Marriage and Social Responsibility

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I found this article really interesting and well written, and it raises up a lot of questions.

One of my favorite quotes from it:
If wives would go back to dutifully caring for their own (and their husbands’) aging relatives, we wouldn’t have to spend so much on Medicare and Social Security. How great and glorious it would be, the right fantasizes, if we could transfer the social costs of caring for the vulnerable away from the public and back on to the shoulders of wives and mothers!

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I love how demonized the woman shown to be is in this. If only the woman would stay with her husband, take care of the elderly, etc. Granted, this is an opinion piece, but man. I don't doubt these attitudes exist, most especially in this country. America has a habit of making great strides backward of late ;)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

On the church across the street from me there is a big banner that says: "Civil Marriage is a Civil Right!"

It's been there for a year and I still don't know what it means.

-e
HoodedMan
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Lord Sarcasmo von Snarkypants

Post by HoodedMan »

It means that the right to have a civil marriage (i.e., a marriage that the federal government recognizes) is, in that church's opinion, a right that should be afforded to all citizens. The term civil marriage is used in contrast to religious marriage; a civil marriage may or may not be recognized by any given religion.
ACHTUNG! Alles touristen und non-technischen looken peepers! Das computermachine ist nicht fuer gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei das dumpkopfen. Das rubbernecken sichtseeren keepen das cotten-pickenen hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das blinkenlichten.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

I'm not dense. It's the word "right" that I don't get. :) And the exclamation point.

Call me overly symantic here, but I associate the word "right" with a level of inappropriate political zeal - such as the NRA and the whole "right to bear arms" and form a militia. It's a limiting word of separation.

For instance, the current thinking of the CDC on a public health care system is that it's not a right (like our current system of expensive private insurance), but a privilege - meaning that everyone deserves it not just those who have the "right" to it in the form of cash.

So whenever I see that sign, all I see is a weird mixed message. I guess something like "Civil marriage is something everyone deserves" would make more sense to me. It sounds much more open and welcoming than the current sign.

-e
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Post by Garble »

The only way wives could "go back to dutifully caring for their own" is if jobs went back to paying enough so that most families could get by on a single income.

Also the medical industry would need to "go back" to being affordable enough so that the average family wouldn't need to go into debt every time there's an injury or serious illness.

It's not even relevant to ask if married women as a whole should do this because they simply can't.