"You listen to THEM?"

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Okay, so I'm spent. And I need to get this off my chest so allow me a few moments here.

*shaves chest*

Now that that's off, here's what I have to say.

So this guy I work with at the market place, is a jerk.

By jerk I mean, this guy blows all standards of jerk out of the water. His name rhymes with the word lawn, but let's just call him Shawn.

Shawn says to me:
"What the fuck is that sound?"

That sound was, and still is, my girlfriends ringtone when she calls me.
The song is "Grow Old With You" By Adam Sandler from the Wedding Singer. Now... granted this does not mean I love the song, but I love what it's about and I often times related it to Kay so she and I chose that as a song for her.

I say "(insert above statement)".
He says. "What're you a fag?"

Now .... this I don't get. So i say to Shawn,
"I guess you missed the part where I said this is the song for my girlfriend" and then I remind him he's at work and not to say "fag".

He says "Why, are you a fag?"

Like a fox this one is.

So anyways, I decide to let it go. Later my Green Day alarm goes off on my phone (obviously the solution at this point would be "Tyler turn off your phone" but I need my alarm so I remember to take a pill)

He says "Green Day. They fucking suck."
Congratulations you have an opinion, now go get bent.

Instead I say to him "Well, you got your opinion, I got mine."

He says;
"Your opinion's wrong though."

Now that's just silly but I let it go.

Today he asks me if I have any favorite bands. I tell him my top five.

(DMB, Green Day, The Rolling Stones, the John Mayer Trio, Bruce Springsteen
& THe E-Street Band)

He says "Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay, Gay."

I say, "Look dude, if you know you don't like the music I do, then why don't you just leave me alone about it?"

He says "'Cuz I'm making sure you like real music. You like hip-hop?" I say "Yeah. Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye, Common, The Ro-"
"Rap sucks."

I just sort of stare at him.

"Okay... so what do you listen to?"

"Kenny Chesney, Big & Rich, Garth Brooks"

I nearly shot myself. I mean, here he is judging my character or arguably my sexual preference, based on my genre of music, and all he listens to is country. Why should what we listen to define ourselves? And how do people have the balls to tell OTHER people what they listen to sucks when they're not venturing out of their typical genre.

And isn't Kenny Chesney GAY? How is he calling John Mayer and Green Day and Rolling Stones gay, and rationalizing this to himself?

Now I know a few of you are going to say "how is this a debate, Bman? Just leave him a lone problem solved"

The debate is this:

Do our personalities attract us to music, or does the music we like define our personality?

I began to wrestle with this concept after my discussions with him, wondering if I am crazy because I try to listen to a little of everything, while there's so many people listening to JUST metal or JUST reggae, or JUST folk.

If they're folk, why do we associate them as hippies? How do we know the "hippie" part didn't happen first? And since when do all folk artists have to be hippies? Or the fans of?

Any thoughts are welcome.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

Hahaha...How old is this guy anyways? He sounds like, 8! I do like Kenny Chesney though. Still, I know how you feel!
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

If he continues to throw inappropriate slurs at you, I'd be contacting your manager. That's prejudgice right there and you shouldn't have to listen to the incitement of hatred in your workplace.

(then that's me. some people shrug and brust it off as a sociatal norm)
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I already bagged him for trying to convert me to Christianity. He got written up. :cracked
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

"You listen to THEM?"

Ahhhhhhhhhh. Red necked fundie. Yeah, that's gonna be a hard battle to fight. See, this is what pisses me off, cause I know so many fantastic Christians, but then Billy Bob here comes along and gives it a bad name.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

yeah. So people think that cuz I know a couple miley cyrus songs (that are vastly overplayed) I'm gay. Music doesn't make you how you are. Who you are does. And, true, music shapes perspective which shapes personality. But it doesn't change the core of who or what you are. Listening to reggae doesn't make me a Rastafarian, nor does listening to Christian music make me a Christian.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Angelique »

So let me get this straight (for lack of a better expression at the moment). The guy gets written up for trying to convert you to Christianity (possibly not something appropriate for the workplace depending on its policies), but so far isn't in trouble for hurling slurs at you (something much less appropriate)?

Get the guy written up.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

DEFINITELY not appro-pro in any working environment short of a church or social center. And the reason he was written up for trying "to convert me" is his version of a conversion(--heh that rhymes--)also means "insult".

He spent his time telling me how only stupid people believe in dinosaurs, evolution, etc. And only stupid people think AC/DC isn't the greatest band ever.

I'm contemplating another one, but who's really the instigator of I do so? I'm going to let him try and work his magic on me infront of someone else, but maybe he's just genuinely smart and saves it for when no one is around.

Anyways, topic back on hand,

yes Bob, I agree with that sentiment. I do enjoy acting out as Punk rockers do and I do enjoy writing semi-political lyrics as they do as well.

however; I love a good, well written, deep song about life, what you're missing in it, and how that girl that got away was the biggest mistake of your life.

