Abstinence only vs Sex Education

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Hehehe! That is one thing my kids won't have to worry about. My son was like glomed to me for the first couple of years of his life, so he would come into the bathroom with me. He figured that pads were just a cool sticker and always wanted to help. I had to put an end to that eventually as it was weirding me out.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Not to reopen this can of worms..but I learned something interesting..

I went into the city a few weeks ago, and met up with my grandmother, and her neice and her neices daughter. They were visiting from California (eastern Cali). The daughter is 18 and a theater person, so they were coming to see some shows and such. We had some fab italian food, and she started talking about her high school....

One thing that stuck out in my mind: Her school does not have a safe sex program. They don't have ANY program. They do encourage abstinence, but it's not taught. NOTHING is taught. What do they have instead of a sex education program?? A DAY CARE CENTER. I shit you not. Rather than teach these kids about safe sex, they take care of the kids kids. Doesn't that seem...I dunno...RETARDED????! I doubt the cost of a few thousand rubbers to hand out is ANYWHERE near the cost of a day care center....
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Yay. An article showing the decrease in child births, and other issues.

Seems that the education is finally paying off. :)

Paws
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Couldn't find the 'flogging the dead horse' smiley, but yeah, I'm doing it. Because of this article.

I do applaud the school for changing with the needs when things proved inadequate for the students. I do understand that there is a strong belief of what should be done, but any parent can tell you how teens don't really do what their parents say all the time. Hell, you can probably remember how you were as a teen yourself. Maybe you didn't rebel with sex, but lets face the facts - sex feels good. It's easy for teens to fall into that because that rush of hormones makes you crave things. ;)

Anyways, yay for the adaptations. It's hard to do, but it's done in the best interests of their students.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Those articles are breaths of fresh air in the climate we are facing lately. More and more politicians seem to be jumping on the "abstinence only" bandwagon, even though time and time again it's been proven it does not work.

I don't get society's insistence on avoiding statistical evidence and meddling in other people's lives.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€