THE NIGHTSCRAWLERS BI-MONTHLY WRITING CHALLENGE: HOLIDAY EDI

Feeling creative? Post your fan stories and fan art here!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hello Nightscrawlers, and welcome to a very special Holiday edition of the Nightscrawlers Bi-Monthly Writing Challenge! :wave

This challenge is special because you get to pick from two different formats. If you feel most comfortable drawing, you can draw a picture or a short comic strip. If you feel most comfortable writing, you can write a short story! At the end of the contest, if there are enough entries, we’ll hold a poll so everyone—readers and authors and artists alike—can vote for their favorite. The Prize for the Winner will be a specially created banner that will link directly to the winning entry!

To enter, here’s what you have to do:

Create a newspaper-style comic strip (1-8 frames per post) or a short story (1-8 pages total) in which Nightcrawler and a character(s) of your choice get caught up in a classic Holiday story. The character(s) you choose to accompany Nightcrawler on his adventure can be one of the X-Men or from any fandom you like.

The deadline for this challenge is midnight, January 5, 2008.

Here are some story suggestions to get you started. If you’re not familiar with a story, or if you’d like a refresher, just click the link below the title. Most of the links lead to the full story, some lead to summaries.

The Story of Squanto and the First Thanksgiving
http://personal.pitnet.net/primarysources/squanto.html

The Story of Hanukkah
http://www.jewishpub.org/children/hanukkah/

The Nativity/The Little Drummer Boy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063230/plotsummary

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
http://www.stormfax.com/1dickens.htm

The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
http://www.online-literature.com/short. ... ?term=magi

The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson
http://www.online-literature.com/hans_c ... ersen/972/

It’s A Wonderful Life
http://imdb.com/title/tt0038650/synopsis
http://corky.net/scripts/itsAWonderfulLife.html

If you’d like to read an example of this kind of story, where a character gets caught up in a holiday tale, before you get started, or if you feel stuck and need a bit of inspiration, feel free to take a look at my old story “The Incredible Nightcrawler meets Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (A Complete Fractured Christmas Tale)” located here: viewthread.php?tid=4677

If you’d like to use a holiday story not included in the list above, please leave a message below or send me a U2U.

Good luck everyone, and remember, have fun! :D

:bamf

[Edited on 5/11/2007 by Rowena]

[Edited on 5/1/2008 by Rowena]

[Edited on 5/1/2008 by Rowena]
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."
~The Doctor, Robot

"If this isn't civilization, why am I standing in a bomb crater?"
~Hawkeye Pierce, M.A.S.H.

Rowena Zahnrei's Stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/526713/Rowena_Zahnrei
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Post by Starfish »

Sounds like fun, so I'll give it a shot and try to write a Holiday story. :)
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Ooooh. Good idea Row! Looks fun. I'm not committing yet, but we shall see ;).

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

Yes....we'll see... :shifty
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Cool and awesome everyone!

Just a quick reminder in case anyone's thinking of doing a story on Squanto: Thanksgiving's only a few days away! Within the week, the holiday season will be firmly upon us. So, if you plan to enter, start brainstorming now! I can't wait to read what you guys come up with!!! :D
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold. Come on, Ace, we've got work to do."
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

THE NIGHTSCRAWLERS BI-MONTHLY WRITING CHALLENGE: HOLIDAY EDITION (LAST DAY SAT. JAN. 12!)

Post by wingyding »

sure, I'll go in for it. I don't know how I managed to miss this before, but I certainly haven't now!
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

THE NIGHTSCRAWLERS BI-MONTHLY WRITING CHALLENGE: HOLIDAY EDITION (LAST DAY SAT. JAN. 12!)

Post by Scumfish »

Tempting. Hmm. Will ponder.
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Question: If we do the comic-style, do we have to limit the entire story to 8 frames? Or unlimited frames, just 8 per post?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Answer: You've got unlimited frames, but because it's newspaper-style and newspaper comics are usually brief one-shots or serials you can only post up to 8 frames at a time. You might need 24 frames, or you might only need 1 frame to tell your story. The up-to-8-at-a-time limit--like the 8 page limit for stories--is there pretty much to encourage brevity so everyone will be able to finish their entries on time. :D

[Edited on 1/12/2007 by Rowena]
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Thanks! I decided to fic, but I appreciate the quick reply. :)
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi everyone! Just a quick reminder--the deadline may be Jan. 5, but there's only one more week 'till Christmas! If you've got a story or a comic in the works, you might want to start posting it soon! :D
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wrote Ultimate X-mas recently and it's not based on any one story, but it's just got that special holiday spirit. I'm not gonna submit it, but I like writing stuff like this, it's good fun.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

It looks like no one summited anything so I will either tommorrow or Friday. I have great idea!!!:pokejoke
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Uh..do we summit the holiday challenge here or where at? I maybe wrong about the whole"no one summited " thing.... me and my big mouth:doh!
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

You post it in the main 'three toed tails and fussy visions' area - labeled as a challenge fic. For example:

title of story - christmas 2007 fic challenge entry

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

Rowena! I am LOVING your avatar! I believe I shall change mine to reflect my current love of Who.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

OK?

