Wait They Want To Ban... What?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

San Francisco is voting soon to ban -- get this -- Circumcision....

Yeah, that's right. They want to ban that.

This is a quote from the article:
The San Francisco referendum was written by a San Diego man, Matthew Hess, who has been pushing for a national ban for a decade. The success of the measure so far has focused a spotlight on his comic book series, Foreskin Man, which depicts evil doctors and "Monster Mohel," an Orthodox Jewish circumciser.

Hess declined a request for an interview, but he has defended his work on Twitter: "Those who cut innocent children will be drawn like the villains that they are."
I don't get it, it has been proven it leaves no psychological effects and it's a religious thing. It doesn't appear to be any worse than not circumcising in terms of health, but there are different studies that aim to state different things.

[Edited on 10/6/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

Post by Scumfish »

Don't ban it. Just leave it to choice. Speaking as a guy from the UK, the only time circumcision's used is medically (in the case of a friend of mine, for instance) or religiously (in the case of Jews and I believe a few other various Christian groups.

From my understanding, it became a widespread practice in America to circumcise newborn baby boys because of the Puritan basis the first settlers had - it was thought circumcision limited perversion and masturbation. Personally, so long as religion and medical things are still adhered to (freedoms and rights and whatnot) I think it should simply be up to the child/family in question. I know if my son was circumcised without my permission I'd hit the roof, and there'd be a massive outcry about it over here, so why should it be any different over there?

But yes. To ban it would be to remove the medical and religious significance of the act. Just make it so both parents have to sign a bit of paper. They already have to sign the birth certificate, right?
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Circumcision became common in the US during WW1 out of concerns for hygiene. Regarding the procedure itself, as a mother of a son, daughter in law of an MD, and someone with a need for continuing medical education, after studying the pros and cons, I'm neutral. But discussion with supporters of the measure revealed to me that concern for children really isn't the issue at all. I've asked some of the ban's supporters why, if they were concerned about babies being mutilated or enduring unnecessary medical procedures without their consent, they weren't moving to ban parents from piercing the ears of baby girls. The more I discussed, the more apparent it became to me that behind this proposed ban is a great deal of medical ignorance (as demonstrated with the oft-trotted out comparisons to FGM), cultural ignorance, and a hatred of religion, specifically Judaism.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Post by steyn »

I'm with Scumfish on this, it's only necessary when it's for medical reasons or for religious reasons. Or if you're gonna be travelling the desert for 40 years. Don't ban the thing, just leave it alone. And yeah, if I had a boy and he got cut without my permission, I'd be having one heck of a hissyfit.
Chaos
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: Mr. President
Nightscrawlearth Character: :venom :spidey etc.

Post by Chaos »

I'm inclined to agree with Scumfish on this, too. For all the afore mentioned reasons.

My parents let me decide whether I wanted to be circumcised, seeing as until I was around the age of consent it wouldn't really bother me too much on account of the fact they let me choose my religious beleifs and sexuality, too. I think everyone should be able to have the choice, but I suppose it's an awfully naive perspective since tradition is quite important to some.
"I've met dozens like you. Skipped off home early, minor graft jobs here and there. Spent some time in lock-up too, I'll warrant; but less than you claim. And now you're, what, a petty theif with delusions of standing? Sad little king of a sad little hill..." - River Tam, 'Firefly'

Achievements: ImageImageImage