Apocalypse me now?

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Apocalypse me now?

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

It seems everywhere I turn around nowadays there's news articles about specific churches dedicated to preaching how the world is ending (but lets face it that's been happening for like...2000 years nearly). But then there's also a lot of other crap going on with the world's weather and all those dang earthquakes and so on so forth. Then there's also 2012 and the massive amount of drama with that (y2k anyone?).

So, I'm curious on how others feel about it (and hoping that I'm not poking any bears here in doing it). I think everyone has the right to what they believe.

That said, I personally am thinking maybe ol' mother earth is a little pissy and we're about to get a bit of an ass-whoopin' in the next while. Maybe it's because we're looking for it - myself especially because I follow disasters as I'm involved in a group that does assist during them. Still, I am firmly in the believe pile in regards to climate change.

So now that I've kicked the hornets next, what do people think?
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
steyn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: The furry one.
Nightscrawlearth Character: :bunny

Apocalypse me now?

Post by steyn »

I think the only reason the Aztec's calender didn't go past 2012 is that they didn't bother calculating past it. Who in their right mind would want a calender that goes so far into the future? Why add unnecessary data when it's not needed at the current time?
The same thing happened with Y2K, people just didn't bother adding that extra two digits. Who in their right mind would want to add unnecessary data when it's not needed at the current time?

As for the actual earth's climate thing? Well, yeah, I gotta agree that that's probably going worse and worse as the human race's years goes on.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Apocalypse me now?

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

fourpawsonthefloor wrote: So now that I've kicked the hornets next, what do people think?
*shrug* This is also my opinion about the current economic situation. A bunch of shit that is completely out of my control. Why worry.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Apocalypse me now?

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I don't put any stock into the Mayan calendar 2012 thing. Considering they were conquered, is it possible that perhaps THAT is why they didn't continue the calendar? It seemed to be an ongoing project.

Everything else....wouldn't it be lovely is we could convince everyone that global warming isn't a political issue but actually an environmental one? Because as it stands, our politicians seem more intent on calling the recent weather issues some kind of divine intervention for whatever awful things we're doing that their party doesn't support, rather than what scientists have been telling us for years.

Case in point:
"I don't know how much God has to do to get the attention of the politicians. We've had an earthquake; we've had a hurricane. He said, 'Are you going to start listening to me here?'" - Michelle Bachman
[Edited on 3/9/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Apocalypse me now?

The Drastic Spastic wrote:
fourpawsonthefloor wrote: So now that I've kicked the hornets next, what do people think?
*shrug* This is also my opinion about the current economic situation. A bunch of shit that is completely out of my control. Why worry.
You know, there's a lot of wisdom in doing that. Though I have an avid interest in it, I'm not sitting here stewing either. Giant earthquake happen tommorrow and make my property seafront? Ok. All I can do in the now is to take sensible precautions (like having a disaster kit) and then just keep on living. I might get hit by a bus tommorrow and I may live to be 101. Worrying isn't going to change a thing, other than causing a lot of anxiety I don't need.
Kered
Lubber
Lubber

Apocalypse me now?

Post by Kered »

steyn wrote:I think the only reason the Aztec's calender didn't go past 2012 is that they didn't bother calculating past it.
Well, obviously, since my calender ends on December 31 of this year, that's when the world will end! But my phone calender goes until December 31, 2099, so that's a conflict of interests...... All kidding aside, I highly doubt that the world will be ending come 2012. Do you know how many times the apocalypse has been predicted? Way to many. And I doubt that everyone will be dying anytime soon. The only people who may be hurt by the "2012" apocalypse would be the people so freaked out by it that they end up hurting themselves. But that's just my opinion. :)
the Catholic church identifies capibaras as fish so they can be eaten on Friday
capybara bbq day!!
Every friday!!!!!!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Apocalypse me now?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I think if I don't get to see the Avengers movie, it would be the biggest let-down since they said "WE GOT SOMETHING NOW BESIDES BREAD" and it was just toast.

In all honesty though, I can't believe the world would actually end in 2012. I mean... there's a lot of awful things going on in the world sure... but isn't there always a lot of awful things going on in the world?

I think the ante just feels upped 'cause we're living in the moment. But can you imagine living during the COLD WAR? (Or for those who lived during the Cold War, jeez, I bet that sucked!)

The Bay of Pigs? The Cuban Missile Crisis? Or go back further. WWII? Hitler? Nazi Party sweeping through Europe? Bombing LONDON? I mean... it must've felt like the end of the world then too.

It's really just all in "the moment". A lot of people will cite "The Good Ole Days" but, in the words of Penn & Teller, that's B.S. It's all about perspective.

[Edited on 3/9/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Apocalypse me now?

It's all about what 'ending' means too. Ending as in bam, world blows up like those crappy old fake world blowing up montages they had in the slew of 70's-80's movies? Nah. Ending as in over a relatively short historical time period there being a drastic change that therefore forces some major serious huge haulovers? Yeah, I can see that.

I don't personally think I or anyone is going to be teleported to heaven, a la rapture style, but that's totally ok if others do.

I do think we're going to make huge adjustments in the next couple of decades - bigger than any other generation behind us has made.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Apocalypse me now?

Post by Angelique »

The Bible says some important things about the end of the world that we all can and should apply to day- and being Christian isn't even necessary. First of all, nobody, not even Jesus Christ knows when it will happen. Anybody claiming special knowledge of dates and times is either a fraud or passing off speculation as fact. We shouldn't take them seriously. More importantly worrying about it won't accomplish anything good. Ultimately, all we can and should do is to live as best we can while we can, both as if the world will end tomorrow while also considering that there may be seven more generations for which we'll be responsible.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Apocalypse me now?

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

The thing is no matter which belief you delve into (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism) it all pretty much goes about the same way. So I don't really take a lot of what the Bible says as fact in this department.

The likelihood of the world actually ending in 2012 is mind boggling. A lot of people are using this fake-made-up-physics and made-up-mathematics to justify their delusional theories. They do things like (shown in the Episode I showed above) count steps on Mayan temples and claim that this must in fact mean something.

So the Mayans were good at math? So they were great astronomers and calculators (for their time). But like Penn points out, they also mutilated virgins and did some other terrible horrible things in the name of their beliefs (including perhaps wiping themselves out??) and the idea that anything from that long ago, from a group of people who are so far removed from the amount of technology we have at our fingertips now, could be taken as the least bit credible? Is almost as much of a joke to me as a thousand eyed thinger from Heaven and a dragon and "A Divya Yuga comprising four yuga's and lasting for 4.3 billion years".
But I suppose that's just splitting hairs.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Apocalypse me now?

Post by Angelique »

The Bible says no one knows the day. Given how many people who claimed otherwise were proven wrong, I think it's safe to say that the what the Bible says there is a fact. The Bible also says not to worry- another good idea regardless of your religious beliefs or lack thereof.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven