This is revolting

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

This is revolting

Post by Jeremus »

I think you're right that we're talking about two different things. New Yorkers (and DC and Pennsylvania) had to deal with the physical attack... the debris, the fire, the injured and dying people. Ground zero. I may also never be able to understand the physical devestation after 9/11 that's continued for the last 10 years. I can only empathize with New Yorkers on that level.

But the attack was felt all over the rest of the country. That day was devestating to all Americans. This is my standpoint.

I hope that we were all just talking about different aspects of the same event because I feel very deeply about the events of 9/11 and for anyone to suggest that my comprehension of the events of that day or my feelings about it are somehow not on the same level as theirs just because of where I come from or who I am or some other catagory that I don't fit into, is just wrong.

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

This is revolting

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Jeremus wrote:I think you're right that we're talking about two different things. New Yorkers (and DC and Pennsylvania) had to deal with the physical attack... the debris, the fire, the injured and dying people. Ground zero. I may also never be able to understand the physical devestation after 9/11 that's continued for the last 10 years.
This is exactly what I was trying to communicate.
But the attack was felt all over the rest of the country. That day was devestating to all Americans. This is my standpoint.
Of course, I don't disagree.

I've not meant to belittle anyone's feelings, and don't think I do in this thread. Simply, I've just tried to explain that it is different for us who were directly effected. Thank you guys for understanding.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

This is revolting

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Jeremus has a way with words, honestly.

I think it's safe to say if you were shown the attacks (provided you were born after or were far too young to really recall) in a proper environment, I don't think it matters what age or race or place in the U.S. you're form, I think one can appreciate the true horror of that day.

And more to the point, I think it's crucial for history that we learn from it and not just study/focus on that day, but instead all of the falling dominos that led up to and after it.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS