The Government doesn't get the jobs crisis

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

New Jobs Plan = Unpaid Workers

Here's what really upsets me about this plan: it makes it abundantly evident that the government has no idea what the jobs crisis really is, and therefor have no idea how to fix it. The real issue in this country is the distribution of wealth, and how everything filters to the top and very little trickles down. The problem is NOT that people are out of work, the problem is that the economy is in such a shit box that there are NO jobs. The unemployment rate is not the problem, it's the symptom. By not addressing the economy and just "creating jobs" (using the loosest definition of that term), well, it's like treating a shooting victim who's bleeding out by giving them more blood but never stitching up the wound.

I don't get this. I don't get that we have presidential candidates who believe minimum wage should be done away with. So it's ok to have an enormous poor population, as long as everyone's working? WTF is wrong with our elected officials?

(PS: I love The Young Turks. There has to be other TYT fans here!)

[Edited on 7/9/11 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

The government knows exactly what the problem is, they're all just pretending they don't.

To answer the question they are greedy psychopathic self-serving and ultimately evil.

[Edited on 7-9-2011 by The Drastic Spastic]
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I think we're in for a very rocky time of things before it will stabilize. There's too many issues - the economy, drought, natural disasters and problems with the oil market (as in production will eventually plateau but the demand is getting higher - this will cause huge problems in everything). So...I dunno what to say. People have expectations of having it all and that just compounds problems with crippling personal debt.

It's a shitty mess.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

It is a mess, but the messiest part is that the US government has basically shown that the don't care about the people anymore. The debt ceiling "crisis" (aka that time when Congress hijacked the country and created a crisis where none existed) is the perfect example. The majority of the American public did not want the US to default at any cost but that didn't stop our elected officials from playing out their insane partisan games and taking the country down with it.

It really sucks. I want someone who's going to step up and say to hell with the parties, let's just fix the damn country. But that's not going to happen in this climate. It especially won't happen while we let our officials essentially be bought by corporations and serve them over the people of the country. I heard Sarah Palin mention this and couldn't believe I agreed with her on something. She mentioned that we need to have politicians become accountable and start to open up about the large donations they receive - and most importantly, what they are promising in return for these large donations. That's an enormous issue in this country.

Ugh, this gets me so heated. I highly recommend you all checking out more TYT videos. They are so so SO awesome.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€