Missing Link??? 47 Million Years Old and Still New!

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

So get this, some people stumbled upon the 47 Million Year Old remains of what could potentially be the missing link!!

As cool as this is, it still brings up controversy... Which I don't understand. I cautiously put this topic in here because I know there shouldn't be any dilemma with this topic or its contents, but I do know there are some people (not sure if they're here) who do like the idea of creationism.

That's not what this topic is about.

This topic is about whether we think this is going to turn out to be the Missing Link or not, after all they have said this... 8 or 9 times by now.

So let's hear what we think!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

Post by Esynthia »

I don't believe it. The only thing they said about why they think it's a link is because it "shows the continuity of the evolutionary record, so in that sense it is a link [between Homo erectus and modern humans]." If they want me to change my belief system they've gotta say more than that. To me, that's still a hypothosis on the scientist's part.
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

Post by JSherlock »

I personally believe in evolution, but I'm holding my judgement/ideas in reserve for this - the skull is way too intact...and too pristine in that photo. I need to read more research. After all, as you've said, there's all ready been more than one "missing link". But if this turns out to be another step in the process from ape to man, how awesome is that? :dance

[Edited on 20/5/2009 by JSherlock]
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Post by Ferguson »

Yeah, read a few reports so far and really most people aren't thinking that it's all that likely anyway. A link sure but definitely not the missing piece of the puzzle, so to speak.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Well I think what's impressive is the carbon date they're giving it. Missing link or not, I'm impressed with the preservation that took place.
The skull was missing a lower jaw but had a nearly intact cranium. Most early human fossils are found in many small pieces.

The scientists believe the skull comes from the middle Pleistocene era, about 600,000 to 200,000 years ago.

Homo erectus is thought to be an ancestor of modern Homo sapiens. H. erectus first appeared in Africa and lived from about 1.9 to 0.8 million years ago.
That's... that's just amazing. Any prehistorical scholar or even anthropologist would tell you flat out, to find something in such good shape from so long ago? Amazing. That's some sheer luck. I doubt it's the link... but it's a link for sure. A stepping stone. And that's good progress.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS