Mother...

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Mother...

Post by Lauren »

Mystique was dying. Kurt couldn’t believe it when he received the letter in the mail, but it was indeed true. His mother was dying in a state prison hospital. It seems a rookie with the need to play hero shot her in the small of the back when she was making a run for it. Also, it seems that she “tripped” and fell down a flight of stairs while in the custody of the same rookie.

At first, Kurt felt a wave of relief that the police had finally taken in his mother, but the feeling was quickly replaced with regret. She was his mother after all, and she had given him life, even if she did try to take it away a few hours afterwards.

He went to Xavier and he told him that Warren would be in charge of his group for a while. Xavier understood and told Kurt he wished him the best of luck and that he could take off enough time, as he felt he needed.

Kurt took the Blackbird and he flew to the prison’s hospital. When he parked it, he met with some resistance from some of the younger officers. He simply snapped his tail a few times, making it crack like a whip. The men immediately backed off and let him enter the hospital.

When he found his mother’s room, he found the door closed and guarded by two armed officers. He asked to see her and when he felt that he hadn’t made his point that he needed to see her, he pointed out that he could sue them for these so called “accidents” committed towards her.

Wow, he never knew cops moved that fast unless they were mutants.

When he saw his mother, he almost couldn’t believe it was her. Yes, this woman was blue skinned with crimson hair, but her body was so frail and all hooked up to machines…this was not the strong woman he had fought in the past for humanity.

Slowly, he walked up and he sat down beside her, curling his tail around his ankles lightly. He sat like that, looking over his mother’s body before she opened her eyes, revealing her eyes to be a sickly yellow instead of the intense yellow of the past. Her mouth twitched into a slight smile as she moved one hand towards him.

“Kurt…” Kurt winced slightly at that sound. This was not the strong commanding voice of the woman who had once led the Brotherhood and sent out a type of the Legacy virus to kill off humans. This voice was much too frail for that woman, and it was at that moment that Kurt felt the sting of tears coming to his eyes. He blinked rapidly, looking away for a moment.

“Kurt, what is the matter?” Mystique asked, trying to sit up. Quickly, Kurt rested the tip of his tail onto her chest.

“Don’t try to sit up, mother. They say you broke some ribs.” He said softly. Mystique curled her lip in a sneer, and a bit of the old Mystique shown through the sickness.

“I suppose they say it was an accident?” she asked. Kurt nodded and Mystique made a harsh noise that must of meant to be a laugh. “Yes, it was an accident that they kicked me thirty times in the chest.”

“Mother, are you in pain? I could ask for more pain killers.”

“Kurt, if I got any more pain killers, I would be high as a kite!” she said, coughing suddenly. The coughing fit continued for a few more moments, making Kurt wonder if he should go and get help.

“Don’t worry.” She said as it calmed down. “I’m fine.”

“Mother…” Kurt took her hand in his and he slid his chair closer to her bedside. “I’m worried about you.” Mystique cocked an eyebrow, turning her head to look at her son.

“Worried? Why? I thought you would be happy about this.” She said. Kurt shook his head, looking at her in horror.

“Nein, why would you think that? Just because you did what you did when I was a few hours born? I have gotten over that! That is old news. You are my mother. I’m worried for you as a son.” He said seriously.

“As a son…” Mystique repeated, looking away for a moment. “Sometimes, I wonder what would have happened if I had kept you, you know. Maybe you wouldn’t be such a Bible thumper and a Jesus freak.” Kurt couldn’t help but frown.

“I’m sorry that is all you can think of.” He said flatly. Mystique shook her head, sighing softly.

“Don’t be mad.” She said softly. “That’s just one of the things I wonder about. I also wonder if you and Rogue would have gotten along if I had raised you. Would you be good with swords? Would you be sensitive to people’s emotions like you are now? Would you be funny or charming?”

“Mother…” Kurt said softly. “Don’t talk about it anymore. The point is, what is past is past. I am here now as I am with you.” Without warning, Mystique slowly started to sit up and she made it this time, resting her back against the pillows. Turning her head to face Kurt, she smiled a bigger smile.

