The FV&TTT May/June/July Movie Writing Challenge!!!

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone, and welcome to the Nightscrawlers FV&TTT May/June/July Movie Writing Challenge!!! :wave

With the new Wolverine movie out in theaters, there’s naturally been a lot of renewed speculation about what a movie starring Nightcrawler could, and should, be like. Unfortunately, all too often when a beloved book, series, or character is translated to the screen, much of the depth, history, and heart that made us love and relate to those stories is not just lost, it’s tossed and replaced with re-imagined backstory and flashy computer effects designed to distract the eye from what the soul is missing. Since most of these movies are designed to entertain broad audiences, many of whom know little to nothing of the stories behind the story they’re watching, it’s always the fans that end up disappointed…and disheartened…when their expectations for movie bliss are dashed.

Well, for this challenge, you get a chance to change all that. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to take three sunny months and write out your own vision of what a Nightcrawler movie should be. You can write it as a short story, novella, a screenplay, or even a comic if you're feeling artistically inclined. It can be long and involved and multi-chaptered, or it can be brief and sparse. It can be about Nightcrawler as an X-Man, post-X-Men, pre-X-Men, alternate-universe, all of the above! There are no limits or restrictions on length, characters, or plot, except this must be primarily a Nightcrawler movie. Admit it, we’ve all daydreamed about what would make up the perfect Nightcrawler adventure. Here’s your chance to write it out and make it real! :D :D

The DEADLINE for this May/June/July Movie Writing Challenge will be WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 2009. That will be the last day entries will be accepted. All entries must be completed and submitted at or before midnight that night. After that, the poll will open and you’ll get the chance to vote for your favorite story! The poll will be open between September 17-30, then a new challenge will begin for October. :D

I really hope you like this new challenge! Best of luck, everyone! :D

:bamf

[Edited on 28/7/2009 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Way to take current threads and tie'em into writing challenges Rowena. I'm in.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Screenplay, eh?
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I am so drooling over this ... hope I can make time for it. I might cheat by taking the backstory from my never-ending-fic-in-progress and fleshing it out into its own story. Then if I ever get around to posting it between chapters with the OC, I can simply lift it. Oh, yeeeeah!

Great idea for a challenge, Rowena!

And I want to challenge all the lurkers, and folks who don't write much fanfic but would like to try your hand at it, to give this a whirl. Nobody's gonna throw things at you, or laugh at your hard work. Most of us felt nervous the first time we posted a fic! And some who haven't entered recently (my memory is shot, BlueVelvet comes to mind but there are others, um, besides myself) -- now's your chance. So many of the people here are heavily involved in the RPG, but those of us who aren't, have a bit more time to splurge on fantasizing about what would be The Perfect Nightcrawler Cinematic Vehicle. Even the RPG folks manage to write great fic despite the time that it takes outside of their creative efforts in the game.

Ladies and gentlemen, rev up your creative engines.

[Edited on 5/5/09 by Elfdame]

[Edited on 5/5/09 by Elfdame]
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

This challenge made me think of this:

http://www.the-nightcrawler.net/images/ ... fullsize=1

We already have a poster, all we need is a movie to go with it.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Hmmmm .... Note To Self: add boggies and bamfs to backstory and Summer Challenge plot ....
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

:eek this is gonna be fun, hehe. i'll try my hardest :D:D
binclintonusa
Lubber
Lubber

Post by binclintonusa »

I really hope you like this new challenge! Best of luck, everyone!

pret auto
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Funny that someone posted today, b/c I had thought about hopping on and asking if anyone had time to do this. I think it'd bring out some AWESOME fics.

I am sick with a sinus thingy and low on energy, but had thought about tossing s/t in the ring. I've been adding to Crawler's backstory in preparation for blending it into my fanfic, but don't know if I could get it ready in a mere 6 weeks. Srsly. Took me that long to get Chapter 4 posted, and it was more of a place-holder than a real chapter.

C'mon, folks. BlueVelvet ... neling .... Lone_Bamf ... newbies ... lurkers ... give us something to read when we finally have time! Show us how YOU wish Marvel and alla them would present our beloved Nighty to the world.

neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Hey Elfdame!

