Even Angels have Scars -- Complete

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

So...um...is your Azzy an actual demon? The comic version, from what I can gather, is a mutant with magical ability who inspired the myth of demons...

Getting good now...poor, poor, Kurti...wonder what it is with us Nighty loving writers and our need to torture the poor boy?
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Ironically, all the torturing is to set up an explanation of Azazel.

To answer your question, yes. But I'll leave it short rather than give away the plot.

Though I must warn you that it will take a little while to get there as well since it seems that in order to explain Azazel I had to turn into Tolstoy.

Not that this has anything to do with the story - but I'm taking a break before sewing the final seam of my coat. (and thus completing the sewing!). After that I break out the shiny paint and the squirt gun.

-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Missing Not Lost

Post by Saint Kurt »

"When your family decides to have a crisis, you guys dont mess around do you?"

Their new trailer, which was so much bigger than their old van was suddenly too small. Margali paced from her sleeping compartment in the back to the front captains chairs and back. She didnt dare leave in case Kurt came back, or if someone needed her. She had seen Amanda out looking, and she knew that nearly all of the members of the circus had joined her. It was best that someone stay behind. Margali heard the door open and whirled around.

"Kurt?"

But it was Annika Olsson. "Sorry, its just me." She said. "Do you need anything?"

Margali sank down in one of the passenger seats and shook her head. "No. I just need to know that Kurt is safe, thats all." She said.

Annika sat down and put a hand on Margalis shoulder. Margali had to resist the urge to force her hand away. It was meant to be a comforting gesture, but even that seemed shrill and false.

"Terry found some more flashlights." Annika said.

Margali drew in a shaky breath. The last time anyone had seen Kurt the sun was in the middle of the sky; now they needed flashlights. She nodded numbly. What could she say? Should she be glad that they had more flashlights when her son was missing?

"Lars is really worried." Annika said.

Margali could feel anger surging inside of her at the mention of Lars name. "He should be." She said.

Annika knitted her brow. "Margali, you dont actually think Lars is responsible do you?"

"Isnt he?" Margali said. "Why was Kurt by himself? Why did Lars leave him alone?"

"It wasnt just Lars; Petra was there, and Ivan and Gretchen. Amanda was there. Are you going to blame all of them?"

Margali balled her fists so tightly she could feel her nails digging into her palms. "How could they have been so stupid?" She said.

"Kurts seventeen years old. Hes not a child anymore. You cant protect him forever." Annika said.

"Cant I?" Margali said. "If not me than who?"

"God." Said Annika. "You many not believe in Him, but you have a son who does." Annika stood up. "Maybe one day youll have to let Kurt find ways to protect himself." She said. "Ill let you know if theres any news."

Margali stared straight ahead, saying nothing. She hardly noticed Annika leave. She was about to get up and look out the window when she was struck but a searing pain that sliced through her temples as though it meant to rip her in two. Margali gasped and fell to the floor. Her vision filled up with fire, flames licking at her from every direction. Slowly those flames darkened and they were replaced by water so cold that it threatened to freeze her to her core. Clutching the sides of her head, Margali lurched to her feet and staggered to her bed where she lay down.

She could feel life being sapped out of her by some unseen force. Long ago she had given this energy willingly to practice the magic of her ancestors, but she had all but ceased when she started having children. Her life, her position on the way had become too valuable to fritter it away so easily. And yet, now, against her will it was being sucked away. Margali curled up and even as she struggled against it, she followed to visions it gave her. She could hear waves against the shore, there were footsteps above, the world was dark and cool, she was in pain.

Margali opened her eyes in surprise. She knew where Kurt was. She knew exactly where he was. She sat up quickly, but when she went to rise her legs buckled beneath her and she fell to the floor. Whatever it was that had given her this vision had taken the strength she needed to act upon it. There had to be some way to tell someone. She had just enough strength left to do that. She just hoped they would hear her.

Wolfgang shined the beam of his flashlight behind of row of concession stands that had been boarded shut for the night. Several large rats skittered into the shadows but there was no sign of Kurt. Exasperated, he turned in a circle, shining the light around him. How did you find someone with Kurts coloration, who blended seamlessly in shadow, after dark? It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. Unless he happened to catch Kurt in the light directly, he would miss him entirely.

He could hear the voices of the others, calling out Kurts name, his full name, the one that Wolfgang had given him. Exhausted, Wolfgang sat down on a bench. Officially Kurt had been missing for nine hours, but it had only been a little over four since Lars had come back with Kurts jacket. Since then he had been pulled in a dozen different directions. He had had to find Terry and cancel the show. Then he had returned to backstage tent to tell everyone that they wouldnt be performing. The festival organizers hadnt been satisfied with Terrys explanation and had sought out Wolfgang to hear it for themselves. He had spent the rest of the time organizing a search, dividing a map of the festival complex up and after the sun went down finding enough flashlights for everyone.

Wolfgang knew he wasnt alone in blaming himself; he was sure that the same thought was going through the minds of everyone who had left with Kurt that afternoon. When hed given the news to Margali hed expected her to be angry with him, but instead she nodded her head and shut the door to her trailer behind her as though she already knew, that she had been expecting this all along.

Though he had already covered his area of the map at least four times, but Wolfgang got up to start again. He didnt know what else to do and he was starting to worry that perhaps Kurt wasnt there to be found at all, that hed been taken somewhere. Wolfgang had heard rumors in America about mutants being kidnapped and experimented on, even used as weapons. It sounded like urban myths to him. Nobody could tell the mutants apart so long as they didnt do anything unusual, they looked the same as everybody else. Or most of them did. He jumped up on to the bench and looked around as though maybe the height would give him some advantage.

"Kurt! Kurt Wagner!" He cupped his hands around his mouth to make his voice louder.

Nothing.

Wolfgang stepped down and was suddenly overcome with the desire to walk to the edge of the pier. It was the first place they had searched after Lars had found the jacket. There was no sign of Kurt there though; there was no need to look again. And yet he was pulled there, almost against his will.

Standing at the edge of the pier Wolfgang looked around him. Nothing. Why had he come here? He started walking back towards the concession area and stopped. He couldnt put his finger on it, but walking away from the pier was uncomfortable. Curious, Wolfgang walked back. It was better. Shining his flashlight around him, Wolfgang walked down the pier towards the beach. The closer he got to the beach, the more the cold uncomfortable feeling grew. If he walked back towards the pier, it went away. It was the strangest thing.

Suddenly Wolfgang understood. He didnt know how it was happening or how he knew this, but it was showing him where Kurt was. He was more systematic this time. He moved in a careful pattern, changing direction each time warmth was replaced with chill. Soon he was walking in a tight circle about halfway between the pier and the beach. But there was nothing there, Kurt wasnt there, nor was there anywhere that he could have hidden.

Wolfgang sighed. It had been wishful thinking. It was amazing how strong the power of suggestion was. He had wanted it to be true so badly that he almost believed he had become Kurts personal divining rod. He stared down at his feet, shining the flashlight on the weathered boardwalk. With the light, he could almost see between the boards to the beach below. Wolfgangs eyes opened wide. Below him. Could it be?