“You’ve made me so proud, my son.” She said, lifting her hand and running a finger down his cheek. “Even though we were on different sides, you always made me proud to be your mother.”

Closing his eyes, Kurt leaned his head against the palm of Mystique’s hand. He took it and held it there, kissing the palm lightly.

“I never told you about what I did at Murder World did I?” she asked, tilting her head to one side. “I trained there, with robots that looked and acted like the X-men. I was able to kill every single one, but not yours. I could never kill the robot that was meant to be you.”

“Don’t talk about this.” Kurt said softly.

“I have to.” Mystique said seriously. “Because I will never have another chance to tell you what I need to tell you!”

“Mother, I love you. Don’t hurt yourself for me. You need to rest and try to fight this.”

“There is nothing to fight anymore. Destiny knew that when it was her turn to die, and I’m not going to fight it either. I need you to know how proud I am of you!” The machines that monitored her heart rate started to beep widely, sending up a small alarm that normal caring doctors would respond to immediately. Since this was to the room of the terrorist, no one was exactly running to her aid.

“I’m sorry for being a bad mother.” Mystique continued, ignoring the sounds and the look of worry in her son’s eyes. “I should have been there but I wasn’t. You grew up into a good man, and I don’t want you to ever change! Do you understand?” she asked, her grip on his hand becoming painfully tighter.

“I understand.” Kurt said, restraining himself from breaking into a sob. Smiling slowly, Mystique leaned forward and she kissed him on the brow. Then, she suddenly fell back onto the bed as all of the alarms blared loudly, pronouncing her dead.

Kurt sat numb in his chair, staring at his mother’s body before someone came in and gently led him away.
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
rockstar
Lookout
Lookout

Mother...

Post by rockstar »

oh my goodness.... that was so beautiful.
*grabs a box of kleenex*

That was such a sad (but beautiful) story. Mystique really does have a heart.

I'm gonna go hug my own mother, now....
"The whole idea of being in a dark superhero film was quite amusing, and I like that it's got a strong moral track about acceptance............. And then of course the idea of flying around, killing people with my tail -- that kind of appealed to me." :tail
- Alan Cumming (Interview with Wizard Magazine)
Gaz
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Mother...

Post by Gaz »

*tears up*

It's like a hallmark story without the fake sentiment and bad storylines.....

:cry
DeviantArt | Live Journal
---------------------------------------

Stan: Can Eric spend the night?
Mrs. Cartman: No, I'm sorry, Eric is grounded
for trying to exterminate the Jews last week.
SheCat
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Mother...

Post by SheCat »

Oh wow...great job.

On grammatical note, great variation in sentence beginnings and keeping it a smooth read.

On a topic note, I loved it. Not artificial, as was mentioned, but still very touching.

But you still have yet to make me cry. Tearing up though, dangit.
"I throw de cards, de cards go BOOM! End of bad guy, end of story." -Gambit, X-Treme
"Everything I still want I just now prayed for." -Kreon, Antigone :cry
Viceroy of the Black Tom Appreciation Society
"You act like I know what day of the week it is." ~Patchy
From the Strange and Twisted Mind of Emmy-Jay / Enter the Patchverse...:respectgambit
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Mother...

Post by Lauren »

Shecat, you my friend are a very hard nut to crack but I vow upon my alan and nightcrawler pictures...I will make you cry!
"I am known as Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III. Don't hesitate to call." -Vash the Stampede

"No, you see I'm blind in my right eye now... So boring. You know what really makes me pissy? Grunge, Heroine chic, and dying are over. I so hate being behind the curve. Tourism's up." Brett(Alan Cumming) from Urbania
RavEnigma
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Mother...

Post by RavEnigma »

So sad! :( But very realistic, and it was nice that they had a touching mother-son moment before she died. As a Mystique fan, I'm very pleased with this portrayal. Keep up the good work!
:bunny Naz-Bunny Lover Club member #1

"God help the outcasts, or nobody will"

"That's not a cat, it's a minion of the antichrist!"

Pietro Fan Club Member #1
:evopietro = :love
Lauren
Navigator
Navigator

Mother...

Post by Lauren »

I'm glad you like it. sometimes it's hard to get a good portrayel of Mystique going!