Well. Now it's happened at my school.

If it's not comics, tv, or movies, this is the place! Talk about anything and everything else right here!
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

6 shot dead, including gunman, at Northern Illinois University

The shooter was a graduate student here at UIUC (my university) in the college of social work.

It's been a really sad day here as we ponder the implications of one of our own being in so much pain as to commit such a terrible act.

The university has put up a site where people can post thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the students of NIU here. It's very touching to read.

-e
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

I just saw an e-article on that. Wow. *hugs* My heart goes out to your school community as well as NIU. That's a huge, very sad thing to deal with.
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Yes, I'm so sorry to hear that. Such a terrible thing. I can't comprehend what that must feel like. :(

I really hope you're doing fine. Take care, yes? *hugs*
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I'm sorry to hear that, SK. When I first saw that I thought about you but then had dismissed it cause I thought it was an entire other university (I thought you had a totally seperate college in a different area whoops >< ). This must have your whole campus deeply saddened - were you affected under the lock down and stuff as well?

Paws

Edited cause my bracketing caused a bad smiley malfunction

[Edited on 16/2/08 by fourpawsonthefloor]
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

It happened at a sister campus about an hour away from ours, though the shooter was from my campus. University of Illinois is so large that the campus itself is basically a small city - the vet school and vet hospital are part of it, though the barns and other large animal facilities are slightly separated.

There were no classes on Friday and the school will have heightened security next week. We've been told that classrooms will be locked while classes are in session (we're going to be locked in) and that there will be police check stations throughout the campus.

Inconveniently, Monday is interview day for the class of 2012 at the veterinary school so we'll actually have the most security (or so we've been told).

The atmosphere here is pretty subdued. I think the most worrisome thing for people is the lack of clues as to why it happened.

-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Also extremely worrisome is the media's lack of coverage, about which me and a group of my friends on the University campus are incensed. The situation is no less horrifying than the Virginia Tech shooting, and the fact that VT got front page coverage and NIU gets just a column in U.S. News makes us livid. I don't understand it at all, and moreover I don't think there is anything to understand.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

society is getting so effed up... and the shootings won't end here either... hell in a handbasket comes to mind.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Originally posted by HoodedMan
Also extremely worrisome is the media's lack of coverage, about which me and a group of my friends on the University campus are incensed. The situation is no less horrifying than the Virginia Tech shooting, and the fact that VT got front page coverage and NIU gets just a column in U.S. News makes us livid. I don't understand it at all, and moreover I don't think there is anything to understand.
While VT got so much attention, media outlets also got alot of flack for giving it so much attention, because essentially, it gave the killer everything he wanted and was out for. I remember there being alot of criticism about that. It's possible that they've decided to stop giving so much attention to these instances to try to keep copy catting from happening. Because really, all the attention basically promises that as the killer, you become a household name. No one remembers the dead as much as the killer. Which is even sadder :(.

Not that I agree with that, but I understand if thats why they're not covering it as much.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

That's possible, but at the same time, the media is centered on sensationalism and always has been, because that is what the viewers subconsciously desire. That must have been some inter-outlet memo to shut that all down... I don't know the answer. I think it's just insane.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.