night anatomy

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Post by swordwhalewalking »

Ok, here we go again. I posted this one a week or two ago then the site was hacked and crashed. Here's the original piece again, as well as another sketch that is actually a preliminary doodle for a more intense piece which will use my usual style (see website listed below) of layers and overlapping imagery. I thought I'd try to do Nightcrawler's "totem animals"...I think leopard (lean, agile, likes to climb, comes in dark color phases) and raven (one of the gentle trickster characters from Native American myth, a suitable totem for the X-Men's gentle trickster...they're also agile aerialists, and frighteningly intelligent...and it's a nod to Raven Darkholme, though I didn't think of that till later.)
"What a ship is...is freedom"
(Captain Jack Sparrow, swashbuckler at large)

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

all the best men are married, dead, gay or fictional
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

more night anatomy

This is the sketch for the bigger piece.

Ar im padathon vi eryn endor vain hen, i na idh far." ("And I will walk in the woods of this fair land which is rest enough." Legolas, Return of the King)

Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

night anatomy

Post by Maelstrom »

;pant Congrats, swordwhalewalking, these are the only pictures I've ever actually downloaded so I could keep it on my computer. I know you posted one of them before, and that I saw it before, but... DAMN! It still looks beautiful! :love

You're a professional artist, aren't you? Tell me you're professional, that you've got work in a gallery, somewhere.... :love
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
darkmillennia
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by darkmillennia »

...Holy fried hell on a stick.

O.o;;;...
ShizNIT - We are the shiznatch, get out mah biznatch!

My Stupid Forums
MikkTorrent
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by MikkTorrent »

ah said HOT DAMN! dude:shocked:love:lick
CRIPPLE!

"Dag-blasted bug done bit me on my set-upon!"
-cookie, atlantis
BamfChyck
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

night anatomy

Post by BamfChyck »

I really love your drawings. I think you're an incredible artist. Please share more of them, as you can. They really are a pleasure.

Why do you think Raven (not Darkholme) is a "gentle" trickster? That doesn't match what I know. I just don't see that working for him really. But that's me--we all have slightly different ideas of who Kurt really is.
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

night anatomy

Post by kurtlover »

i must need to comment on this again!! because its absolutelly amazing :love
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

night anatomy

Post by taekwondodo »

Really beautiful pictures. Love them, especially the first. His tail looks awesome and very natural. Love his glowing eyes in #1 also.
vantid
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by vantid »

Niiiice drawings. I look forward to seeing how you incorporate the totems.
Mad With Power
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

night anatomy

Post by Mad With Power »

Ooh, I have to comment again too. Still love 'em! :kiss
fuzzy_lambada_dancer
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Post by fuzzy_lambada_dancer »

That's so AMAZING! AHHH!!! He's filled with sexiness with his anatomicaly correct tail ness!
I'm fine...but why are the gypsies dancing the lambada?

-Nightcrawler

I bite :bite, meep :eek, dance :tophat, and poke :pokejoke. That is my life. Go me!
Tatu
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

night anatomy

Post by Tatu »

and we welcome back dancer and her love for nudity (I wonder how long before she asks me to repost my drawing..), its beautiful art work by the way ..im jealous of the talent...i wanna be talented too!!
Call me King!
Shadow_Dancer
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

night anatomy

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Fantastic drawings

I wish I could draw this well
I do lanscapes but have never mastered
human anatomy.

I bow to your greatness

I'll have to down load them and add them to my Kurt "Pin-up" collection ;)
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream." Mark Twain

Shadow Dancer's Fanfic Archive Image
BOO
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by BOO »

Wow, It's not often you come across artists who can get the human(ish) anatomy down to such a fine art (excuse the pun). I really like your work. I draw, but not like that *goes green with envy*.

How long have you spent on the pieces and how much practice did you do to get so good at drawing figures? Just wondering :)
Why no less than 50 characters per post? It's not really a problem for me 'cause I can ramble for an age... But how are you supposed to play the word association game now?
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Post by Sandy »

That tail...looks so...natural...... :lick

I mean, you can't just study some humans with tails to get it right, can you?

Amazing....

Sandy
kurtlover
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

night anatomy

Post by kurtlover »

Sorry i had to check them again ;pant
he's so hot!
Sandy
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Post by Sandy »

...yeah, and the only problem I have when I print out such hot piccies is the fact that most of them have an abundance of blue and black....eating away at my blue and black print cartridges :dead

I'M anxiously awaiting the "finished" artwork!

Sandy
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Bamfchyck:

Hmmm, I wasn't too clear there? Raven is far from gentle, she's the archetypal wicked trickster, evil, evil wicked wench.

It's Nightcrawler who's the gentle trickster. Read some of the Native American stories with Raven or Coyote or Racoon or Spiderman, (yeah, I think it's Lakota(Sioux) where Iktomi (the spiderman) exists). In some of the myths, those characters are quite rude and edgy, in others they are "demi-urges" Creator's helpers (like Raven putting the stars and sun and moon in the sky). They're complicated characters, echoed by things in European and Mainstream American culture like Reynard the Fox, or Wil E Coyote. But often they are gently funny, the humor pointing out aspects of human nature. I think Nighty has a lot of those qualities.

