Quran burning? WTH?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Slarti »

From CNN: Pastor weighing plans to burn Qurans despite US warnings

Sure, they’re free under the Constitution to do such a thing, just as an Islamic group is free to burn Bibles, or the Klan to burn effigies, or government critics to burn flags, but is it really a smart thing to do? It seems to me that this is exactly the message we don't want to send to the Muslim world about the US -- it says that we are as intolerant as their most radical elements.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

What a fucking idiot.

What a fucking stupid, dick biting, knicker-wearing, donkey hustling, mustache toting, closeted, syfilis hauling, ass smelling, Jesus flaunting, ball-punching, asshat wearing, mouthpiece to the most ignorant and fucked up people of this country.

They should have a Bible burning right next to his Qur'an burning. Seriously. What a dick.

Obviously it's going to make Afghanistan harder now. And everywhere else. And what the hell, this isn't free speech, it's destruction of property! And a hate crime!

It can easily be shut down! Jefferson used to speak frequently about how religion was the sole thing that could destroy the U.S. from the inside out, and he wasn't lying. He never said it had to be a religion Americans embraced either.

Why the hell are there so many people reporting on it? Way to make it a big issue!

I'm sure somewhere all the beer-bellied, back washed, red neck, hill billies all over the southern Bible Belt and deep into Louisiana, and then far into the Mexican/Texas border do this shit all the time as well, but there's no PRESS! Make it press-release, make it public, make it public, give it attention! Give it attention, MAKE IT WORSE!!

Morons! This country was established on very clear concepts of right and wrong and we are repeatedly fucking those rights in the ass!! IDIOTS!

Shit, I need to take a bath now.

[Edited on 7/9/10 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Slarti »

Wow, let's knock off the name calling, please, although I agree with the main point.

However, it is free and protected speech -- if flag burning is protected, so is this.
Dedicatedfollower467
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Dedicatedfollower467 »

Technically, yeah, okay, they're exercising their rights to free speech.

But man.... all it shows is hate. I don't care if you say it's not. You're praying about this? Well, then, you're not listening to the answer. Hate is never the answer, especially not in a situation like this.

If I were a part of this church, I'd leave. Burning books of ANY kind is wrong, and religious books almost more so. You may not agree with what the Quran says, but it holds important cultural value for us as human beings. You can't just burn it. That's wrong.

And actually... How are they getting ahold of these Qurans? They're not exactly "walk into Barnes and Noble and buy one" books.

Technically, it's not destruction of property if they own them... but still....

GAAAAAH people are stupid.
~Def.
"A dedicated follower of nothing." -- graffitit artist in Brick Lane, London, England.
Right across the lane from the demon and just down the wall from Wolverine.
RIP Kurt Wagner. You were the character who brought in me into comics, who introduced me and inspired me. Now your death has sent me away again. Wherever you are in the Marvel Universe, I hope its someplace pleasant.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Fine, I'll restructure the whole thing.

What a fucking idiot.

Who does this guy think he is? Does he understand what kind of a message he is sending? Does he understand he's supporting all the terrible stereotypes of Southern Americans, or even Americans as a whole?

They should have a Bible burning right next to his Qur'an burning. Seriously. If this is allowed, then he should get it suck in his ear and be forced to watch his precious texts be burned as well.

Obviously it's going to make Afghanistan harder now. And everywhere else. I'm sorry, I do not believe this to be free speech, it's destruction of property! And a hate crime! Burning a flag is a statement against a nation or country. Burning a religious text is however, in every viewable way, a hate crime.

As an Atheist, I have never burned a Bible or Torah or Qur'An. I don't see the point. The Free Speech factor for me comes in with the "Speech" part. I say what I want, how I want to, the way I want to, and if I get censored, I get upset.

I don't burn someones religious text, I couldn't. That's saying more than I disagree. That's saying I hate you and you shouldn't be allowed to have your opinions and shouldn't be allowed to have your own culture. This is too close to what happened with the Pilgrims, the Western Explorers, and the British fellas all over the world.

it's even close to Nazism. Sorry, this is how I feel.

It can easily be shut down! Jefferson used to speak frequently about how religion was the sole thing that could destroy the U.S. from the inside out, and he wasn't lying. He never said it had to be a religion Americans embraced either. "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity." - Jefferson

Why the hell are there so many people reporting on it? Way to make it a big issue!

