Things that make you go DOH!

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

You know you've all done it - had that moment where you've gone...I shouldn't do this, but done it anyway. Its how I ended up with a few of my scars...but the latest victim was my mircowave.

I had boiled some eggs to make egg salad - but found that I was overeager when I cracked it open to find it still slightly runny. I thought that perhaps an egg with the shell on wasn't a good thing to put in the microwave - but hell - the shell was cracked right? And for safe measure I put one of those plate covers over the two eggs. It didn't help. After about 30 seconds there was a loud BOOM and egg was everywhere. Egg is not fun to scrape off of a microwave.

So what :doh! moments have you had? Share so I don't feel like I am the only idiot out here.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Hmm. Embarassing stories...
I went to work once on a sunny juli day. I took the bus at the central station at 5 minutes to the hour, vaguely noticed it was a kinda quiet- got off at my work place only to find it was closed.

Took me a while to figure out it was 5 in the morning. I was 4 hours early- I had woken up early for some reason and looked at the clock several times but only at the big hand- total blind spot for the small hand!

Now that was a surreal experience.

You egg reminds me of something my mother once did. She was cooking an egg the old-fashioned way and then her phone rang. It was a long call, all water in the pan evaporated, and the egg burned and literally exploded. We had to scrape it of the kitchen cieling and that horrible burned rotten egg stench stayed for days.
I'll tell mom to use the microwave next time.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

I once spent fifteen minutes trying to take my contact out - only to realize I had *already* taken it out.

And...it's not like I don't need them...I cant even read my laptop screen without them.
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Ha. I did worse! Without thinking, I went to heat up my thermos of tea one morning which I had forgotten about. I think this needs a bit more explanation: That thermos, and only that thermos, is made exclusively out of metal with a rubber base.

So. Sparks, flames at one point, and a real toxic cloud of rubber when I opened that puppy. I had to evacuate the apartment for a good 12 hours with all the windows open. I was concerned about the cat too, but he didn't seem to mind.

Yeah, but that was dumb. Thermos ruined and I'm lucky I didn't light anything on fire. That was one BAD smell...
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

*laughs* I got one worse Northstar! I left a pan in the 450 degree oven with a wooden handle! No fire but *lotsa* smoke.
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Well...and me with my microwave escapades put some chicken noodle soup (the kind with real big veggie chunks ect) in for too long and discovered that the chicken chunks explode when overheated.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

So do smashed potatoes!
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Re: microwaved eggs - I was considering doing that once, but consulted *dun du du duuuun!* the internet! Moral of the story: no egg explosion.

Though I did do a couple dumb things in the kitchen. Years ago, I was cutting a bagel for breakfast, but the thing was frozen, so the cutting wasn't going easy. The knife slipped and I felt a little scrape on my index finger and looked down ... blood EVERYWHERE. It was a tiny little cut, but it went deep - not quite deep enough for stitches, but still deep enough to scar.
Fun fact: That's my only scar.

Incident in the kitchen number two - I was making some hamburgers on the stove (with a pan!) because I don't have a grill. The meat was pretty greasy, so I had to empty the pan between each burger. On the last one (mine), I slipped a tiny bit and a tiny bit hit my hand that was holding the container I was pouring the fat into, which caused me to drop the container which, once it hit the sink, splashed all over my left side and the wall behind me. Fortunately I was wearing a shirt. Unfortunately it was short-sleeved, so my left arm was covered with first degree burns (no blisters, woo!). That was about three weeks ago and there's still a faint trace of some of them.

Overall lesson learned: Don't let me near the kitchen unless it's for cereal or perhaps cooking rice.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.