Unfortunately, I have been busy too. I have been letting a lot of things slide lately and I need to concentrate on them, so I haven't been able to contribute much recently. Sorry. :shame

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick reminder: the end of June is creeping closer! The deadline for this challenge is July 31, so there's only one month left to get an entry in. If you have an idea, but you just haven't had the time to write it out, please let me know and I can extend the deadline no problem. :)
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I guess there's no way for me to retroactively submit Even Angels Have Scars for this since ... it was my answer to this challenge. (admittedly before the challenge had been made, but still...)

:)

-e
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I wish the same, SK. Yours is one of the BEST interpretations i've ever read. {fawns a while until SK becomes irritated, then rises from kneeling and straightens size 22 denim dress}

Wish I had time to write mine, but our house is falling apart (literally) and my computer's on the fritz. If I could find a quiet place to piece together all the backstory I've written for "Unguarded Moments," it would be so divine: I'd have a challenge entry (I've won money by default before, so not too proud to win a banner that way) and be that much farther ahead on my fic.

if everyone would simply QUIT BOTHERING me ... not gonna happen.

I still say some of the noobs need to use this as an excuse to re-imagine the Crawler story and give us some fics to enjoy. No competition ... how encouraging can you get???

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

I assume there's only one entry so far? I need to make time to read it. Heck, maybe I'll cobble together at least the beginning of my wannabe entry, even if it doesn't get voted on ... maybe I could get feedback on it to make it better for when I actually (Lord willing) post it as part of "Unguarded Moments."

I wonder where October, BlueVelvet, Bamfing Bob and all the others are hiding .........

I still say this is the best challenge yet. Although, yeah, it's sad that many (such as SK and Raven) have already written fics that would have been perfect candidates.

Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Elfdame wrote: Heck, maybe I'll cobble together at least the beginning of my wannabe entry, even if it doesn't get voted on ... maybe I could get feedback on it to make it better for when I actually (Lord willing) post it as part of "Unguarded Moments."
Please, do!
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I so completely and totally chickened out on this one....:shame
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Not too late, O Weeny Jeremus! Start typing, even if it's only a fleshed-out outline. Then fall on your scrawny knees (or dimpled knees, depending on your build and weight) and ask Rowena, for *your* sake, to extend the deadline.

Then I can catch up. I mean, we, that is, you. :shifty

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

I have little yellow chicken knees.....and my mind is hen-pecked from the evil chicken that lives within.:bawl

(I wonder if they have something over the counter for "evil chicken"?)

Here's how the doctor visit would go:

*You need what for who?
-I need a pill to get rid of the chicken.
*A chicken in your yard?
-No, the chicken in my head.
*You have a chicken in your head?
-Yeah. It keeps me from writing the movie.
*So, you're writing a movie?
-No, I'm not writing a movie... because the chicken won't let me.
*Okaaay. So why do you feel you have to write this movie?
-Because Elfdame wants me to.
*There's an elf woman in all of this?
-Yeah.
*So you need a pill for her too.
-I'm not sure she'd want a pill, but I'll ask her.
*So you talk to her often? where does this elf woman live?
-How should I know? I just want something to get rid of the chicken.
*So you have to get rid of the chicken so you can write the movie for this elf woman?
-No....the movie's not for her. She's trying to write the movie too.
*And what's her movie about?
-What they're all about....the Fuzzy Elf.
*The elf dame has a fuzzy friend?
-Yeah, I guess you could say that.
*And what's he like?
-Uh, he's blue with a tail.
*I see....
-Look, Doc. The elf is not the problem....the chicken is. Can you give me something to get rid of the chicken?
*I'm not sure a chicken is your biggest problem.....
-Doc, I know a chicken isn't my biggest problem.
*Well, I'm not sure we have anything to prescribe for getting rid of chickens.....however, I know of a nice place where people with chickens in their heads can "visit" and talk about their problems with nice people who want to help them.
-Thanks, Doc, but I already have a place I go to like that.....Nightscrawlers!

PS [This is NOT an entry for the Summer writing challenge ....this is therapy.:D]

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Why does that remind me of Larry the Cucumber and Dr. Archibald Asparagus?

"I see..."

BTW Jeremus, I have something for you. I sent it to you via U2U.

