Pollution In China

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Pollution In China

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Now of course I knew that China is one of the most polluted countries in the world, but this is really goddamn horrible.

Here's the main article with loads of more or less shocking pictures.

[quote]
[QQ] October 14, 2009, the 30th annual awards ceremony of the W. Eugene Smith Memorial Fund took place at the Asia Society in New York City. Lu Guang (卢广 ) from People’s Republic of China won the $30,000 W. Eugene Smith Grant in Humanistic Photography for his documentary project “Pollution in China.”[/quote]

[img]http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/upl ... uang14.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.chinahush.com/wp-content/upl ... ang221.jpg[/img]

How can corporations keep on doing this stuff even though it's clear as a day how it's fucking everything up.

Of course they can't completely shut the industrialism down, but at least they could use more money to make the factories more nature friendly, and looks like they don't even have any regulations, I mean how messed up is this:

[quote] Jiangsu province Changshu City Fluorine Chemical industry land sewage treatment plant (江苏省常熟市氟化学工业园污水处理厂 ) was responsible for collection and processing of the industrial sewage. However they did not. [/quote]
Wtf? Sewage treatment plant doesn't do what it's supposed to do? I guess it's just so that they can make a bit more money.

[Edited on 26/10/2009 by Crocodile Hunter]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Pollution In China

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

This is a situation that goes way beyond simple "ethical values".

The country is overpopulated, overdeveloped, and under-governed. One of the biggest downfalls of communism is the disregard for health/safety and the overbearing focus on development, production, and control in the government.

America is pretty bad on the pollution scale, but a lot of the people responsible for it have authorities to answer to. Specifically the people. Wal-Mart leaves flat beds of fertilizer out in Arizona, it rains, and the chemicals go into the drains and into the water used for showers, drinking, what-have-you. People get sick, people get pissed, Wal-Mart gets fined, other people get involved (namely lawyers), and soon there's bi-laws and standards for all corporations nation wide to meet when it comes to leaving something simple like fertilizer outside.

China doesn't have that, unfortunately. Their people, no matter how passionate or upset they are, don't have a lot of wiggle room. India is much the same, but for other reasons entirely.

It's an anthropological issue, at its core. The people need to change from the bottom all the way to the top. We can't sanction the government, refuse to pay their debts, or call them names in the UN, or get them to admit they suck, and then not have them do anything about it. Someone needs to go in and find a way to change it, repair one of the cogs in this clockwork, and the rest of it will begin to fix itself.

How to do that, I have no clue, but it has to be done.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS