The Circus (A What If)

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

The Circus (A What If)

Post by Lauren »

People paid good money to see the Incredible Nightcrawler. Sometimes, the show was completely sold out in a single hour. Margali soon started to raise the prices to see him, and the people saved up as much as they could to at least see the Incredible Nightcrawler once every year.

I mean, who wouldn’t want to see a real live demon in a cage?

That was what Nightcrawler was, ever since he was found washed up beside a river wrapped up in a blanket. He was a young man now, and he prowled his cage like one of the tigers, baring his fangs at those who got too close to the iron bars.

He was raised as an animal, so an animal he was when the audience was around. He howled like a wolf when the mood took him, and sometimes he leapt at the people and banged against his bars, slashing wildly at the air around him.

Once, when he banged against the bars when a child got too close, a man holding a bottle of beer hurled it at him to stop him from getting at her. It smashed against the side of his face and he threw himself back, howling as blood poured from the wound, leaving him with three jagged scars on the left side of his face.

He was an animal, but sometimes he was not an animal. Before she moved away from her mother’s disgusting circus, Jimaine would keep Nightcrawler company at night when the others were asleep. She taught how to speak, and she also taught him how to read a little bit. She gave up however when it looked like the lessons weren’t sinking in. She still kept him company however, and she even gave him hot food instead of the cold fish heads he was thrown every third day.

When Jimaine left with her brother Stefan, Nightcrawler let out loud pained howls for a week until Margali beat it out of him.

Contrary to what Jimaine thought, Nightcrawler remembered everything she had ever told him.

It was in the middle of a winter night, and Nightcrawler as curled up in a ball, shivering as his breath came out in large white clouds. As a rule, demons were not supposed to wear clothes, so he was given only a loincloth with enough cloth to make him decent in front of small children.

Whimpering softly, he tried to curl himself into a tighter ball, his body going into shivering fits now.

He heard someone walking towards his cage. Raising his head, he sniffed the air and hissed softly to try and warn them away. When that did not work, he got ready to pounce at the bars when he suddenly saw the bars starting to wave back and forth like they were made of some kind of fabric.

Whimpering in confusion, he scuttled to the farthest corner of his cage and he pressed his back against it, watching as the bars separated, letting in a tall man in a long cloak with a helmet that covered everything except his ice blue eyes.

“Hello.” The mad said softly, looking down at Nightcrawler. Nightcrawler tried a weak hiss, but it only made the man chuckle as he walked up and sat down beside Nightcrawler.

“Now now, there is no need for hissing at anyone.” The man assured him gently. “I am here to help you.” He looked Nightcrawler over and he sighed softly, shaking his head.

“You’re not an animal, nor are you a demon. You are a mutant, the next step in evolution regarding these pitiful humans. You should be somewhere safe and warm, not in this tiny cage with nothing but a scrap of cloth to cover yourself with!”

The man shrugged off his long maroon cloak and he placed it over Nightcrawler’s trembling shoulders.

“There you are. That should do for now until I get you to my base.” He said. He smiled and slipped out of the cage, waiting just outside of it with a hand outstretched.

“This is where you must make a choice, brother.” He said. “Stay in this cage with my cloak and be ridiculed for the remainder of your life, or come with me and punish those who have wronged you.”

Nightcrawler looked at the hand, unsure whether or not he should go. He shifted a little and hugged the cloak tighter around his body. It was indeed warm against the cold, and the fabric was very soft and soothing against his fur.

Very slowly, he reached out and took Magneto’s hand. Magneto helped him step out of the cage and he led him out of the circus grounds, helping him walk straight since he had walked on all fours for years.

When they were out of the camp’s site, Nightcrawler suddenly hugged onto Magneto’s arm tightly, smiling up at the old man.

“Ich liebe du.” He said softly, his voice sounding hoarse and dry from not being used. His eyes shone with unshed tears. “Mein herr, mein freund!”
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

The Circus (A What If)

Post by kladyelf »

An interesting story, i remember reading in a reprint of the 1960's X-men that Magneto had rescued toad and they had a kind of King/lowly servant thing happening, where mags would insult him and abuse him all the while talking about freedom and mutant superiority (this was the pre-Claremont Magneto) - Kurts final statements in your fic put me in mind of this... i dunno why.
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

The Circus (A What If)

Post by Lauren »

lol, I've heard about that too. I read in I think Universe X or Eather X, Toad talks about that and how he really planned vengeance! MUHAHAHAHA! *cough cough* I'm glad you liked my fic though.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
Zuno
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

The Circus (A What If)

Post by Zuno »

Wow. Both sad and tutching at one time. You realy got talent. I realy liked the end. :*)
Please visit my art side: http://the-shadowcat.deviantart.com/

I apolagise for my spelling mistakes.
English being my second language + dyslexsia = lotts of them XD