The iPod Generation

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Scumfish
Navigator
Navigator
Title: SCP-3068
Nightscrawlearth Character: :selene :mayhem :icarus :warren :sabretooth

The iPod Generation

Post by Scumfish »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15066957

Not entirely sure this is a matter for debate or not, but I found it interesting.

The above is a link to an article about the 'iPod generation', raising the question of whether or not the iPod - and other mp3 players - have turned today's generations into anti-social headphone-wearing commuters who would rather shut themselves off from society than take in their surroundings.

I suppose to a certain degree they have, but I agree with the article - I find myself more wound-up by people talking loudly on their phones or listening to music without headphones than those who simply close in with the help of music.

Also an interesting point - I am cripplingly social phobic, sometimes to the point where I can't leave the house because there's people out there that I may have to talk to, deal with, who will be watching me etc etc. I can honestly say if it wasn't for my iPod, I would be inside permanently. The people aren't gone, but I've closed myself off from them, because I can't hear what they're saying and so - though I may come off as unquestionably rude to them - I don't have to acknowledge them. That anti-social iPod of mean actually means I can be social, or as social as my anxiety will let me.

I don't know, I find it interesting. Thoughts?
Those who know, don't say; those who don't, say too much.

Aodhfionn 'Fianna' MacDuibh's Character Blog (for Nightscrawler's RPG)

My (NSFW) Art/General Blog || My Trans Blog || My (SFW-ish) Art
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

The iPod Generation

Post by Elwing »

I'm old enough to remember a world without internet, and I do not agree. I'm not the kind of person who easily engages with the community, and the internet has greatly improved my life, because I can now find kindred spirits, and communicate with them on my own terms.
Can't speak much on behalf of "normal" people, but what is the chance of you and me, in different countries, with different ages, languages and cultural backgrounds, interests, and appearances, ever being aware of each other's existence, and being interested in each other's troubles if it was not for the internet?
The great strength of communication over the internet is that you cannot see the person on the other end. You cannot form an opinion based on their appearance, as you would do in daily life. A person is judged strictly on what he or she has to say. Liars and trolls are usually found out soon enough.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

The iPod Generation

Post by Ferguson »

I think this type of thing is more the previous generation seeing the next generation as 'young whippersnapper' ingrates more than this being an actual problem. Being social is changing due to technology, sure, and you may have to pull the earbuds out of a student's ear if you're trying to give them a lecture but I think people are just the same. Not many people just strike conversations up waiting in line or riding around on a subway unless there's reason to and I doubt that was any different before ipods and the like as after. Those things just give us something else to do just like reading the paper or a book in the same setting.