He dropped to his knees and tried to look between the cracks in the wood but it was impossible. He went to the edge of the railing and looked over, trying to crane his neck to see underneath the boardwalk, but it was too far down and too dark. Ignoring the cold prickly feeling that came with leaving the spot, he jogged to the end of the boardwalk and around it onto the beach. Once on the sand he waved the beam of his flashlight around and called Kurts name. There was no answer and no sign of Kurt.

Slowing his pace, Wolfgang waited until he felt the cold discomfort fading from his limbs. It was working. He called Kurts name again, still walking forward. He stopped and looked up, trying to gage if he was beneath the spot on the boardwalk where he had been sure Kurt was. A few more steps forward and he was there. Wolfgang turned and looked into the blackness under the boardwalk, the light from the lamps above hardly penetrated the forest of pylons that supported the pier. Wolfgang took a deep breath and holding his flashlight out in front of him, plunged into the darkness.

Even with the flashlight it was nearly impossible to see. He had to put a hand out in front of him to keep from bumping into things. Wolfgang took several slow steps deeper into the shadows. Suddenly the ground dropped out from under him and he landed in freezing cold water nearly up to his knees. He gasped as the icy water instantly chilled his body to the bone. The light showed that he was in a shallow culvert, maybe three feet wide and not more than two feet deep. Still following his instinct, he waded forward back towards the beach, trying to ignore the freezing water as he did so. Its level was dropping and Wolfgang realized that the ditch was meant to divert seawater away from the pylons as the tides came in and out, preventing them from being undermined.

Wolfgang shined the flashlight down the length of the ditch and felt his blood run cold. Partially submerged in the icy water, was Kurt. He was lying on his side with his back against the side of the culvert. Ignoring the resistance of the water against his legs, Wolfgang pushed forward. He knelt down beside Kurt, shining the flashlight into his face. Kurt didnt respond and for a sickening moment Wolfgang thought his friend was dead. But then a particularly powerful wave sloshed briny water into Kurts nose and mouth and he started coughing. The feeling of relief was so intense that Wolfgang thought he was going to faint, but it passed as he leaned down to lift Kurts head out of the water before another wave came and suffocated him.

It was too difficult to see what was going on in the ditch; he couldnt hold the flashlight and keep Kurt out of the water at the same time. Wolfgang put the flashlight on the sand above the culvert and dragged Kurt out of the ditch. He shook Kurt by the shoulder, but Kurt stayed silent, his eyes closed. Even in the dark he could see the dried blood clinging to the soft fur on Kurts face and in his matted hair. A few of the cuts still oozed, unable to clot in the salty water. How long had Kurt been lying there? Wolfgang didnt want to think about it. He shook Kurt by the shoulders again.

"Cmon. Wake up. Kurt, youre scaring me." He said.

Wolfgang was torn. Should he leave Kurt there and go for help? What if he couldnt find him again? He wasnt even sure how he had managed to find Kurt this time. Then again, he wasnt doing much good down here all alone. Wolfgangs answer came in the form of Amandas voice above him. Leaving Kurt and the flashlight behind, he dashed out onto the sand and into the light cast from above. He called Amandas name and he could see her looking from side to side.

"Below you." Wolfgang called up. Amanda came to the edge and looked down over the railing.

"Its Wolfgang." He yelled. "I found Kurt. You need to find Terry. Tell him we need a doctor."

"Is Kurt okay?" Amanda asked.

"No, its bad. He needs a doctor. Hurry."

Amanda shook her head. "Im coming down there." She said and started towards the far end where the boardwalk met the beach. Wolfgang jogged along, following her progress from below.

"No, Amanda, listen. Find Terry. Its important." Wolfgang said.

Amanda stopped.

"Please hurry." Wolfgang said. "And get some blankets."

Above him he could see Amanda looked torn, but she seemed to come to a decision and took off running in the opposite direction.

Wolfgang went back to the edge of the culvert and holding the flashlight in his teeth, he dragged Kurt out to where the streetlamps lining the railing cast a dim glow onto the sand. Wolfgang took off his jacket and wrapped it around Kurt in a futile attempt to make him warmer. Then there was nothing to do but wait. Wolfgang had never felt so powerless in his life.

Even though it seemed that time had stopped, a glance at his watch told Wolfgang only a few minutes had passed. Two figures were jogging towards him. When they got closer he recognized Sven and Christian.

"These are the only blankets we could find on the grounds. Lars is going to get more. Oh my god." Sven said. He dropped the blankets down beside Kurt. "What happened to him?"

Wolfgang unfolded one of the thin wool blankets and Sven helped him slide it under Kurts still form. "I dont know." Wolfgang said, "I cant wake him up."

Christian leaned down and shook Kurt by the shoulders. "Hey Kurt. Wake up. Wachen Sie auf. Nicht mehr Spiele jetzt." He shouted. When there was no response he looked at Wolfgang hopelessly.

"I thought Christian could help." Sven said.

"You have medical training?" Wolfgang asked.

Christian shook his head. "No, but when youve spent as much time at skate parks as I have, you see a lot of injuries. Is this how you found him?"

Wolfgang shook his head. "He was back under there, lying in a ditch." He said pointing into the darkness beneath the pier.

"Wow. How did you find him in there?" Christian asked.

"His hands are like ice." Sven interrupted. "Do you think its hypothermia?"

"How the hell should I know?" Christian shot back. "No one ever got hypothermia at a skate park."

"Wait," Wolfgang held up his hands, feeling calmer than he should have. "This wont help. Christian, what should we do?"

"You shouldnt have moved him, but I guess its too late for that. Why is he all wet?"

"He was in the water and it was nearly covering his face. What was I supposed to do?" Wolfgang asked.

"Wait for an ambulance. They have special equipment for this kind of thing." Christian said.

Now it was Wolfgangs turn to lose his temper. "An ambulance! What ambulance? There isnt going to be an ambulance. We cant take Kurt to a hospital. Is that the extent of your medical knowledge? Call an ambulance?"

Christian faltered. "Well, I…"

"He really is cold." Sven interrupted again. He pressed a large hand against Kurts cheek. "Maybe we should get him inside where its warm and then talk about this."

Wolfgang ran his hands through his hair. "Okay, yeah. Well take him back to our trailer on the grounds; its the closest."

Lars caught up with them as they neared the grounds. He was carrying the blankets from Kurts bed. "Amanda told me where to find you." He said as he followed them into their office trailer. Sven laid Kurt on the floor and took the blankets from Lars.

"Where is Amanda?" Wolfgang asked.

"We went to get the blankets and when we got there, Margali was passed out on the floor." Lars said. He knelt down on the floor beside Wolfgang. "Im really sorry Kurt. I didnt know…"

"Its okay." Wolfgang said. "Is Margali all right?"

"I dont know." Lars said, "Amanda said she would stay with her. She asked me to ask if you would look after Kurt."

"Of course I will." Wolfgang said as he and Christian pulled off Kurts wet clothes. "When your family decides to have a crisis," he said to Kurt, "you guys dont mess around do you?"

Even with his wet clothes gone and wrapped in several dry blankets Kurt was shivering.

"Is there any heat in this box?" Wolfgang asked.

Obediently, Lars and Christian started searching the walls, peeking behind the tapestries and posters.

"Just tear them down!" Wolfgang shouted. In response the two of them began pulling the tapestries from their hooks, leaving them piled on the floor amidst the shreds of Wolfgangs posters.