MikkTorrent
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by MikkTorrent »

:: suddenly feels terrribly inadequate :: wow, i'm going to be go to collage for stuff like that, and i'm no where near that good :: kow tows:: teach me o great one!
CRIPPLE!

-cookie, atlantis
swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Oh crappola, here I go spamming my topic again (sorry about the dual posts).

Thanks for the feedback folks! I will post further developments!

I love the Thunder and Brimstone piece, by the way, MWP. I think they really need to be a couple.

Read Bernd Heinrich's "Mind of the Raven" he goes into raven mythology a bit (both the Teutonic Odin thingie from northern Europe, (neither Odin nor his ravens are evil, they are products of the culture and time period they sprang from, it was much tougher, so the mythic characters aren't quite as gentle. Odin's ravens were collectors of knowledge and news, their names were Thought and Memory)
...and the north American Indian/Inuit stuff (human hunters, like wolves, looked to Raven to lead them to prey...and it's a biological fact, not myth, that they do, and then share in the feast) Raven seems to have a lot of respect in Native myth.

It occurs to me that owl would work too (sits with two toes forward, and can see in the dark, and has been known to "bamf" in silently from above in an attack, also is quite softly fuzzy; the flight feathers are covered with a short velvet, which makes owls the original stealth bombers; totally silent in flight, a lot of our native Pennsylvania owls have yellow eyes too...none of them are blue though).

Still working on the pro thing: I've been a starving artist for waaaaay too long, I did get a few tiny little things published once upon a time, but as Kurt said once in that four-part Icons mini-series; "I will not stop!" :lockheed

swordwhalewalking
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

night anatomy

Hey MikkTorrent, college is the place to start, but I didn't learn anything about art till I got out of art school. The bottom line is draw draw draw. I have this sketchbook, one of the big bound-like-a-book ones (I hate those spiral thingies) and a fishing tackle box (with the smaller, flatter, little boxes that go inside, they can hold pencils and stuff)...I carry it all over, and doodle wherever I can. I use a lot of photo research, but be careful of that, because photos can lie.

If, for instance, I'm doing a portrait of my friend's horse (last Christmas), I get him to bring me about two dozen pics. That gives me a better sense of the creature than one photo.

I draw stuff live: go to the aquarium, to the zoo, on the Metro on the way to the Smithsonian, wherever. Sketching live means you have to sketch fast, especially animals. I have a small useful zoo at home, a couple of horses, cats, Siberians (so I should be able to draw wolves any day now...my buddy who's been living with Siberians since she was 11 is way better, but I'm better at horses). I volunteer with some local wildlife rehabbers, so I've got to handle owls and hawks and otters and other odd things...and had a chance to sketch them. We have a really awesome local county park which I also volunteer at twice a month, they've got great taxidermy displays and...ooooh, ahhhh ;pant ..they have a leopard! Which I'll need for the finish of this piece. One of the rehabbers has a raven, and I've got sketches of him in my book.

I'm still blown away by the comic artists who can knock off a great bit of anatomy in motion without breaking a sweat (or pulling out 152 research photos). Most of the ones who've done Nighty in his black and red V costume have this great way of getting a sense of mass and perspective even in the flat black silhouette parts of his body.

They're also awesome at perspective, environments (architecture, rooms) and technology.

On the other hand, I've rarely seen comic artists do good animals. (The couple of times I've seen them do wolverines, for instance, I've cringed. We have two excellent taxidermy wolverines at Nixon Park, and I've drawn them...not as well as most mediocre wildlife artists...but geeez guys, research! And don't get me started on horses! I've handled horses since I was four and I've seen bad anatomy and gear that would never work even (if it did exist) on everything from bookcovers (fantasy, kid's books) to comics and cartoons. :mad

Rant over...:dead

Anyway, just draw, look at other people's work that you admire, (copying it helps you learn how they did it), draw, research, draw.

And don't quit.

But have a backup career.

But never throw the sketchbook away. :bamf

MikkTorrent
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by MikkTorrent »

thank you!:D
CRIPPLE!

-cookie, atlantis
vantid
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by vantid »

Most excellant advice! Research is tedious, practicing even more so, but it all pays off in the end.

*admires the pics even more* yum.
Neon
Lubber
Lubber

night anatomy

Post by Neon »

Originally posted by Shadow_Dancer
I'll have to down load them and add them to my Kurt "Pin-up" collection ;)
Great idea... ;pant
Very, VERY nice. And I just noticed he's holding a towel in the 1st one. For some reason, that makes it even sexier. Like you've caught him unawares...
:naughty
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything."
~ Bill Lyon

I love the Oekaki Board
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

night anatomy

Post by Gaz »

Eeeeeeee I LOVE it!!!!
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.