I'm sure somewhere all the ignorant people within (and around) the Bible Belt of the South do this kind of ignorant behavior all the time as well, but there's no PRESS! Make it press-release, make it public, make it public, give it attention! Give it attention, MAKE IT WORSE!!

What a moronic action! This country was established on very clear concepts of right and wrong and we are repeatedly raping those rights with every instance like this.

It's uproarious how they think it's acceptable. It's laughable that someone could call this free speech. It's ignorant. It's belligerent. It's coming from a place of harboring resentment, and anyone should be able to see that.

Also;
They're not exactly "walk into Barnes and Noble and buy one" books.
Free Qur'an.

This site works, my friend has one. It's very boring. Not the premise, just the writing. It doesn't translate well. :Z

[Edited on 7/9/10 by Ult_Sm86]
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Angelique »

I think it would not only be more respectful to the millions of innocent Muslims who do not support terrorism, but to our big firefighting family who suffered a huge loss, to avoid setting any unecessary fires.

I hope the nutcases doing this do not presume to speak for me as a Christian and an American.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Slarti »

They're not exactly "walk into Barnes and Noble and buy one" books.
Yeah they are -- just like any other mainstream religious text. I worked at Barnes and Noble a few years ago when I was laid off, and I'm the one who stocked them, so I know they sell 'em. Public libraries also have them. It's very easy to get copies.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

All religious texts are accessible to the mass public.

Although, Ironically, my friend and I could get the mormon bible and Qur'An for free online... but not the Torah. Not saying, just saying.

"I call my weed the Koran, because burning that shit will get you stoned." - Jesus M Christ. , of Twitter

[Edited on 8/9/10 by Ult_Sm86]
TechPrincess
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Little BABY!! Fairy <3
Nightscrawlearth Character: :jean :emma :husk

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by TechPrincess »

I know this is a month late, but the comment that people in Texas do this all the time has me a bit upset. I LIVE in Texas. My radio stations (only listen to two) are purely family friendly and Christian based. My main one, KCBI out of Dallas, had people calling in expressing their views on the issue. For the record, nobody I heard thought it was a really good idea. Most of us are in the boat that such an act undermines the message that Jesus brought. How can we show the love of Christ by demonstrating hate? My pastor has taken a very strong stance on religions and their holy books that I agree with. While I have these "radical ideas" I still know how much damage would come from burning that book. It is not destruction of property because he owns it. It would make our work in the mission field much harder. It would also make our war front that much worse.

All in all, it was a bad idea. The pastor burning the Koran has said that he is ashamed of the church (not his, THE Church)for backing down. I think he is misguided. His heart is in the right place, as he believes that the book leads people away from Christ. His method was not great and neither is his condemnation of the Church for wanting to demonstrate love.
Paige :husk -------- Emma :emma -------- Hope :jean
Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by Chaos »

Because two wrongs make a right, eh? Just like in Nagasaki, Hiroshima, you know, all the old faves!

Honestly, even Christ himself didn't raise a fist. Humble brother got killed because he wouldn't raise a stone to wrath against people who believed in something different - ironically, the Church, the Mosque, and just about every other 'extremist super power' forgets that the olive branch was the foundation on which the concept of God's love was first expressed....

Still, whatever makes these guys think 'THEIR' God is backing them. Lord knows they thought he was when they burned all those innocent women alive during things like....gee, I dunno...uhm....the Salem Witch Trials? Or when they were beheading Muslims during the Crusades? Doesn't make it right that now, with better technology, the Al-Qaeda think it's ok to (essentially) pull the same gambit but...well, what would the human race be without animosity and hypocrisy? xx

That's right, kids. They'd be better. "As God intended", one might say....
"I've met dozens like you. Skipped off home early, minor graft jobs here and there. Spent some time in lock-up too, I'll warrant; but less than you claim. And now you're, what, a petty theif with delusions of standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill..." - River Tam, 'Firefly'

Achievements: ImageImageImage
TechPrincess
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Little BABY!! Fairy <3
Nightscrawlearth Character: :jean :emma :husk

Quran burning? WTH?

Post by TechPrincess »

Actually, Christ did get angry. He did not harm anyone but he overthrew the tables at the temple.

EDIT: Changed the reason they were overthrown. Researching that. Point is he turned them over!

[Edited on 10/13/10 by TechPrincess]
Paige :husk -------- Emma :emma -------- Hope :jean