"Crank it." Christian said, when Lars pulled down one of the hangings to reveal a small forced air heater. "Turn it all the way up." He prompted at Lars look of confusion. Lars obliged, spinning the dial into the red.

The temperature was already rising in the small space.

"You sent Terry for a doctor?" Wolfgang asked Lars who nodded quickly. Wolfgang looked around the room, that strange powerless feeling filling him again. "What do we do now?" He asked.

Christian pointed at Kurts right arm, which was swollen and oddly deformed. " I could try and splint his arm." He said, already looking around for something to use. "Theres no blood so it might not be that bad."

"Yeah. Thats a good idea." Said Wolfgang. Christian knelt beside Kurt and inspected the damage. Lars and Sven stood a few feet away, watching. Sven put his arm around his young cousin who was bravely trying to hold back tears and said something comforting in Swedish.

"I remember seeing paramedics use a folded blanket as a splint once." Christian said. He took one of the extra blankets that Sven had brought down to the beach with him. "Im going to like, straighten it and then wrap this around it. You hold above his elbow to keep it from bending." Christian said to Wolfgang and then carefully lifted Kurts arm, trying to realign it so that awful deformity was straight again. He gave a tentative pull and Kurt seemed to come alive instantly, arching his back and howling. It was so inhuman, so primal that Christian let go and everybody jumped back a foot or two in surprise.

"Whoa. Im not going to try that again." Christian said.

"Good idea." Wolfgang agreed, catching his breath. He looked down at Kurt. "Oh, hello."

Kurt had his eyes opened and was gazing, unfocused, around the room. He coughed and then asked, "Azazel", his voice so weak that it was barely a croak.

"What did you call me?" Wolfgang asked.

Kurt turned to look at Wolfgang and a slow recognition crossed his features. "Wolfgang." He tried to take a deep breath but he winced in pain.

"Is everyone all right? Kurt asked.

Wolfgang gave a short laugh. "Were all fine." He said. "How about you?"

Kurt tried to sit up but was gently restrained by Sven. "It hurts," he said as he dropped back down to the floor. "My arm hurts."

"I wish there was something we could do." Sven said.

"Actually, he could use some clean dry clothes. Can you and Lars go back to his trailer for that?" Wolfgang directed, instantly feeling better now that Kurt was awake and talking. "and Christian, maybe you could wait out side for the doctor in case Terry hasnt given him all the details." The trailer quickly emptied, leaving Kurt and Wolfgang alone.

Kurt rolled over on his side, pressing his wet hair against Wolfgangs knee. "My Rosary. I need my rosary," he said. "It hurts so much."

"Well get it for you Elf." Wolfgang said, brushing the damp curls away from Kurts eyes. "Im going to take care of you. Youre going to be fine."
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

:cry No joke. This last update made me cry so much, my eyes are so puffy, not to mention the mascara that is burning my eyes. It made me want to help, only to realize it is only a story and I have no control over what is written. *wipes eyes*

You are truely a remarkable woman, Emily. This is a beautiful story, that pulls at every emotion possible. Never stop writing. Never stop sewing, you will go places.:*) Look at me you still have me crying!
one name: Bruce Campbell
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Oh, gosh. Poor Kurt! He's stronger than Belasco Kurt, that's for sure. Belasco Kurt gave in to the demon's offer. This Kurt stayed firm. Good for him! He's a fighter! :engarde

Interesting... You're putting in the mysterious Winding Way Margali magic. Cool! Is she going to be a green demon-lady with horns in your story like she is in the comics? :margali

This story just keeps getting better and I'm not just saying that. It's awesome! I can't wait for the next installment! :D

:bamf
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Great as usual. I can't imagine how Kurt must feel after going through all that, both physically and emotionally. That arm's gotta *hurt*. I'm starting to have some suspicions about the origin of his scars, I must say. Can't wait to see if I'm anywhere near what you've come up with. Hope you're still doing well and I can't wait for the next instalment.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm glad everyone's still enjoying it. I'm really enjoying writing it. I write it in my head while I'm sewing/working and then when I'm taking a break, sit for a few minutes and type. It's amazing how even with an outline, things just sort of grow. (For instance, 2 lines of text in the outline have required like five separate stories to convey all the ideas.) But, I feel like I'm sort of hitting my stride. I was a little hesitant at first not having written much before and now I feel a lot more confident, particularly with taking risks. I have you guys and your encouragement to thank.

I really wanted to have Margali as a more magical being but always chickened out before. But, as I wrote I tweaked the outline and when I saw a way to include it, I took it. Even if it meant torturing poor Kurt.

I also took another risk. I'm not a big fan of medical stuff in fan fic, particularly the copious use of jargon. It starts to sound like an episode of ER and the medicine is so fake on ER that it drives me nuts. (They always defibullate asystole. Asystole is dead. Those paddles are cool and all, but you can't resurrect people with them.)

But, when I tweaked the outline to follow the path the story is currently on I realized, I would now have to include a doctor and therefore, medicine. I actually made these tweaks months ago in April. To give myself something interesting to do while waiting to see if I got into vet school last semester, I enrolled in paramedic school. I am now a licensed paramedic which is kind of cool; something I'd always wanted to do but the laws were different in Washington so I couldn't.

While in paramedic school I got the opportunity to do a 24 hour ride along on a Chicago Fire Department ambulance. It was an incredible day. The crew was wonderful to me and I am forever in the CFD's debt for providing me with an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. While at the fire house I got to thinking, what if you had a person who *couldn't* go to the hospital? What would you do? It was interesting enough to me that I decided to put it in the story.

I tried very hard not to go over board with medical jargon, but it's not easy. So, if at any point this starts to sound like ER, you have my permission to render me unconscious. :)

Thanks again.
-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Dr. Mallory

Post by Saint Kurt »

"He doesnt bite or anything, does he?"

It was the ringing of the telephone that woke Geoff Mallory up. He switched on his bedside lamp and nudged his partner.

"Im not on call." He said, "Are you on call?"

Paul mumbled something that sounded like "no" and nestled deeper into his blankets. Geoff fumbled the phone from the cradle.

"Hello?" He croaked. It was Terry; he sounded frantic and apologetic at the same time.

Geoff was up, dressed, and behind the wheel of his car before he was fully awake. He was driving towards the Brighton Festival grounds where a circus acrobat had fallen. He wasnt sure why Terry had called him and not an ambulance, but Terry was a mate and so Geoff didnt question it. There were some things you didnt question, a friend as old as Terry was one of them.

Geoff pulled up near the location Terry had given him, a trailer in the circus festivals administrative compound. Terry had been working for the Brighton Festival since Geoff had moved there. This was actually the second time that Terry had called him out to the grounds for some special purpose.

He would have expected a tent rather than a trailer, but this whole thing was a bit dodgy to begin with and Geoff was beginning to get a picture in his mind. No doubt some performer had gotten himself into some sort of embarrassing trouble, some sort of sexual embarrassing trouble. On the few occasions his friends had called on him for "special favors" as a doctor, it inevitably ended up this way, the kind of scenario that was simply too absurd to explain to a stuffy trauma doctor even in a place as liberated as Brighton. He and Paul would laugh about it later; the two of them had a collection of such stories after 10 years as both doctors and lovers.

