Guillermo Del Toro To Direct Hobbit

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I just spotted this in my Entertainment Magazine and then on IMDB:

Hellboy/Pan's Labyrinth ( :hellboy )director Guillermo Del Toro is set to direct the now "TWO-PART" major motion picture The Hobbit, and has set a release date for christmas 2010 followed by summer 2011.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that Guillermo not only stays on, but can wrap it up into one movie. It's always easier that way.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Since the only "big" movies Guillermo has directed are:
Blade 2
Hellboy
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 2

I don't know what to say, I don't think it's such a good idea.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Hellboy and Pan's labyrinth were phenomenal. And Jackson had only directed australian zombie movies before he even got near Lord Of the Rings, so what essentially qualified him?

I have full faith in Guillermo he's the master of fantasy/goth for our generation,
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

he's the master of fantasy/goth for our generation,

But the Hobbit ISN'T goth. At all. It's definitely fantasy, but the same guy who's inclined to do Hellboy-ish or anything remotely close to Pan's Labyrinth ought not do the Hobbit. I say it ought to be Jackson, as he proved himself with the ring trilogy.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

He's exhausted he's only producing. And Hobbit isn't goth I agree, but there's certain aspects about it where I'd like to see someone of Del Toro's competence handling it over someone like...I dunno...BURTON?!
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

fuck no. Burton would make it macabre and weird. :fillerbunny And it's not that either. how about we just leave it a book and be good with it? :D
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

They did the other three, it's unavoidable. If they're gonna do it, let's leave it in the hands of people who respect the story at the very least. I trust Del Toro and until I get something that says "Bilbo Baggins being played by justin Timberlake" or "whole film is updated to take place in harlem" I'm pretty sure there's no reason to fret.

If jackson's at the helm in the production room I don't think he'll let that crap fly.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Since the only "big" movies Guillermo has directed are:
Blade 2
Hellboy
Pan's Labyrinth
Hellboy 2

I don't know what to say, I don't think it's such a good idea.
Are you serious?

Pan's Labyrinth was a blockbuster!
Hellboys was pretty good, not the best, but good.
Hellboy 2 hasn't come out.
And the Blade series in general was *blows raspberry*
I think its a good idea, besides, the Hobbit was a cartoon as well. If another director decides Guillermo's job wasn't good enough, some one will redo it in time. Besides, there is nothing better than the book itself.

Guillermo is a great director, and any movie can fly or bomb. Give him crtedit when it is due, not before.

I would think Jackson would be the best candidate, but so far I'm not so sure his recent movies have quite lived up to LOTR, then again LOTR was his dream. Hobbit might be uyp there, but Jackson put his life into LOTR.

[Edited on 2/10/2008 by CurlyyHairGirl]
one name: Bruce Campbell
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

ummm....no. let's leave the hobbits to Jackson...he looks like one. Or a dwarf..not sure.
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Get back to me on what you think is the best director for this movie when you guys have actually WATCHED Pan's Labyrinth.

Honestly? Beautiful fantasy epic. Gothic? Sure. You could call it that. I call it beautifully dark.
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Originally posted by Ult_Sm86
Get back to me on what you think is the best director for this movie when you guys have actually WATCHED Pan's Labyrinth.
I call it a R rating horror/fantasy movie with brutal violence and a good flick, but the exact opposite of Lotr and the Hobbit.
GreenLanternGrl
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by GreenLanternGrl »

WHOOOO! i cant wait to see the hobbit movie :D...*marks her calender* thanks for telling me about it ben! by the way i am psyched that they chose Guillermo Del Toro for this...he'll do a great job :)
* GreenLanternGrl gets defensive of star
no one touches star
-.-
Awwww
* sage huggles star
* Josh touches star...
* Starfish is huggled and touched
* rachel glomps Star
o.o
and glomped
stop all that touching!
xD
Hee
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Originally posted by Crocodile Hunter
Originally posted by Ult_Sm86
I call it a R rating horror/fantasy movie with brutal violence and a good flick, but the exact opposite of Lotr and the Hobbit.
I agree, Croc. I am really anxious to see how he handles my second favorite book of all time. (The first being The Secret Garden)
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro