ways and watch him disappear into a room, and I'm about to follow when I hear my mother call my name.

She's standing in line. Though the line is about ten feet away from me, my mother somehow tugs me into it through some energy force. I stand with her and the rest of the people, everyone looks rather solemn. I ask her why we are in line, and she looks at me and says in a calm and zombie-like tone, "We're gonna get a kiss that counts."

The way she says it worries me a little, but I don't leave her. She starts speaking again, saying nonsense things like "It's a perfect snail; Together again is the heart string." And her tone of voice is calm, but I see that she is vaguely panicked and perhaps has lost her ability to connect thoughts with words, or even to connect thoughts with thoughts.

The line starts moving and we go up, and I see that the people lined up are being administered pills. My mom holds my shoulders and we are both given pills. I don't remember if we take them or not.

Then I "wake up," but it's still in-dream. I'm in the same office, but it is now empty of people besides me. I think to myself about what an odd dream that was. Then a pretty girl (maybe from my school) comes out of the room the boy went into earlier. She sets an empty pill bottle on the floor outside the door, and goes back in. Two more girls come out, place bottles and the floor, and go back in. I watch this process for a while, until the area in front of their door is full of all sorts of empty pill bottles.

Then I hear a newscast in my head. A female reporter is lamenting about a large number of illegal abortions that happened just recently. As she speaks, the girls who were setting out the bottles walk out and stand quietly among them. More girls appear near the bottles, some from down the hallway and some enter from the front door of the office. I try to understand, but it's hard. Either these girls had the abortions, or all the people in line had aborted their children, who were already born. I tried to figure out if my mother had aborted me. This part of my dream didn't really scare or upset me, I was just confused and in mild disbelief.

The dream goes on, and it involves a crazy man in a truck who begins to hunt me and the silent girls, accusing us of doing something wrong...But I think the most important part of the dream was the middle.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator

the dream thread

hmmm... Interesting experience.
I tried this one thing. I took a picture, and i took a look at it few times yeasterday. . And i remember how i just saw some dreams with this picture related to them. I think that is pretty awesome. :P
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

the dream thread

I finally had a dream that I remembered, but there is no deep meaning to it other than my annoyance at forgetting everything lately.

I was waiting to pick up my passport, for an upcoming trip. They finally called and told me I could come get it at 11 on that day (It was June 5th - don't ask me why) so I was all happy until I realized - it wasn't July 5th I was going on my trip - it was June 5th! Today! And I was supposed to be at the airport at 11 - which was in 1/2 hour!

So then it was a matter of rushing around, throwing stuff in a suitcase, driving everywhere like a woman possessed, and running through the airport with a bag that kept tipping over (because that happened to me before). It was so annoying that I woke myself up, just because who needs that kind of stress in a dream.

Paws