Geoff followed the American, Christian he thought his name was, who had met him at his car, through the maze of trailers. He could only catch bits and pieces of what Christian was saying; he spoke quickly and in the kind of American patter that was as impenetrable as the working class banter one heard in British pubs.

"We brought him in here." Christian said outside of a trailer with the words "Circus Gehlhaar" painted on it in flowing script. "Youre not really religious are you?" Christian asked as he opened the door.

"What? I… No. Im…" Dr. Geoff Mallory stepped through the door and stopped, his mouth open. He wasnt sure what he was looking at. A costume? A man? Both?

"Is… Is this my patient?" He stammered.

A second man with dark hair and keen dark eyes, kneeling on the floor, looked up. "Christian did you tell him nothing?" He said sternly. He turned to the doctor "Yes. This is Kurt. Hes an acrobat with our show."

At first Geoff thought that he was American as well, that perhaps this was an American circus. "Im Dr. Geoff Mallory," he said.

"Wolfgang Wagner. I manage Circus Gehlhaar." With a name like that Geoff was fairly certain the dark haired man was not an American; he pronounced the Ws as Vs like a European.

For the first time his patient stirred, moaning and trying to shift his position. Geoff knelt down next to Wolfgang. "Is he?" But Geoff didnt know what to ask. "Is he real?" is what he wanted to say but that didnt make any sense.

"Hes a mutant." Wolfgang said quickly, as though it was an uncomfortable subject and he wanted to get it out of the way as quickly as possible. "Kurt was born like this. But, hes just like anyone of us. Hes our star acrobat. He was missing nearly all day. I think he fell off the boardwalk. No one knows what happened."

Geoff nodded, situating himself at Kurts side. Mutants had been covered in his medical school curriculum for exactly two weeks. The instruction had not been part of anatomy or physiology, but rather part of a trauma medicine ethics class and had consisted entirely of instruction on ways trauma physicians could physically and legally protect themselves should a mutant come into their care. There had been a few pictures, some short descriptions; they never mentioned anyone looking like Kurt. There was no mention of any actual treatment.

He pulled a few items from his bag. Geoff shined his small penlight over Kurts skin. He could see bruises and cuts on his face and hands; "defense wounds" something in the back of his mind told him, but it was hard to get past the sharp teeth and thick, clawed fingers. What could he possibly have needed to defend himself against? The eyes were a menacing yellow under half-mast lids. He reached out towards his patient tentatively when Kurt spoke. It sounded like nonsense.

"Nine bitters of what?" Geoff asked, repeating all that he had understood.

"Its German. He said, No, please dont hurt me." Wolfgang said.

Geoff gave smile. Funny, he had been thinking the exact same thing. "Tell him I wont." He said. He went to move closer and then paused. "He doesnt bite or anything, does he?" Geoff asked. A glance around the room told Geoff he had said the wrong thing.

"Of course not." Wolfgang said in undisguised disgust. "And he speaks English as well as you or I."

"Sorry." Geoff said sheepishly. He put the penlight down and reached out a gloved finger towards the cut on Kurts cheek that seemed to be bleeding the worst.

There was no warning. One minute Kurt had looked docile, half asleep and the next moment he was up, baring his teeth and planting his sturdy feet against Dr. Mallorys chest. He kicked him across the room.

Geoff hit the opposite wall of the trailer with a crash. He sat unmoving, trying to catch his breath, wondering if they had called the right kind of doctor. Maybe what Kurt needed was a veterinary surgeon, not someone like him. He was a doctor to humans, not to, well, whatever it was that Kurt was.

"Im so sorry." Wolfgang was at his side, trying to brush him off. "I cant believe he did that." Geoff nodded and climbed to his feet. He couldnt believe it either. At the other end of the room the young American who had walked him here was delivering a lecture in rapid German.

"Really Christian. Thats unnecessary." Wolfgang snapped. He turned back to Dr. Mallory. "He said that if he tries that again, the next person to get kicked will be Kurt." Wolfgang shook his head. "Im really sorry. I… Hes so confused. Thats not what hes like. We really need your help. Please."

Dr Mallory looked down at his patient, still shivering, and wrapped in blankets; he looked innocent enough now. Geoff was about to say "no" when the trailer door swung open. Another boy of obvious European descent barged in.

"I got it." Lars said. He knelt down next to Kurt and pressed something into Kurts hand, the pair exchanging a few words in German. When Lars stepped back Geoff could see that what Kurt was holding tightly in his good hand was a string of rosary beads.

Geoff wasnt sure why that changed his mind. He wasnt particularly religious so that wasnt it. And Kurt honestly wasnt any less scary with rosary beads than he was without, so what was not it either. Geoff knelt down at Kurts side again and realized that it was because the only one in the room who saw Kurt as an "it" or "thing" was him. Everyone else was his friend; they were worried about him. People didnt worry about monsters like that.

"He speaks English right?" Dr. Mallory asked again. Wolfgang nodded and sat back down next to him.

"Kurt, hey, Kurt." Dr. Mallory finally got Kurts attention by snapping his fingers until he slowly turned his way, staring at him with unfocused yellow eyes. "Im a doctor. You know what a doctor is right?"

Kurt nodded. "Ja. Doktor." He said.

"I need to make sure youre all right, but I need to touch you to do that. Is that okay? Im not going to do anything thats going to hurt. I just dont want to you kick me again."

Kurt glanced over at Wolfgang who nodded encouragingly, and responded in German.

"I dont get it." Wolfgang said. "He speaks English. I dont know why he keeps answering in German. But, he said its okay, hes sorry."

Starting at Kurts head, Geoff slowly traced his hands down the length of Kurts body. Kurt remained still this time. When Geoffs hands stopped shaking it began to feel like a normal exam. Kurt was every inch an athlete, beneath skin that was covered with a light peach fuzz of deep blue fur, Geoff could feel taut perfectly developed muscles; like examining a medical school mannequin. There were a lot of cuts and bruises and when he drew his hands along the sides of Kurts ribs there was the familiar grinding of crepitis, the sound of broken bones scraping against each other. His right arm was obviously broken so he left it alone; there was no reason to risk another trip across the room.

Meanwhile Geoff asked questions, most of which were answered by Wolfgang and a few by the boy, Lars. It seemed the only thing they knew for sure was that Kurt must have fallen or jumped from the top of the boardwalk to the sand below. How or why he had done it was still a mystery. It was great enough distance, that acrobat or not, Dr. Mallory was worried about what injuries he couldnt see. Falls like that nearly always meant internal injuries.

Kurt was even less help; he didnt know where he was, what had happened, or how he had gotten there. He answered Dr. Mallorys questions in confused German that even Wolfgang was having trouble translating.

"How about your arm? Do you remember hurting your arm?" Dr. Mallory asked as he and Wolfgang dressed Kurt in the dry clothes Lars had brought.

"What did this happen? Did I teleport here?" Kurt asked, suddenly alert and speaking in English for the first time.

Wolfgang gave a startled nervous laugh. "Dont be silly." He said. He gave Dr. Mallory an apologetic look, as though to say "dont people with head injuries say the funniest things". "Sven carried you here. Remember?" he said.

