Imus and all THAT jazz

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Imus and all THAT jazz

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/1 ... index.html

A bit of info.

I'm sure we've all heard about this if we listen to morning radio, as it's been ALL over. And my two cents? WHO. CARES.

Seriously. Who cares? Of ALL the bullshit going on in this world right now, ALL the crap going on in this country, and involving the citizens of this country (WAR anyone?), we're focusing on what this old man said about a bunch of women's college basketball players? "Nappy Headed Hoes"? WHATEVER!! Seriously, the man has apologised profusely and has tried to make amends, and granted what he said was racial, but in NO way the worst thing any of us have ever heard. Especially within pop culture. And the fact that everyone has decided to DRAG this out makes it a far bigger situation than it is. It probably could have been forgotten after his issued apologies, but the big man Al Sharpton has to get himself involved, and God knows he doesn't stop.

The real issue though here, over race or anything else, is freedom of speech. And once you start making restrictions, where do you stop? It's hard to have laws that apply to one side and no the other, i.e. the unspoken "black people can but white people can't say________", which personally, I always found stupid, but respected it because really I find there's no reason to use the words on that list. But there is a double standard that's pretty well flounted and it's tiresome. It should all be free game, or its all off limits. I.e., a white radio personality can't rip on a black person, and a black radio personality can't rip on a white person. Which is ridiculous anyway. What happened to everyones sense of humor??

But main point: Who cares? Seriously? Did Don Imus REALLY wreck anyones life? Does he REALLY deserve to lose his job?? Is this REALLY what should be the focus of our news media right now??
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Imus and all THAT jazz

Post by Garble »

This reminds me of the Michael Richards thing.

It's not like this happened in a vacuum where humorists never ever say anything racially charged. Just look at anything on Comedy Central for more than a few minutes. Because it sells, it's chic to dance on the edge of bigotry when doing comedy. It seems to me that Imus and Richards just didn't dance as well as everyone else.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Imus and all THAT jazz

Post by Angelique »

What bothers me is that it seems the media is ignoring the fact that not only did Imus' remarks smack a bit of racism, he used a sexual slur.

In other words, it's okay to call women whores, as long as you make no reference to skin color or hair texture.

At any rate, freedom of speech goes all ways. Imus can say what he wants. And other people have the right to ask that he be canned.

I'm kind of on the side of it being no big deal. While what Imus said was covered under free speech, so are other people's requests that he be fired. And I think the network is well within its rights to let him go, as he did behave in a manner that reflects poorly not just on him, but on the network and his profession.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Imus and all THAT jazz

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I found it interesting that MSNBC pulled him off the air right before his big Radio-a-thon where he raises money for sick children, which he's odne for years. That's pretty low, TBH.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€