My 'Crawler drawings

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Xfan23
Lubber
Lubber

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by Xfan23 »

OKay so the quality of this picture may not be that good but I don't have a digital scanner yet so bear with me here....
Nightcrawler in civilian clothes, coolieo huh?The thing behind the nightcrawler picture on the right hand side is one of the comics type things I wanted to draw but forgot about....
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by steyn »

Did you copy him from a Vegeta drawing?

Cute though.
Xfan23
Lubber
Lubber

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by Xfan23 »

Nope. I looked at a Kurt picture and drew him in my super-duper manga stilo. Though I can see how he sort of resembles Vegeta.....
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by chicory »

I like it :)

I'm no artist, but, good lines!
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by steyn »

She's right there, great clean lines. My things usually end up all sketchy and jagged.
Xfan23
Lubber
Lubber

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by Xfan23 »

Yay, some updates.

Here's Mercury in Civie clothes:
Image I messed up on her elbo because the stupid wind just had to blow my page right inot my sharpie tip.

And here's X-23 in her usual black:
[Image
I think I did okay. okay, now some REAL critiquing please, not just "ooooh that's cute!" stuff.

[Edited on 22/8/06 by Xfan23]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Well, I'll throw in an ooo thats cute! And a well done, I really like them!

As for critique?? It's tough sometimes to crit this kind of stuff, and the quality of the picture of them makes it tougher. They look quite proportionate, maybe slightly out of proportion, but it works. I think my biggest crit is don't be timid with a pencil. Put lines down with certainty. Does that make sense?
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Xfan23
Lubber
Lubber

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by Xfan23 »

Yeah,t he quality isn't that great because I had to use a digital camera to get them on the computer. I'm still hoping I'll get a digital scanner for my birthday....

And thank you for the crtiquing!Yes it does make sense about putting lines down with certainty. I do draw kinda lightly.... Anybob, thanks :D
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

My 'Crawler drawings

Post by Saint Kurt »

A good way to gain some confidence (besides practice :)) is to use multiple versions.

When I do my watercolors I actually draw it 3 different times. First I draw an initial sketch to get the placement and proportions right. It usually looks pretty sloppy - I'm not that great at freehand drawing. But it doesn't matter because I'm going to trace it two more times.

I take my freehand sketch to my lightbox and draw a second version over it. This is the more "exact" version. It's still in pencil but I don't erase very often and I even sometimes use tools like a french curve and a triangle to make sure my lines are strong. (What can I say, I'm old school, when I started there was no desktop publishing and we drew all our mechanicals on a drafting table)

Once I've got a good line drawing I like, I'm ready to transfer it to watercolor paper. The reason I don't draw directly on the watercolor paper is that if you erase on it, it changes the texture and it will pick up paint differently. The drawing on the watercolor paper is done with a very hard pencil so the line is very thin and light. Then I paint it - usually taped on the lightbox with the "good" pencil drawing under it. The reason for this is that as I work - I can turn on the light and get a quick preview of how my final inked version will look. I keep the light off to paint though, because it changes the colors. When the paint is dry, I turn the light back on and ink my drawing.

You'd be surprised at how quick this is. Because you don't sit on a single drawing erasing and redrawing (and possibly losing work due to something that can't be salvaged) I can usually turn something decent out in an hour or two.

For anyone who wants to get into drawing comics professionally or even just casually, a lightbox is an indespensible tool. I've had mine for something like 15 years now and I use it all the time. Totally worth the investment. And if you have a glass table top, you can "make" one by taping a piece of tracing paper to the underside to "frost" the glass and putting a desklamp underneath pointing up. The paper diffuses the light and now you have a light table! :)

-e