At Dr. Mallorys request they had cleared out the trailer so it was just the three of them. Lars made the most fuss about leaving and Sven nearly had to carry him out. Christian too was reluctant to leave, but promised to keep everyone outside posted and check back in the morning.

Geoff ran his hands down the length of Kurts tail. "Do you have full control of it?" He asked.

Again looking somewhat dazed, Kurt gave a crooked smile, "Of course. Its mine. Wolfgang. Tell him." Kurt said, taking longer and longer pauses between each phrase. He slowly let his eyes close.

"Hey, are you okay? Kurt?" Dr. Mallory tapped Kurts shoulder.

"Its… Pre…Hen…Sile." Kurt said, the last syllable trailing off.

"Hey, Elf, stay awake." Wolfgang said. Kurts response was to let the rosary slowly slip from his fingers.

Dr. Mallory tapped Kurt on the shoulder again but there was no response.

"Whats going on?" Wolfgang asked. "Why did he stop talking? He was okay before."

Geoff sat up straighter, moving much quicker. He didnt like talking patients suddenly going silent either. He rubbed the knuckles of his hand hard on Kurts chest, but there was no response.

"Whats going on?" Wolfgang repeated, watching Dr. Mallory listening through his stethoscope. He suddenly felt like things were going in slow motion, he wanted something to happen fast, anything, anything that would make Kurt open his eyes and start talking again.

"Can you carry him?" Geoff asked.

Wolfgang just stared at him, unable to move or think.

"Pick him up. We have to take him to my car." Dr. Mallory said. "Wolfgang!"

Wolfgang jumped at the sound of his name. "Is he going to be alright?"

"We have to go to my clinic. I cant do anything for him here anyway." He said. "Can you carry him?"

Wolfgang nodded numbly and gathered Kurt into his arms. "Just tell me where to take him." He said.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

As you requested, Zam....

Sorry, I couldn't get it into a smaller size so I just got it from my small, pathetic site.

Hope Y'all like the pic, it was made specifically with this story in mind.:D:kiss

Ih ih:(*whines* Very sad, and moving. Poor Kurtie needs hugs.
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by taekwondodo »

Damn. That was wonderful. Poor wee elf. I'm going to have a heck of a time waiting for the next chapter.:(

I don't think you went overboard at all with the medical terminology. It was enough to sound like a doctor examining him but not too much. I'm sure the fact that you were conscious of potential problems pretty much eliminated them.
Maelstrom
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Maelstrom »

Damn, Zam! You're more prolific than I am! :D I salute the fact that you've been able to keep up such a good rate and high quality at the same time. I've had a case of writer's block on two pieces for the past several months, and only now have I gotten anywhere near past it.

And like TDK said: no jargon overload there. Believe it or not, I was also going into medicine, then veterinary medicine, when I started college, so I've got a similar background and drive for medical realism. The hardest part always seems to be including realism without making your readers' eyes glaze over. (I'll never forget reading Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, in which he devoted an ENTIRE CHAPTER to dry genetic theory on whether a pair of siblings could safely have a baby! :yech )

But when I read through some of the more "technical" fiction, especially Michael Crichton's works, I find that there's a pretty wide margin of error. As long as you actually explain the important parts one way or another, the reader can generally keep up. For instance, Andromeda Strain was a big enough hit that they made it into a movie, and it's chock-full of medical and scientific terminology that the layman wouldn't understand at first glance.
Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into the intake of a jet engine..... :evil
stocktonwood
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stocktonwood »

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wow this story is amazing! Bravo! Also I'm happy to hear that you are out of the hospital, please feel better.
"when I find myself in times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be.." The Beatles

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Thanks.

I agree about technical details when they are used to tell the story Maelstrom. With Crichton they always are used to further the plot. He's one of the best at doing that. In the beginning I included a lot of technical details about circus performance and life for that reason. In this case though I was worried about a foray into medical jargon taking away from that.

And it's still possible since it's not over. Believe it or not this was not written in the hospital, but a week or so before. (remember I usually have about 5 or 6 stories being written at the same time and I kind of add to them a little bit at a time.)

Anyway, I've gone and gotten myself admitted to veterinary medical school and all so my brief but entertaining foray into living as student/seamstress/artist is almost at an end. I have to go look at apartments at school today. And I just wrote nearly a $1000 worth of checks for books and supplies. :o Krikey!

But I thought I'd post something really quick before I got going.

thanks for the feedback.
-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Traumatic Incident No 3

Post by Saint Kurt »

"No one belongs here. Only people who are hurt or sick come here because they need help. Right now, thats you. Let him help you."

They ran through the maze of trailers, Geoff picking his way through from his vague memory of following Christian. He was surprised when his little white Honda came into view. Wolfgang climbed into the back set, pulling Kurt in with him. Geoff spent a moment arranging Kurt so that he was lying on his side and then hopped in the drivers seat.

It was a bumpy ride over the gravel and cobblestones as they drove away from the old part of the city. Wolfgang stared ahead miserably, trying to brace himself with his hands and knees to keep Kurt from bouncing around too much. He couldnt believe this was happening. It was like a nightmare coming true and the absence of either Margali or Amanda made it worse. Anything that happened to Kurt was now his responsibility. He would either return from this night a hero or a villain depending on Kurts survival. The irony that hed spent his life dodging responsibility only to have his heaped upon him in greater and greater quantities was almost painful.

"I just realized weve done this backwards." Said Dr. Mallory from the front seat.

"Oh?" Wolfgang said, trying to keep Kurts head steady as the car hit pothole.

"I should be back there with him. You should be driving. Its too late now. Can you tell me if hes breathing?"

Wolfgang fought the urge to panic. Medical stuff scared the crap out of him. He hated visiting the doctor, couldnt deal with hospitals, he couldnt even watch those medical shows on TV. "How will I know?" He blurted out.

Geoff was a little surprised by such an obvious question. "Is his chest rising and falling?" He asked.

Still fighting the urge to break down into a useless panic attack Wolfgang realized that, yes, Kurt was breathing.

"Now check his pulse. On his neck."

Wolfgang put his hand on Kurts neck. Nothing. "I dont think he has one." He shouted.

"Relax. Right here." Geoff held two fingers in the groove along side of the trachea where the carotid artery lay. Wolfgang followed his example and breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hes got a pulse too." He said.

"Perfect. Good job. If any of that changes, you let me know." Dr. Mallory said. Clearly, as an assistant Wolfgang was going to be less than useless, but he would figure out a way to make it work.

Wolfgang nodded, his fingers still pressed against Kurts neck.

It seemed a small eternity before Dr. Mallory pulled up to a white two story building. He climbed out and opened the back door.

"This is my clinic. We have most of the equipment a small trauma room has. I can help him here. Follow me." Said Dr. Mallory, pulling out a set of keys and going to the door.

Wolfgang pulled Kurt in his arms again and followed the doctor through another maze; this time it was clean white hallways instead of trailers.

"In here," Dr. Mallory led them into a dimly lit room with a large X-Ray machine in the center. He gestured for Wolfgang to lay Kurt on the table.

"Ill tell you this right now," Geoff said as he gathered various cartridges of x-ray film, "if that break in his arm is anything unusual, Im going to have to refer you to an orthopedic specialist." He held up his hand at Wolfgangs protests, "Its because of what he does. If I reset the bones wrong, it ends his career."

