The Occupy Wall Street Movement

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

Can you quote the part of this very long thread you are referring to? All I have been able to find is complaints about competition by low-cost Chinese workers, one Valerie making a vague and unsubstantiated claim, and a plan by some Chinese gentleman to produce t-shirts and bumper stickers with logos. Well, that's a healthy business opportunity, all those plastic masks have to come from somewhere.

Did I miss something? Can you elaborate?
Thanks.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Wasn't it more like Canadian group Adbusters proposed an idea and then the internet-based (thus making it global), underground, rebel-rabble group known as Anonymous took the charge in actually actively "Occupying" these areas of the Wall Street.

My question is, where the heck are you pulling China as funders for this? Anyone can fund this. I know people who have dropped off supplies for those still in New York (though most of it went to #OccupyProvidence). There's people from the U.S., England, Morocco, etc... and all have donated some kind of time or effort to this cause.

And this
There are also the bought protestors who are getting paid to hold signs. If a movement is legit and sincere, why is there any need to hire picket line mercenaries? And where is that money coming from? Labor unions, a lot of which are just as bad as corporations when it comes to buying our government.
This really confuses me. Where's the evidence of this? And might I also propose that labor unions have just as much a right to be protesting as anyone else? I think the movement is one of the most legit and sincere ones to hit this country in a long time.

To put it rather bluntly, not a single person in America is in control right now, not the ones in the #OccupyWallStreet movement, not the politicians, and barely are the corporations holding onto any kind of control. If this country is a melting pot, it's about to boil over. And it's not helping that people are misusing/misconstruing/completely miss-labeling what "The 99%" means, what the cause is for, and most importantly, it's not helping when these Fox news idiots call Americans who are simply protesting, (their right as American citizens mind you, doesn't matter if the newscasters disagree or not), as "punks" or "hippies".

[Edited on 30/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

Angelique wrote:OWS is not grassroots, though. It was orchestrated in Canada and has a money trail going to China. I do indeed suspect there is political foul play in this- and the stated goal is to destabilize the nation. I'm not into corporate greed and politicians pimping themselves for campaign funding, but if people mean half the crap they're saying about violent revolution or knocking down a country that- flaws notwithstanding- is still a pretty good place- they deserve stiff opposition. Instability is not inevitable. If it happens, it is entirely the fault of all sides who are unwilling to cooperate.
In case you are implying that China is actively trying to destabilize the USA: While I am by no means a friend of the Chinese government, they are the greatest creditor of the United States. They'd lose billions if the country went down in flames. They can not afford to lose billions. No one really can.

Also, I don't care the slightest bit about whether the Occupy movement is actual grassroots or fake. Fact is, they couldn't do what they do and get so much support if there wasn't this enormous outright abuse of the unwashed masses by the precious few rich people.
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

It's weird that you should bring up China's benefitting on The U.S. being I just read an article in Time Magazine about how our economy is counting on China's growth to save the world... if their bubbled inflation doesn't blow it up first.
That's the size of the Chinese economy, now the second largest in the world, after the U.S.'s. China contributed 19% of global economic growth in 2010, and that's expected to increase to 24% this year. China's strength is essential to the recoveries of both the U.S. and Europe; if Beijing crashes, the reverberations will be felt from Boise to Brussels.
And plenty of smart people are worried that it will. It may seem strange to Americans who hear so much about the rise of Asia and the pressure of Chinese competitiveness, but there are big questions about China's future. For more than 30 years, the Chinese miracle has been built on cheap labor, cheap land and cheap capital. But the model is starting to break down. China's banks, which have doled out too many bad loans, are perhaps as troubled as those in the West. The frothiness of the real estate market in major Chinese cities makes the U.S. housing peaks of 2007 look positively staid. Inflation is growing, as are unemployment--particularly among the middle classes, for whom, as in the U.S., there aren't enough high-level jobs--and social unrest. China's own Premier, Wen Jiabao, calls his nation's economy "unbalanced, uncoordinated and unsustainable."
Meanwhile, the United States superiors sit here floundering, paying off CEO's and corporate hounds, drinking champagne and mocking protestors, and to make it all worse, no one seems to have any idea what is going truly going on.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

I do care if OWS is grassroots or fake, because they are trying to promote themselves as grassroots and fundamentally American... and lying about it.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

I'm not sure why this has to be fundamentally American. There seem to be many international connections, to the movements in Egypt, Syria, Lybia and the rest of the middle east, and to Europe, in particular Greece. There is a wind blowing.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

That's true, but right now #OccupyWallStreet" itself is about the change that needs to happen here.

Not that change isn't needed globally, it of course is. However; I think the focus is in America with this specific movement. And most importantly it's derived from the Wall Street banks/U.S. Mortgage crisis.

My personal concern is that as the movement spreads it will lose its focus, but it seems to be staying pretty strong here.

[Edited on 30/10/11 by Ult_Sm86]
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Elwing »

YOU hold the cock of the Empire in your supple hands!
Now that is an interesting way of putting it. I wonder who's behind this.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Seems like some changes are coming.

Even better? Bank Of America is losing their $5 fee for Debit Cards.
Small potatoes, yes, but steps in the right direction....

Also check out Bank Transfer Day! Seems like Credit Unions are benefitting off of this.

Here's a story about Credit Unions getting ready and an OP-ED Blog that is rather chauvinistic, in my opinion, about how this is wrong direction.

I don't buy most of the stuff in the Op-ED.

[Edited on 4/11/11 by Ult_Sm86]