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

It really isn't too late to get started if you're really interested in whipping up a story for this challenge. If you want to participate, but you're worried about time, I can extend the deadline to August 31. Just let me know! :)

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Jeremus -- you rock! LMFAO!!!! :LOL

In addition to house re-arranging etc now I'm a tad ill. But we'll see if I can whip it up ... I'll U2U you, Rowena, if I get started in earnest and need a later deadline.

Jeremus: we won't laugh at your script. We've all put up things that others read and we worry that they'll be judgemental -- so that makes US very tolerant of most people's efforts. Really. No guts, no glory (and as a lady with a 46" waist -- I don't know centimetres, sorry -- I am very glorified!).

Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Jeremus »

Thanks, Rowena! If Elfdame or anyone else asks for more time, maybe I'll write something.....MAYBE....but I can't promise anything so don't extend the deadline just for me. (I will probably chicken out in the end.) Thanks for the offer, though.

Elfdame: Ah...but you did laugh at my "Chicken script" above and it was full of action, intrigue, and intense emotional drama.....:P (just kidding! I'm really glad you liked it.)
I'll take your word that no one will laugh.....actually what I''m most afraid of is a reaction like this::hideeyesor this:Z, but I will try to talk myself into ignoring those evil little devils on my shoulders and even if I don't write something for this challenge....maybe I'll get up enough courage to write something for another one.
People are very nice here and you're right....no guts, no glory.:)
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Am taking time out from cleaning house and petting the Parrot (not to mention getting my "real" fanfic chapter 5 ready) to WRITE THE BLOOMIN' ENTRY. And my reason?

To *shame* all you chicken-hearts into taking a stab at this. :D C'mon ... YOU get to write THE Nightcrawler movie. Okay, only in our fantasy-land here, but still ... and yes this seems to be a time of Real Life raining poop on everyone -- which makes me think, what better time to *escape* into a wonderful fuzzy fantasy world for a while!

Ladies and gents, start your engines. Put on those thinking caps. And get yours finished before mine (I'll have to post in installments since it's still in crude form in my document).

We can't let Rowena win her own Challenge by default. Not that it's about winning, or banners: it's about sharing our creativity, even if we feel it's in a more primal stage than This or That Person's.

As Rogue or Sam would put it: I double-dog dare you.

I am officially asking our Challenge Mistress to extend the deadline for myself, Queen Of Slackers. And tossing the gauntlet to anyone else who might not be satisfied wtih the way 'Crawler has been represented in the movieverse. Certainly you can do better than X-2, hmmmm?:rolleyes

P.S. -- Bamfing Bob, I can hear you breathing out there. Don't make me come looking for you with my spiked rolling pin and Cast Iron Skillet Of Doom!

[Edited on 27/7/09 by Elfdame]

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi Everyone!

OK, the challenge deadline is officially extended to WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2009. So, that gives you a little more than a month and a half to write out and submit your entries! :D The poll to vote for the winning entry will be open between SEPTEMBER 17-30, and then a new challenge will begin for October.

If, as you're writing and the deadline creeps closer, you know you're near the finish line but you just need more time to tie your conclusion together, let me know and we can work something out. These challenges are supposed to be fun, not stressful. :D

P.S. As the "Challenge Mistress" ;) it's a kind of iffy thing for me to submit an entry for my own challenge. But a challenge like this needs at least three entries if there's going to be a really good poll at the end (it's rarer to get locked in a tie that way). Therefore, if we get three or more entries (besides my "Sinister Motives") I'm going to withdraw my story from the challenge and just keep adding to it as a normal fic. So, come on, I know there's more than three people out there with enough imagination and drive to write the ultimate Nightcrawler movie! Let's get this challenge started!!! :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

(newbie grins and steps tentatively onto the thread)

I would write a Nightcrawler film... but I have no idea what to write. See, my Nightie fantasies tend to revolve around alternate-realities and mostly thought-oriented subjects... which always end up as horrible movies.

That being said, I'd like to thank the people who have taken up this challenge! I've been lurking around this site for a couple of months now, choosing not to sign up until after my extended stay in England. But I love all of the two stories that started from this challenge!

Now there's another idea I had...but that would end up as "Wolverine #5... co-starring Nightcrawler." Not because I'd write it that way, but because they'd direct it that way.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.