"This needs to stay as quiet as possible. If his medical records get out…" Wolfgang started to explain.

"I know." Dr. Mallory said. "Trust me. Ive heard the same rumors you have. Youre worried that if someone with the wrong intentions finds out about your friend, you may never see him again. But I took an oath too. I wont cost a person his livelihood. Lets see what the x-rays say and then continue this conversation."

Wolfgang nodded. "What do you want me to do?" He asked. Beside him Kurt stirred, threatening to roll off the table. Wolfgang put his hands on Kurts shoulders to keep him in place.

Geoff looked at Kurts hands. He had never seen anything like them before. He was going to have x-ray both his arms. He needed to know what things were supposed to look like before he could even try to fix what was wrong.

"Just keep him still." He said to Wolfgang. Geoff carefully laid Kurts hand on the cartridge. It had been a while since hed taken an x-ray actually. There were so many things one learned in medical school that became the responsibility of nurses and technicians after graduation. Taking a moment to re-read the controls, Geoff unlocked the unit and turned on the focusing lamp, letting it shine a cross haired window of light down onto the plate below.

"Wolfgang?" Kurt slowly opened his eyes.

Dr. Mallory was being so quiet and serious that Wolfgang suppressed his desire to jump up and down at the sound of Kurts voice. "Hey Elf, welcome back," he whispered.

"Where is this? What are we doing?" Kurt asked in German. "What is that machine?" He asked, his eyes becoming wide and sounding more frantic by the second.

"Its okay Kurt, its like a camera." Wolfgang said.

Kurt shook his head. "I dont like this." He said. He sat up, scooting himself backwards away from where Dr. Mallory was still fiddling with the controls. Wolfgang tried to stop him.

"It wont hurt. You wont feel it." Wolfgang said. "Its a camera."

Kurt shook his head. "No. This isnt right. Wolfgang, lets get out of here."

Wolfgang tried to hold Kurt on the table, all the while telling him he would be fine, but Kurt only struggled harder. Dr. Mallory stopped working and watched. He couldnt understand the conversation, but it didnt sound good.

"Just tell him it will be okay." He told Wolfgang. Wolfgang was having a hard time keeping Kurt still; he didnt want to injure him any more than he already was, but Kurt was fighting him with everything he had.

"Im trying." Wolfgang said. "Kurt, relax. I wont let anyone hurt you. Just…" And suddenly Wolfgang was grasping at thin air, tendrils of dark sulfury smoke drifting away from the spot where Kurt had been. "Damn it!" He shouted. Wolfgang turned to look at Dr. Mallory who was staring at him wide eyed.

"Did. Did he? Did he just?" The doctor stammered.

"Yeah." Wolfgang said, running his hands through his hair, "he can do that."

"Did he disappear?" Dr. Mallory asked, looking around the room.

"He teleports. He could be anywhere now." Wolfgang said in dismay. He sighed. "Ill go look for him." But when Wolfgang opened the door, he saw he wasnt going to have to look very far.

Kurt was lying on the floor, halfway down the hallway. He must have simply teleported to the other side of the door and then tried to run but was too exhausted to go on. Wolfgang knelt at Kurts side. He was expecting Kurt to be unconscious so he was surprised to see him awake and staring at the ceiling.

"What are you trying to do to yourself?" Wolfgang asked him.

"Home." Said Kurt weakly. "Lets go home. I dont belong here."

Wolfgang laughed. "No one belongs here." He said. "Only people who are hurt or sick come here because they need help. Right now, thats you. Let him help you."

"No. This is all wrong." Kurt insisted. "What are all these machines? I cant stand this."

"I know. But Im here. I promise I wont let anything bad happen to you." Wolfgang said. He heard footsteps and the squeak of wheels. Wolfgang looked up to see Dr. Mallory standing behind him with a small, wheeled cart.

"Everything alright?" He asked.

"I think so. Sort of." Said Wolfgang.

"I think we need to take a different approach." Dr. Mallory said. Hed brought Kurt into the x-ray room first because it was the most efficient, but he should have remembered that Kurt had said hed never seen a doctor before, let alone an x-ray machine. Hed been terrified. Geoffs rotation in pediatrics had been years ago, but the clinic was a family clinic so he saw kids everyday. Kurt may have looked older, but he was going to have to treat him like a "peds" case if he was going to get anywhere. That meant going slow and explaining everything. And when that failed, drugs.

Geoff pulled a few folded blankets from the cart and knelt down next to Kurt who shied away. "Lift up his head." He told Wolfgang. Wolfgang did and the doctor slid the folded blankets under Kurts head for a pillow. "Better?" He asked.

Kurt nodded his head, still looking miserable.

Dr. Mallory pulled a few more items from the cart and arranged them on the floor. He set a small green oxygen cylinder near Kurts head and held out the tubing for Kurt to look at. "Its just air." He said. "See?" Geoff demonstrated how a nasal canula worked, holding the tube under his nose and sniffing. "What to give it a try?" He asked.

Kurt glanced over at Wolfgang, who gave an encouraging nod, and agreed to let Dr. Mallory slip the tubes over his ears so the canula rested under his nose.

"Not so bad right?" Geoff asked. Kurt shook his head. "Okay, Im going to do something thats going to hurt, but only for a second and then youll feel better."

"Nein". Kurt shook his head.

"Let him help you." Wolfgang said. "Sometimes things hurt before they get better right?" Kurt nodded. "And look." Wolfgang said. He pulled out the rosary Kurt had dropped on the floor back in the trailer. "Ill hold it for you until hes done. Then you can have it back."

Defeated, Kurt acquiesced.

Dr. Mallory laid out the rest of his things and then looked at Kurts good hand. He wasnt sure how he was going to do this. As a medical student he had started dozens of IV lines on all kinds of people. But that had been years ago, now it was the nurses who did that. He hadnt started a line in at least two years. And then there was Kurts coloring; it made it impossible to see his veins. This wasnt even taking into account the fur. He put a tourniquet around Kurts arm and watched.

There was a good vein in Kurts hand that he could use; at least he hoped it was a vein. Geoff had only now considered that perhaps Kurts differences went beyond his appearance, perhaps they were physiological as well. For all he knew, Kurts blood could run backwards. He was just going to have to take it as an article of faith that Kurt really was "just like anyone else" as Wolfgang had told him.

He cleaned the site and held the catheter and stylet poised above it. It was a little nerve racking starting an IV on a patient who had already kicked him across the room once and had recently proven he could disappear.

"Keep a good hold on his arm." Geoff told Wolfgang. Wolfgang nodded and Geoff was worried that he looked like the fainting type. He didnt have much faith in him anyway; hed never met anyone who couldnt tell whether a person was breathing or not.

"Ready Kurt?" He asked. "Its going to pinch, but only for a second." Kurt nodded bravely and shut his eyes. It was up to him now and so Geoff took a deep breath. Poised above the vein he slowly slid the needle in, feeling Kurts whole body stiffen as he did. There was a string of what sound like German curse words, but Geoff stayed focused. There was a flash of blood in the chamber and he slid the stylet back to lock it in place. It was like he was on autopilot as Geoff taped the line in place and attached the inlet port. He realized hed been holding his breath the whole time and exhaled gratefully.

