You know you are a comic dork when…

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

I had a little old man call the office today to ask if we still had copies of a book the newspaper had published several years ago. It went something like this:

“Yes, we still have those, they cost X apiece.”

“Do you still have the three volumes?”

“Well, there was just one volume. We have quite a few copies left.”

“No, I got three different ones, I just want some more copies if you have them.”

“Oh, no, see, there was just one volume, but they had variant covers.”

“What?”

“Huh? Oh, sorry, I mean it’s the same book but some have different pictures on the cover.”

Jeeeez, the thing is I didn’t even realized I’d channeled the inner dork on him until after I hung up and wondered why he didn’t know what a variant cover was.
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Is that just a comic book thing? Because I'm particular about the covers of the books that I buy. I'd never buy the movie versions of books I like and when I bought the Narnia Chronicles for my cousin last christmas I had to look all over for the varient cover I liked (not that they'd necc. care, but I did)

I know I'm a comix dork because I read a brand-name like Wolverine or walk my dog down the sidewalks with manhole covers labeled Storm and I immediately think x-men characters. There's a Polaris marina in my area too - so yeah - first thing that occurs to me when I read that. I guess that's pretty bad.
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I think what I do more is channel my inner seamstress/costume geek on people.

I can't think of a specific example right now, but I know I regularly say things like, "He's a stylish dresser, see how his lapels are double faced and lap stitched..." and have people look at me like I'm from Mars. But clothing details are important. Even in comic books with variant covers. :nodyes

The weirder one is that all my old snowboarder speak seems to slip out the most when I'm appraising rosaries so that I regularly have to restrain myself from saying things like "dude. This is a bitchin' rosary; the way the maker's tag is still attached and has 5 full decades. It fucking rocks!"

-e
Nightwind
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by Nightwind »

I know my friend and I are major comic dorks because we go berzerk when a comic gets a slight fold/crumple/tear etc. due to the carelessness of a hyper-active cat.
Also because we call my father Lex just cause he's bald... :oops:
wsg
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wsg »

Ditto here! Can't stand folds, crumples, tears ect! :angry
"It's one o'clock bub! Time ta get yer face ripped off!"--Logan
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I, ahem, umm, I have actually read up on all marvel characters on wikipedia, through the weekend. My eyes hurt now, but I feel this inner glow. Is that good, or is it just the radiation poisoning from my screen?
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

You know you're a comic dork when ...

While watching Superman Returns, you're thinking your Mutants & Masterminds character could beat him up, easy.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

YKYACDW...

You're the only white girl perusing the manga stacks...and ask in (faulty) Japanese if they have the title you're looking for.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
wsg
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by wsg »

Does anyone here know what dork means?
(I do):doh!
"It's one o'clock bub! Time ta get yer face ripped off!"--Logan
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Originally posted by wsg
Does anyone here know what dork means?
(I do):doh!
You mean its reference to a certain body part?

Original meanings for many words have gone out the window...like the term used for a homosexual that used to refer to a bundle of sticks use for starting a fire...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Saint Kurt
The weirder one is that all my old snowboarder speak seems to slip out the most when I'm appraising rosaries so that I regularly have to restrain myself from saying things like "dude. This is a bitchin' rosary; the way the maker's tag is still attached and has 5 full decades. It fucking rocks!"
I find it hilarious that you stuck a semi-colon in the middle of all your wicked slang.

And dork also means WHALE PENIS. Yaaaaaay!

I know I'm a comic dork when I come here and argue with great conviction and sincerity about the viability of pairing up fictional characters.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Seconded on the semi-colon.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
BAMFCentral
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by BAMFCentral »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

Huh? I actually looked that up but couldn't find. Were'd you find it???

YOu made me curious because I read the Christopher Moore book "Fluke, or I know why the winged whale sings" And it sounded like something Moore would have used in the book (though he didn't)
Blue_Demon94
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Blue_Demon94 »

I think I've slipped the term 'arc' into conversations referring to a story.. I think I was talking about Spider-Man though, so it's okay:LOL

I have to agree with many of the the people above me with a few things.. one being that any slight wrinkle on my comics makes me really upset (I read them with such care, but every once in a while they'll be that faulty bag or I'll fall asleep midway through them and will end up wrinkling a page:().. I also call any completely bald person Lex, but luckilly everybody understands that reference, so I'm not completely alone..

My true geek came out the other day when I corrected my friend on the correct spelling of Storm's first name. She thought it was Aurora, but I had to not only break it down for her (O-R-O-R-O), but I had to add that it meant Beauty in African:shifty
LadyErin
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by LadyErin »

Originally posted by Blue_Demon94

but I had to add that it meant Beauty in African:shifty
No such language.

YKYAACDW:

I explained to someone that Bruce on Finding Nemo shared the same name as the robot in Jaws.

While at work, myself and two other co-workes had a serious debate on reenacting, historical movies, and the lee-way you should or shouldn't give.

editd to fix faulty HTML

[Edited on 9-7-06 by LadyErin]
http://lady_erin.livejournal.com
:magneto
What do you mean, you "don't believe in homosexuality?" It's not like the Easter Bunny, your belief isn't necessary. ~~Lea DeLaria
Want to IM me? U2U me for the screenname.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by BAMFCentral
Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic

Huh? I actually looked that up but couldn't find. Were'd you find it???
I got that from a Gary Larson book. He was explaining that his editor wouldn't allow him to publish a comic with dork in it because it meant "whale penis". He went on to say he looked dork up in a slang dictionary and sure enough, it said "whale penis". I just looked it up and found various websites claiming that it doesn't mean whale penis at all. So who knows.

Edit: This is the book. The Prehistory of the Far Side.

[Edited on 11-7-2006 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir