a mother's day gift idea

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

a mother's day gift idea

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

April 14, 2006 -- LIVE ROACH IS 'ICK'-CESSORY
Beauty, meet the beast.
This season's creepiest fashion accessory is a live, bejeweled cockroach worn as jewelry - and what better place for roach couture than New York?

"This really reinforces my theory that society is imploding," cracked Pete Donelan of Princeton, whose meal at a tony wine bar was interrupted by the sight of our live cockroach - Kafka - scurrying up its wearer's arm.

The giant Madagascar hissing cockroach, which is about three inches long and actually does hiss, is partially covered in brightly colored Swarovski crystals, which are glued to its hard outer shell.

It also sports a small clasp that attaches to a silver chain, the other end of which is a cameo pin - reminiscent of the bizarre Victorian-era trend of wearing live insects as jewelry.

Like an especially teeny Paris Hilton pet, the crawly critter is then free to roam around its owner's shoulder.

The bug brooch is the brainchild of Salt Lake City-based fashion designer Jared Gold.
Now Gold's roach brooch is available for purchase online at blackchandelier.com for $80, as well as in his Salt Lake City store. But when we sent away for a test roach, the trend lost some of its glitter.

First, we were shocked to receive our roach in a regular cardboard overnight-mail box.

Then, we had some trouble attaching the clasp to struggling Kafka's back; and, frankly, began to feel downright sorry for the little guy, who seemed much less sleazy than his New York counterparts. But in a walking tour of Midtown, Franz was undeniably a head-turner.

"I never saw one gussied up like that before!" said Lisa Patrizio of Brooklyn, enjoying the sun at Rockefeller Center.

"I don't think I could do it," Barbara Makowicz of Long Island, sitting nearby, said with a shudder. "Gross!"

Unsurprisingly, the roach brooch has not gone over well with animal-rights advocates.

"For a person who doesn't mind a small animal excreting on them throughout the day and doesn't have an ounce of compassion for these small, defenseless animals, this could be just the gift," PETA spokesman Michael McGraw said sarcastically.
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/62378.htm
:yech:yech:yech
:lol

[Edited on 3/5/06 by Dark Rose Siren]
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

a mother's day gift idea

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I don't understand who would wear that? I think I'd vomit on anyone I saw wearing that.. either that or buy a big can of Raid :shifty:LOL
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

a mother's day gift idea

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Its that thing off of America's next top model!! God damned people with their frickin trends...like why? Why is it important to up the anty with poor critters (even gross ones).

I hate how fashion often doesn't give a (*%& about the things (people or animals) that suffer to make this stuff.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

a mother's day gift idea

Post by Angelique »

Me, maybe I'm just weird, but I think those buggies are just too cute as they are to have all that stuff glued to them and then be chained up to someone who regards them as more fashion accessory than sentient life form.

The practice of using any living animal as a fashion accessory (and even some dead ones) repels me.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

a mother's day gift idea

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Ewwwwwww. Its legs are all hairy!

I don't know if a bug can suffer. Not even if it's a really big one.

I saw a girl who had a huge green dead beetle as a necklace. Well, dead or fake. I could not tell. I made a "eeeuargh!" noise and she thought this was in approval. No point to this story actually.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

a mother's day gift idea

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
I don't understand who would wear that? I think I'd vomit on anyone I saw wearing that.. either that or buy a big can of Raid :shifty:LOL
Aww, c'mon...it's not the bug's fault...and these guys aren't like the ones scuttling around the kitchen...they're way cleaner...and bigger...you should see the native cockroaches we have here...huge bloody things...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Dark Rose Siren
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

a mother's day gift idea

Post by Dark Rose Siren »

Originally posted by Nandireya
Originally posted by Blue_Demon94
Aww, c'mon...it's not the bug's fault...and these guys aren't like the ones scuttling around the kitchen...they're way cleaner...and bigger...you should see the native cockroaches we have here...huge bloody things...
you're from "down under" right,
is it true that some people there EAT roaches,
because i remember being in school (i believe it was
about 7th grade)& we had a sub who was from Australia
& he said they ate them
When barbarians are at the gate, Oh just Let'im in, they're barbarians, they're coming in anyway.