Another reason I am glad that I don't live in the US of A.

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

Originally posted by chicory
That said, I've thought for a long time that Heinlen had a point when he argued that only people who have 'served' their country for two years should be permitted to vote. (I don't mean military neccessarily - but there are a lot of volunteer opportunities that don't require going to foreign countries and murdering people). It's another way to make people less apathetic about voting, or that they have more of a stake in what this country does - because they are involved.
Amen! I've always thought that was one of his greatest ideas.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

What this guy is forgetting is that Vietnam is long done. The only people fighting this war are the people who want to be in the military. (And not everyone who'd want to join the military can, or I'd probably be flying missions over Iraq or Afghanistan right now.) Our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are not there now because they didn't have a rich daddy pay their way out of a draft. They're there because they joined the military of their own free will.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

We have a 'National Service' in here too, 6 months - 1,5 years

and every guy from the age of 17 - 32 years has to go trought it wanted or not.
InvisibleWoman
Lubber
Lubber

Post by InvisibleWoman »

hmmm... I love it in the U.S. and I would be more than happy to join and serve my country
Heather AKA InvisibleWoman
who says girls only care about our hair and nails... Can you say stereotype? Welcome to the 21st century!
Ketchup
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ketchup »

I never liked our government. :shakeno

my friend and I plan to move to Canada.
"Humor is the great thing, tha saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."--Mark Twain
chicory
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by chicory »

Don't give up so easily! If you don't like the way things are, stick around and try to change them!

[Edited on 25/7/06 by chicory]
For those who believe, no explanation is neccessary. For those who do not, no explanation is possible. ~Gino Dalpiaz
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

If you need help figuring out what you can do, and you're over 18, read Transmetropolitan - available in fine book stores everywhere!

But seriously? Get out there and vote, get your friends to vote. As much as I may complain at times, I do love this country and we have this really cool way built into our system of government to change it without the need to run or form a violent uprising.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
Mahatma Gandhi
(thanks, Slarti!)
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Ketchup
Lubber
Lubber

Post by Ketchup »

Originally posted by chicory
Don't give up so easily! If you don't like the way things are, stick around and try to change them!

[Edited on 25/7/06 by chicory]
I s'pose you're right...
I like this country anyway. :)
"Humor is the great thing, tha saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place."--Mark Twain