I like songs that express freedom of mind and soul. I don't like a lot of dance music but if it's something I'm particularly taken by I never shrug it off. I believe who we are attracts us to the music we listen to.

And I think this guy gave me a huge reason NOT to listen to Garth Brooks and Alan Jackson anymore.
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

Ult_Sm86 wrote: And I think this guy gave me a huge reason NOT to listen to Garth Brooks and Alan Jackson anymore.
No! Don't let some random jerk stop you from listening to Garth Brooks and stuff! It's not the artist's fault that the guys an ass!
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

LOL it was a joke. But the gag there is that "if the music you listen to reflects who you are... I guess he listens to D-Bag music" :cracked
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Bamfing_Bob wrote: nor does listening to Christian music make me a Christian.
You're kidding right? Christian music is about the message and not the music and the music suffers for it. I don't know any non-Christians who like it, and I know plenty of Christians who can't stand it.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Angelique »

The Drastic Spastic wrote: You're kidding right? Christian music is about the message and not the music and the music suffers for it. I don't know any non-Christians who like it, and I know plenty of Christians who can't stand it.
Obviously, you haven't listened to much Christian music since Stryper's days. I know a lot of people who claim to hate Christian music who, while flipping through radio stations, unknowingly come across a Christian station playing music they actually like.

My husband, who still insists he doesn't like Christian music (besides the Newsboys, whom I took him to see in concert), does this all the time.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Damn... I was just trying to make a point. Maybe "Nor does listening to country music make you a country" would have been more appropriate...
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I'll have to say that this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I personally have never seen anyone who ISN'T Christian ever listen to Christian music, however this does not mean all Christians listen to it.

Now I know Creed is debatable, but the band Five Iron Frenzy is apparently Christian Alt. While I can tell some of their songs have a strong christian undertone, I tend to turn those ones off and listen to the other stuff ("Ugly Day", "Oh, Canada", "Superpowers", etc...) and these songs are good and fun.

By no means am I a Christian listener. I detest Creed and most artists like them who disguise their religious music with metaphorical undertones and metal musings. I am also no fan of Ska (which is arguably what F.I.F. is) but their songs for some reason I really dig.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

"You listen to THEM?"

I like some Christian music. More the modern stuff though. Jars of Clay is great. Everyone likes different things, and that's ok.

I also like anything from Get Low to Disco Stick to [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNVTUh5yviI]Devil in the Kitchen (ashley macissac).

I mean, music can comment on you, sure. It can also just be something that you like and it doesn't say a dang thing about you at all. You just like it.

I do say that variety is the spice of life though.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Bicep Addict
Nightscrawlearth Character: :rogue :monet :multiple :leech :sinister

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Esynthia »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I'll have to say that this is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

I personally have never seen anyone who ISN'T Christian ever listen to Christian music, however this does not mean all Christians listen to it.
Anberlin is Christian and I know several non Christians who listen to them. As are Lifehouse and Thousand Foot Krutch. Both VERY awesome bands. Now... Lifehouse is actually debatable imo b/c they didn't start out Christian. Some of their songs are, but not all of them. I think they are Christian guys who have a band that isn't Christian all around.

Anyway, I listen to a little bit of everything. Country, Pop, Rock, Metal, Oldies, Dance, Zydeco, Jazz, Musical Theatre... etc. And I, myself, am a VERY eclectic person. My mom's told me for years thats the best word to describe my personality and my music reflects that. :shrug
ImageImage

Remy: he feels lust for everyone
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Ever heard of Switchfoot? They are a Christian band, despite not being labeled as such. They did this to avoid the whole "I don't listen to Christian music" thing.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Esynthia »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:Ever heard of Switchfoot? They are a Christian band, despite not being labeled as such. They did this to avoid the whole "I don't listen to Christian music" thing.
Yes. and I love them.
ImageImage

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The only bands people have listed that I've heard of are Creed and Lifehouse, both of which are debatably Christian bands. They are also both in the category of music where I don't care if I hear it in the mall, but wouldn't voluntarily listen to it. Bland.

Just cause you're Christian and in a band doesn't mean your band is a "Christian band". There's a line. Never heard of Switchfoot but I will watch some YouTube videos after class and see if they cross it. (Creed and Lifehouse don't, imo.)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Bamfing_Bob wrote:Ever heard of Switchfoot? They are a Christian band, despite not being labeled as such. They did this to avoid the whole "I don't listen to Christian music" thing.
Yes, they too avoided it the way Creed tried to.

I love Switchfoot, they're most excellent band, but like with Five Iron Frenzy, i personally choose to avoid the songs that communicate (to an extreme) the religious views of the band. I think I might just be drawn to music that questions things not is comfortable with the way they are or finds solace in God.
Another defining reason for your personality directs you to the genre, not the other way around.

