"...and the Bells Toll At Midnight" (Movie Writing Challenge

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

guh!! i've been meaning to get this done sooner. being a freshman in all honors isn't all it's craked up to be. but yeah, this is only a beginning scene. if i have enough time, i'll add more.

this portion of the movie takes place in Kurt's teenage life (around 16) at the circus. it's leading up to the point where Kurt joins the x-men. so, without further ado...

"...and the Bells Toll At Midnight" by BlueVelvet14

The moon held it's place in the night sky over Winseldorf, Germany. Its pale light shining through the thin, white blinds of Kurt Wagner's window bounced off of a mirror in the far corner of the small room. It was roughly 11pm, but Kurt did not bother with the time. He was thinking to himself, his face stained with deep concentration. He should have been in bed, but this thought came into his mind and left him wondering,

"Is there more to my life than showcasing myself for people who resent me?"

How the thought came to the demonic teenager, he does not know. It lingers there, hanging by a small thread of sanity. He let this thought dangle in place for some time and then, about 20 minutes later, retreated to his bed. He swaddled himself in the white blanket covering his bed. After a few more minutes of thinking, he dozed off to sleep.
8am. Saturday, August 21. Kurt's alarm clock alerted him to this moment of time. Why he set the blasted thing for 8, he could not recall. He put the alarm into silence and stumbled through his home towards the kitchen area. His "mother", Margali Szardos, saw him enter and greeted him happily,

"Guten Morgan.", she said with a strained smile

Kurt said nothing. He made a gutteral sound, much like a growl. Margali saw his fatigue and put a cup of coffee in front of him. He stared at the mug and looked to Margali with confusion.

"Drink it!" she said with persistence.
"I don't drink coffee," the demonic teen mumbled.
"You will now. Drink," Margali persisted again.

The fatigued teen picked up the mug and sipped slowly. The bitter fluid burned his lip and tounge, but he did not care. He placed it back on the table with gentile ease, but broke the mood with a thud on the table. Kurt slammed his head onto the table in an attempt to fall back asleep. Margali shook his shoulder violently and yelled,

"Mein Gott! What's the matter with you!?"

For several weeks, she noticed that Kurt's behavior was off. He was usually happy and energetic. He had a buoyant personality that made everyone at the circus laugh. However, he seemed distant and troubled, as if he was being tormented by a hidden cause for it all. She finally asked him what was wrong and if she could help. His response:

"I'm fine. Just tired. No big deal."
"It is a big deal, Kurt. You've been growing colder from all of us. From me, the other performers. It's not like you. Let me he--"
"I'm FINE!!"

The anger in his voice shook Margali. He never got angry like this, except for the time that dropped a kettle on his foot when he was 8. Kurt stormed away in fury and locked himself in his room. He slouched against the door and began to sob.

"Margali's right," he thought to himself, "I'm not myself anymore. I'm not happy here like I was before. What's wrong with me?"

He could not answer his own question. Instead, he silenced himself by throwing his body onto his bed and sobbed into the pillow for what seemed like an eternity.

After several minutes of crying rivers, Kurt lifted his head up from the pillow-turned-rag. He knew what he had to do. He had to leave the circus...for good.

yes. that is the end (for now). if i manage to find the time between school and science projects, i'll complete the rest. critiques would be gladly appreciated and comments are always welcome. hope you enjoyed :)

[Edited on 8/23/09 by BlueVelvet14]
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

"...and the Bells Toll At Midnight" (Movie Writing Challenge)

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Yeah! Another entry for the Movie Challenge Contest! Keep up the writing!

Being 15, I totally know what Kurt is feeling here.... sometimes you feel the strangest way for no reason whatsoever! :rolleyes Darn those hormones.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

okay...i'm taking a small break from my bio project to finish up the second piece of this story. here we are!

Dead of night. There was nothing to be seen or heard outdoors. However, indoors, Kurt scavanged through his room to find a bag. He managed to find a duffel bag one of the circus members used when they moved to the property.

"They wouldn't mind", Kurt thought.

He quickly emptied his dresser drawers and his closet of his clothes and memories and put them into the bag. He thought he packed everything he needed for his escape from his childhood home until a certain thought struck him. He turned to his dresser, the mirror on top reflecting the moonlight like it did everynight. But it was not the mirror that had Kurt thinking. It was what was hanging on the mirror that gave him his answer.

"I must take this," he thought.

One of his three large fingers hooked the small chain hanging from the top corner of the mirror. It was his rosary, the one Margali gave to him when he was smaller. She said it would "help him", whatever that ment. He knew he had to leave the circus, and now he knew where he had to go.
The town of Winseldorf was quiet and placid at night. The street lights illumitated the pathway that Kurt was walking. This was the first time he actually set foot into the town. He did not before because of his "skin problem", as Margali called it. With his large duffel bag slamming against his body, he trekked through the small town. He knew where he wanted to go, but just could not figure out where exactly it was. That is, until midnight of course. The bells always toll at midnight. He just had to follow the bells when he heard them.

"DONG! DONG! DONG!"

The distinct noise broke the placid silence and Kurt ran straight for the building which housed the bells. He reached his designation as soon as the bells silenced. His new home, the town's church.

Kurt opened the door and walked in. The church hall was larger than he expected. The moonlight shining through the brightly decorated stained-glass window fell flawlessly onto the alter in the back of the hall.

"Perfekt!," Kurt thought, "No one would ever suspect that I'm here!"

He explored the church with the curiosity level of a five-year-old. The holy water bowl next to the door made him question wy the water was so special. He noticed that there was a balcony above the entrance. Kurt wanted to see what was up there, so he tried to find the staircase to enable him to do the act. He managed to find it after getting lost in the vast hallways of the church. The door to the balcony was locked and it seemed that it had been that was since the church's opening.

"Well it seems right," Kurt observed, "Only half the town attend church and of those half, only half of them are Protestant."

Margali told him that, he recalled. He decided to move his belongings to the balcony. Question was, how was he going to get himself up there?

"BAMF!"

Kurt used his recently discovered ability to teleport up to the balcony. He found out about his teleportation ability about three weeks earlier when he fell off the trapeze. He imagined himself safely on the ground and he was there. When he looked up, a puff of purpleish-black smoke marked his previous place.

When he made it to the balcony, he realized how neglected it was. Dust covered the remaining pews. The other pews looked termite eaten and molded. Cobwebs seemed to grow like crabgrass on the railing of the balcony. Didn't the Catholic Church know anything about cleanliness?

"Oh well, at least I'm happy," Kurt thought.

He sat down and took his blanket out from his bag. He spread it out over himself as he lay down onto a pew that seemed sturdy. He soon drifted off to sleep and for once, dreamt pleasent dreams.

more to come kids! gotta get back to homework before mom catches me, haha!! comment/critique!! :)
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Re-reading this, I enjoyed it even more. Certain descriptive phrases ("buoyant personality", "he let this thought dangle in place", "slouched against the door" )and insight into Kurt's home life ("skin problem," dropping the kettle on his foot, etc) make me want more. When time allows, of course.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

BlueVelvet14
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by BlueVelvet14 »

haha, thanks Elfdame!!
i might be able to expand the story when the weekend rolls by. be on the lookout, kk??