"Not so bad." He said cheerily. "Are you okay Kurt?"

Kurt shook his head; his eyes still squeezed shut.

"Then please let go of my ankle." Wolfgang said weakly. Geoff looked over and watched as Kurts tail slowly released the coiled hold he had on his friends ankle. He laughed, it had been Wolfgang cursing, not Kurt.

Geoff drew up a syringe of saline and locked it to the port in Kurts hand. "Okay, this isnt going to hurt, but its going to feel really weird, like water running into your arm."

Kurt nodded, his eyes still closed. Geoff depressed the plunger and watched the IV site for leakage, but it was perfect, not a bad job at all given all the pressure hed been under. He unscrewed the lock on the saline syringe and put it aside.

"Whats in my hand?" Kurt asked.

"You can look." Dr. Mallory said. He held up Kurts hand so he could see. Kurt opened his eyes, looked at his hand with a vague expression of horror and closed them again. Dr. Mallory picked up a second syringe, much smaller than the first.

"Okay, Im going to do that again, but this time youre going to start to feel sleepy. Thats okay. Thats what we want. Ready?"

Kurt nodded again and this time, as Geoff pushed the plunger he watched Kurt fighting to keep his eyes open and then slowly letting them close. Hed done it. Now, he could finally work.

He was surprised to see Kurt open his eyes again. "Wolfgang?" He asked groggily.

"Yeah Im right here. Oh yeah, I promised didnt I." Wolfgang carefully wrapped Kurts rosary around his left hand a few times.

"What did you give him?" Wolfgang asked.

"Morphine, and some valium." He said and then answering Wolfgangs murderous look, he said, "Im not afraid of him. I would have done the same thing for any patient who was that frightened and in that much pain. Theres no point in torturing him."

Geoff looked down at Kurt. He looked relaxed for the first time since hed seen him that evening, his breath coming in steady inhalations and exhalations. It was a much better impression than hed had earlier. He pulled the last items of the cart and set them before Wolfgang.

"This is sterile saline. Its the same stuff people use for their contact lenses." He said as he opened a liter bottle of clear liquid that looked like water and poured some into steel pan. He ripped open a paper package of 4 by 4 gauze pads and soaked some of them in the saline. "Use these to try and wipe some of the blood and yuck off of Kurts face. Hell feel and look a lot better. Use as much as you like and put the dirty ones in this pan here. Meanwhile Ill set the x-rays up." Geoff said.

Wolfgang did as Dr. Mallory asked. A lot of the blood on Kurts face was caked and matted into his fur. It took a lot of the saline to get it out, but it was working. Wolfgang had felt so completely out of control for so long that it was nice to have a job, something he could do, where he could see actual results. Kurt looked pretty out of it, but Wolfgang started talking to him anyway. It was better than talking to himself.

"This looks a lot better, Kurt. It really does." He said. "Hey Kurt."

Kurt slowly turned to look over at Wolfgang, his gaze unfocused.

"Earth calling, are you still with us?" Wolfgang said.

"Mmmmm."

"Im really sorry." Wolfgang said. "For this whole trip. The show. Everything."

"Why?"

Wolfgang was surprised to find his eyes tearing up. "Because I wrote it. Because it really happened to you and its exactly how I wrote it."

"Lars tried to kill me?" Kurt asked.

His voice was so slurred that it took Wolfgang a moment to figure out what he said and that it was supposed to be a joke. He meant to laugh, but started crying instead. He couldnt speak for a few minutes, but finally he composed himself. Kurt tried to hand him one of the gauze squares to wipe his eyes.

"If its really like the show," Kurt asked, "Do I get the girl in the end?"

Wolfgang laughed, finally getting it right. He wiped his nose on his sleeve. "Sure, which ever girl you want." His voice still shaking slightly, like he was about to start crying again.

Kurt smiled. "Amanda. I would pick Amanda." He said dreamily.

Wolfgang was silent. His sister? Had Kurt really meant to say that? He was thinking of how to respond when Geoff poked his head into the hallway.

"Okay, Ive got everything set up. Well take some pictures and then I can stitch that cut on your face." Dr. Mallory said.

"My face?" Wolfgang said. He put his hand to his cheek and it came away bloody.

"I think he got you with his tail." Geoff said. "Its okay."

He picked Kurt up and had Wolfgang carry the oxygen as they returned to the x-ray room. This time Kurt was much more cooperative. Dr. Mallory had all the pictures he needed within the few minutes and had Wolfgang carry Kurt into an exam room.

Wolfgang sat down in a chair. Kurt was curled up on his side on an exam table. He still had his rosary wrapped in the fingers of his left hand. It was midnight and Wolfgang could feel his eyes closing against their will, his head nodding forward before he jerked upright in an attempt to stay awake. It had to be almost over now. They had found Kurt, they had a doctor, and everything was going to be fine. He just had to stay awake a little longer.
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

Aaaawwww. I'm so happy Kurt was able to get some help.

Dang!! his tail must have been thrashing hard to cut Wolfgang's cheek.:eek:tail:bite
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

*breathes a sigh of relief*

Awwww, my blood pressure is going down now.... Just what I needed to read about at work to make me feel better! Kurty finding the ability to thuroghly put his wellbeing in Wolfgangs hands. Nice to know that we all have friends like that we can fall back on.

Zam my friend, keep it up, you have a good faithfull folllowing here. :)

NWKurt
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
~Enigma~ Le Roi Est Mort, Vive Le Roi! The Prism Of Life
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Ack! Shivers! You were very descriptive about that whole IV process. It brought back my own awful tonsils experience and now my hand feels all weird where the IV had been. Ick. Poor Kurt! He must have felt like he'd woken up on an alien planet with the white walls and the high-tech machinery and everything! I'm really glad he's getting the treatment he needs, though, and that his friend is there with him.

I have a hard time with doctor shows like ER--too much blood and gore and bonesawing....*shudder*--but my sister, who wants to be a nurse, absolutely eats them up so I know what you mean about the jargon. Your story has just enough to be realistic. It's very well handled and very well written! :D

Congratulations on getting admitted to Vet School! I hope your costume's coming along well!
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
RavEnigma
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by RavEnigma »

:clap Wow! I go away to bible camp for a week, and this is what happens! You are truly amazing, Zam! :bow Your descriptions were spectacular! And congrats on the Vet school! That's so cool! ^_^ I'm so glad everything is going so well!
:bunny Naz-Bunny Lover Club member #1

"God help the outcasts, or nobody will"

"That's not a cat, it's a minion of the antichrist!"

Pietro Fan Club Member #1
:evopietro = :love
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Hey, isnt this the veekend for Zam and the con that she is going to? We need to send more of those good vibes for her to bring back all the awards for her costume!!!

!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!

:DZam WE wish you the BEST:D

Then, of course, we also need more goodies from the amazing world of Circus Gehlhaar, Margali, Amanda, Lars, Wolfgang, and how could I forget the star.... Kurt!:oops

NWKurt
Let us try to live our lost illusions....They're the sun at night.....If we don't, we'll never taste.....The spice of life!
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~!!!!

Vibes for luck to Zam!!!:kiss
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Thanks for all the feedback and well wishes with the contest. I got back yesterday, and spent the morning going through my photos from the trip.