Post by german_gremlin »

Originally posted by fourpawsonthefloor
You post it in the main 'three toed tails and fussy visions' area - labeled as a challenge fic. For example:

title of story - christmas 2007 fic challenge entry

Paws

Like how you put a new topic and the label it as a challege fic? In this catagory? Anyone knows how to summit an enrty for the challege let a fan know please..i'm new! thanks!!!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

you suBmit a story by going to the fuzzy visions and three toed tales section (which you are currently in.) Start a thread and label it as "MY SUPERDUPER X-MAS STORY ABOUT STUFF AND THINGS" :Challenge Fic for Holidays 07.

THEN, copy/paste story onto here or write it on their if you want, which (as i've learned) lessens "Borg Text". (really long clustered paragraphs that are easy to read on books but not online.) then you can add it as an attachment as well (which is what I do you don't have to) and hit finish. Then, you have started a new topic/thread about your story and that is your submitted fic.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Ok, I think I got ya. I make a new topic and name it MY AWSOME, ROCKIN' X-MAS TALE ABOUT KURT AND WHOM-EVER": Challenge fic for Holidays 07.

Then copy and paste it here for others too read, but how do I do attachments? I'm not too sure how. Anyone who knows please let me know :) Thanks for your help Ult_SM86!!
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Hi german_gremlin! Thanks for your question. All you have to do to submit an entry is write a story following the challenge guidelines above, then post it in the FVTTT forum like you would any other story. Just be sure to indicate in the title that your story is a writing challenge entry. Like "STORY TITLE: Entry for the Holiday Writing Challenge." The story doesn't even have to be completely finished when you start posting, you can put it up in parts, just so long as it's done by the deadline: midnight, January 5, 2008. And there's no limit to how many entries you submit, as long as each story follows the challenge guidelines. Attachments are not necessary.

If you'd like to see an example of an official entry, check out "A Beautiful Christmas Morn" by NachtcGleiskette. Here's a link: viewthread.php?tid=9246

Ult_Sm86, I really appreciate your enthusiasm, and your holiday story does deserve some reviews, but unfortunately, since it doesn't involve Nightcrawler getting somehow pulled into a holiday story I'm afraid it does not qualify as a challenge entry. It is a good story on its own, though. All it needs is a few spaces between paragraphs to make it more readable and less blocky. I like your term 'borg-text' by the way, it's a great description! Just space it out a bit either while you're writing or after you paste the text in the reply box.

And thank you, JSherlock!!! Your new avatar's pretty awesome too! Doctor Who RULES!!!! :D :D

This challenge looks like it's shaping up to be pretty exciting. I really can't wait to see what all you guys come up with!!! Just remember that this is a challenge, and in order for your story to qualify to win it has to follow the stated challenge guidelines.

Good luck everyone, and have fun writing! :D :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Yeah i didn't think mine met requirements but I gave it a shot. I originally just wrote it as a story cuz i like christmas nightcrawler and spider-man so why not combine them? Then no one entered so I threw it out there. Regardless, thanks for the feedback and feel free to give the credit of borg text to Slarti and other chat members.
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

Oh thank-you!!!! I'm so excited about doin' this! Wish me luck!:dance Oh, by the way..I love your Dr. Who avatar!!! :tophat
Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Thanks, german_gremlin! And good luck with your entry! :D :D

Quick reminder everyone: there's only 8 days left to get your entires in before the contest deadline, Jan. 5.

Hope you're all having a fantastic holiday!

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

Can you believe it's the last day of the year already? Wow!

Quick reminder: The writing contest ends midnight, Saturday!

Happy New Year's Eve Everyone! :D :D

:party :dance :party
~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot

Rowena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Rowena »

ONE DAY LEFT

OK everyone, this is it! This contest is scheduled to end at midnight on Saturday, January 5, so that means TOMORROW is your last chance to get your entires up and posted before the deadline.

If you have a contest entry in the works and would like to request a one week deadline extension, please let me know!

Once all the entires are in a poll will be held, during which readers and authors alike will have a chance to vote for their favorite! The winner of this poll will be awarded a specially created banner that will link directly to the winning entry! :D

So, guys, if you've got an entry to share, now is the time to post it. Please post all entries in the main Fuzzy Visions & Three-Toed Tales forum, and be sure to indicate in the title that yours is an entry for the Holiday Writing Challenge.

Please enter, and good luck! :D

~The Doctor, Survival

~The Doctor, Robot