Also, I tend to avoid LifeHouse purely 'cuz of their sound, I had no realization of Christian lyrics, but it makes a lot of sense now in retrospect. I personally don't like Life house 'cuz i think they're a boy band who can play instruments.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Esynthia »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:
Yes, they too avoided it the way Creed tried to.

I love Switchfoot, they're most excellent band, but like with Five Iron Frenzy, i personally choose to avoid the songs that communicate (to an extreme) the religious views of the band. I think I might just be drawn to music that questions things not is comfortable with the way they are or finds solace in God.
Another defining reason for your personality directs you to the genre, not the other way around.

Also, I tend to avoid LifeHouse purely 'cuz of their sound, I had no realization of Christian lyrics, but it makes a lot of sense now in retrospect. I personally don't like Life house 'cuz i think they're a boy band who can play instruments.
Lifehouse is my favorite band, actually. They are mellow and calm me down when I'm feeling anxious, excited, w/e. Also, their lyrics are beautiful. Jason Wade is a poet. I don't know what you're talking about with them being a boyband. They're not "pop rock" which is what boy bands are. Lifehouse writes their own music and play their own instruments. And they don't have choreographed dances to do on stage.
ImageImage

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Just saying that it's how they sound to me, not trying to pick a fight here. It's pointless to fight over music, that's like arguing about the color of someone's hair. Just because someone likes a type of music that you don't doesn't make that person (as sean would put it, faggoty) or any other negative things. It's unhealthy to pursue arguments about music, you can't change someone's mind on that.

Part of what my argument in the beginning of this whole thing was. Why get angry at someone just because they like or dislike some music? Why throw up arms because they don't think your band is that great? Or because they like someone you don't. It's just.... stupid really.

Update;

Sean has been suspended for telling someone that their shoes looked like shoes for a "gay-boy".
The person he said this to was a kitchen worker. A Gay kitchen worker. He was not happy.
Esynthia
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Esynthia »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:Just saying that it's how they sound to me, not trying to pick a fight here. It's pointless to fight over music, that's like arguing about the color of someone's hair. Just because someone likes a type of music that you don't doesn't make that person (as sean would put it, censored slury) or any other negative things. It's unhealthy to pursue arguments about music, you can't change someone's mind on that.
I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I was telling you my side of things and stating why they shouldn't be labeled as a 'boy band'. I wasn't sure where you got that idea, so I was just telling you things they don't do that 'boy bands' do do. ...If that made any sense at all... >< If I was trying to pick a fight I would have been rude or yelled or something. But I wasn't. Hey, if someone doesn't like my favorite band, fine. More for me to listen to and better chance I'll get a ticket to their next concert. (Which, btw, they've come to my city 4 times and EVERY TIME I've not been able to get tickets! :bawl)

[Edited on 7/1/2009 by Esynthia]
ImageImage

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I was telling you my side of things and stating why they shouldn't be labeled as a 'boy band'. I wasn't sure where you got that idea, so I was just telling you things they don't do that 'boy bands' do do. ...If that made any sense at all... >< If I was trying to pick a fight I would have been rude or yelled or something. But I wasn't. Hey, if someone doesn't like my favorite band, fine. More for me to listen to and better chance I'll get a ticket to their next concert. (Which, btw, they've come to my city 4 times and EVERY TIME I've not been able to get tickets! )
actually I meant Sean picks fights, I didn't think you were trying to. In fact I figured you were doing exactly what I would expect anyone to do, which is to naturally defend a favorite band. It's more than alright that you like them. I think one or two of their singles, artistically, is very well composed. I just personally do not feel an appeal to their lyrics or style. I really do hear Justin Timberlake from N*sync everytime he sings. Again, this is just a perspective, not truth, y'know? :)

I know you're not particularly fond of Green Day's newer stuff (i think?) though I feel their new stuff is as mature as it is punk rock, and it keeps up with the times. (Granted 21 Guns needs to stop. Kthnx Green Day.) But like I said, we just put personal attachment to our bands.

What I don't get is why people (like Sean) make personal attacks about something liek Music. It's... distressing.
Svartfreja
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: Pushed Beaver
Nightscrawlearth Character: :quicksilver :invisiblewoman :spiderwoman

"You listen to THEM?"

Post by Svartfreja »

Having just read the initial post I have to say: LOL!!!

Wow that guy sounds DENSE. It's kinda funny.

Wonder what he'd say to my music tastes? Or if he'd even know who half of them are :shifty
:quicksilver Pietro Maximoff [Quicksilver]

Quicksilver: Howisshe?Isshealright?Imusetspeakwithmysisteratonce.
Hawkeye: What is that noise?
IronMan: That is the noise Pietro makes right before he's tossed out of the airlock. ~ Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6