Nightcrawler has at long last ended my costume masquerade losing streak. I won best in my class (the highest award I could get) and a workmanship excellence award (which was all I was expecting). See the photos here.

And I even have more to post in this story.

-e
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Treatment

Post by Saint Kurt »

"Dont think I dont understand what Kurt goes through. Mutants arent the only target for discrimination and ridicule. Do you know what this place is?"

Geoff shook Wolfgang by the shoulder. He was curled up on the love seat in the waiting room, attempting fit his whole body onto the longest piece of furniture in the room even though was still inadequately short. Geoff watched him come awake slowly, like he had been dreaming and he wasnt sure if the interruption was real or not.

"Sorry, but I need your help again." Geoff said. He motioned for Wolfgang to follow him. Wolfgang rose and followed in silence.

"How old is Kurt?" Geoff asked after they entered his office. Geoff put a few of the x-rays up on the lighted wall viewer.

"He turned seventeen a few months ago. Why?" Wolfgang asked, covering his mouth and yawning. He looked at the images Dr. Mallory had hung: Kurts three fingered hands, one of the arms obviously broken, the other intact, and several views of his chest. Dr. Mallory pointed to the broken arm.

"Do you see how the bones arent totally broken, more like bent, like snapping a tree branch?" The doctor said, tracing along the two bones in Kurts forearm. He was right, Wolfgang had broken his arm once too, his x-rays had shown clean lines where the bones had fractured, not the jagged bending that Kurts did.

"Its called a greenstick fracture. Its common in very young children whose bones are still flexible. Its very rare for someone Kurts age to have a break like this. Ive never heard of it happening." Dr. Mallory continued. "The good news," he said, reading downcast the expression on Wolfgangs face "is that I can fix it and it will probably heal very quickly."

"So Kurts bones are flexible?" Wolfgang asked.

Dr. Mallory shook his head. "Not flexible as in elastic, just less brittle than a normal adult. It should have broken cleanly, but it didnt." He pointed to the other x-rays. "It could have just been luck. He broke several ribs and the fractures are more characteristic for someone his age."

"Can you fix those?" Wolfgang asked.

"Its not a matter of fixing, theyre all in place. Kurt just needs to keep still and let them heal."

"And his arm?"

"Ill make it straight again and then put a cast on it. Hell wear it for a month or so and then he should be fine. Its not as bad as it looks from the outside really. Like I said, hes lucky. Ill guess that in less than three months hell be performing again." Dr. Mallory said.

Wolfgang looked at the view of Kurts good arm.

"Ive never seen anything like it." Dr. Mallory said, echoing Wolfgangs thoughts. "I was expecting to see vestigial pieces of the two other fingers, or some other evidence of normal hand development. But Im afraid this is normal, even his wrists are slightly different to accommodate the changed anatomy. I suspect I would see the same kind of adaptations if I looked at his spine and his feet, maybe even elsewhere."

"What does that mean?" Wolfgang asked.

Dr. Mallory shrugged, but his expression remained serious. "I dont know. I thought mutants carried a single gene that expressed itself at puberty, but were otherwise normal genetically. But, Kurts anatomy represents massive genetic differences on a large scale."

"So, like, hes not really a mutant then?" Wolfgang asked.

"I dont know if the term has a real definition." Dr. Mallory said, "People could spend years studying him and maybe never figure it out."

"But they wont right?" Wolfgang said, his voice turning menacing.

Dr. Mallory shook his head. "No. Ill give you these x-rays, everything. There will be no record Kurt was ever here other than my memory."

"And that?" Wolfgang prompted.

"Will stay secret." Dr. Mallory finished. "Dont think I dont understand what Kurt goes through. Mutants arent the only target for discrimination and ridicule. Do you know what this place is?"

Wolfgang shook his head.

"Its a family clinic. Well see anyone, but our clientele is nearly exclusively homosexual. Things have calmed down since AIDS was first diagnosed, but that doesnt mean discrimination doesnt happen medically and socially. I cant end it everywhere, but I can make sure it doesnt come in my door."

"You own this place?"

"Myself, my partner, and two other doctors. We came here from Manchester after my partner Paul was attacked. He was still in medical school. I just finished my residency. The trauma room wouldnt treat him, pretending they were too crowded. In the end, we did, myself and several others. I called Terry, who you must know, the next day." Dr. Mallory said.

"Terry Hamilton? Our liaison here?" Wolfgang asked.

Dr. Mallory nodded his head. "He was a mate of ours in Manchester. Brighton is very friendly to homosexuals if you havent noticed."

Wolfgang smiled. "I have." He said.

"Manchester was working class and homophobic as hell, but it was home. Terry already lived in Brighton. I hated to leave, but I didnt want to put Paul in danger ever again. We moved here after he finished school. We started the clinic five years ago."

"Its nice. Its like a hospital." Wolfgang said, looking around, marveling how since joining Circus Gehlhaar he had seemed to have tapped into this underground of amazing individuals, people who celebrated their differences instead of hiding and trying to fit in. It made his rich, privileged upbringing look more and more like a hindrance with everyone he met.

"Speaking of hospitals, I do have one concern." Dr. Mallory said. "Thats very far to fall," he said, "and I think wed be deluding ourselves if we said that there was no one else involved since it is fairly obvious that Kurt was in some kind of fight."

Wolfgang nodded. "He never goes far from our grounds normally. The circus is very protective of him. But, I think weve always known that someday, people would try to hurt him."

"These injuries here," Dr. Mallory pointed to several ribs that to Wolfgangs untrained eye looked the same as all the others, "Im worried about them. In an ideal world I would want Kurt in a hospital where we could observe him at least for a few days."

Wolfgang shook his head. "Thats impossible." He said.

"I know, but these circumstances nearly always mean internal injuries. Most of the time its not serious, but it can be."

"How?" Wolfgang asked.

"If this is internal bleeding and it doesn’t stop, it could kill him." Dr. Mallory said. "But theres no way to know. It could be nothing."

"I guess well have to hope its nothing." Wolfgang said.

"I agree, but at least stay the rest of the night. Kurt will be comfortable; I can keep him on oxygen and give him some fluids. If its only for my own piece of mind, please." Dr. Mallory said.

Wolfgang looked at his watch. It was so late already that it hardly seemed to matter. "Okay." He said. "Just for tonight."
stocktonwood
Lubber
Lubber

Post by stocktonwood »

Wow! I really liked this installment, bravo! And i really liked your costume, i'm glad you won the contest, honestly i don't see how you couldn't. Anywho, glad you had fun and thanks for the latest installment.
"when I find myself in times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, Let It Be.." The Beatles

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
CurlyyHairGirl
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by CurlyyHairGirl »

I won best in my class (the highest award I could get)
I'm so happy for you, you worked so hard. You deserve it!*pats back*

Poor Kurt, that must be one g-nasty injury.
NWKurt
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Post by NWKurt »

Zam, sooooo good to hear about the con! We all knew you couldnt walk away without bringing back the best you could get. We just all thought good thoughts and just knew it would happen!!

Good to have someone take the photos as well, the storyline of photos really brought a bit of the con to us, thanks for sharing.

And you even had time to post a new part of your fic, coolness!:D

Well my friend, take it easy, you deserve it!!

NWKurt