New Modesty Movement

The place to go for debate on politics, religion, sex, and other tasty topics!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

New Modesty Movement

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

I was reading this article, and at first I was somewhat agreeing with it. I mean, some of todays 'fashions' are really...ooky. I can't find a pair of shorts that don't show buttcheek when you bend over for my 5 yr old, unless I go to capris. That's ridiculous. I saw a girl around the age of 10, that was dressed in heels and a skirt that barely covered her undies and a shirt was...skimpy is the best way to desribe it. Yuck.

As well, I've had my fill of viewings of g-stringed posteriors in Walmart.

I think as a society we've become entirely WAY too obcessed about appearance. That troubles me to. However, then I got onto the second page of this article and read things like:
"The concern at the time was that the culture was sexualizing young girls. The backlash came during the Great Depression, when you see a movement to get women back into the home, in part to correct this culture of licentiousness."
The most recent attempt to turn back the clock may be a reaction to yet another sexual revolution: "Gays and lesbians are becoming mainstreamed, women make up more than half of college populations, they're becoming full partners in the workplace and there's a general cultural deconstruction of what gender means," Zeitz says. "We go through waves of progress and reaction, but you can never bottle these things back up for real."
Wait, whoa, what? Back in the HOME? Desconstruction of what gender means? I can't help but think 'who do you think you people are?' Women certainly can choose to 'be in the home' if that is there desire but they do not BELONG there. Jeesh.

Your thoughts? Do you think fashion has gone too trashy?

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

New Modesty Movement

Post by littlebamf »

Oh yeah, me and my housemate from college were having a similar discussion about this and we both came to the conclusion that they just don't make kids clothes anymore, they just make small adult size clothes. Seeing 10 year old girls dressed in micro skirts, cropped halternecks and tottering around in wedges is a pretty common thing for me and when I remember what I was wearing at that age, which was only a decade ago, it's unreal.

But yeah, the article started to lose it as it got to the second page.

People are getting too obessive about what you 'have' to look like to be accepted and the weight you have to be, the shoes you wear and it's getting to the point where you don't have a choice and with lessening styles out there you either have to be one extreme or the other. It's quite sad, actually. And fashion isn't adancing too much as we keep yo yoing back and forth between the 60s and the now and then the 70s, but with an 'up to date' twist on it all to make it new and fantastic when all they've done is taken three inches off the hem and stuck even uglier buttons on it.
JSherlock
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: FABIO THOR
Nightscrawlearth Character: Dr. Summers, Wither, Callie

New Modesty Movement

Post by JSherlock »

I agree that its disgusting to see little girls dressed up as miniature whores, but making women go back in the home "where they belong" is bullshit.

Society is really pushing the look a certain way campaign, but then, its been there throughout history, it just hasn't been able to be so widespread. TV and other visual media is really being used to the max.
"... Pirates just kidnapped the bride and everyone is laughing. God I wish I spoke Finnish."
:cyclops :storm :pyro
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

New Modesty Movement

Post by Saint Kurt »

Preach it sisters...

I don't know about this "back into the home" stuff, but I do know that it's gotten to the point where I don't even enjoy going out sometimes.

On a typical night at the bars in my town girls are dressed in clothes that would be appropriate on your average cheap hooker. The result: Guys walk around gawking like they're at an all you can eat buffet or something and the girls appear to find this totally acceptable. There are times that it actually disgusts me. I hate to sound old fashioned, but whatever happened to like... dating? You know, where you meet someone and think they're cute so you get to know them? Now it's like "She's drunk, hot, and not wearing underwear! I'm taking her home and gettin' me some!"

And yeah, the other day I had to get something at Target and I was like "hey, that's a cute little outfit for going out" and then I realized I was standing in the girls section. It was the kind of thing I'd consider wearing out to a club, not putting on my kid.

-e
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Modesty Movement

Post by Angelique »

I think there was a misunderstanding of the article. Joshua Zeitz, one of the people quoted, did not promote the idea that women should stay in the home. Rather, he seemed to suggest that girls who want to dress more modestly are anti-feminist reactionaries. That, in my opinion, is also wrong.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

New Modesty Movement

Post by taekwondodo »

Haven't really felt compelled to post around here in ages, though I do still lurk on through every so often, but this really got my attention. I've been having trouble with this exact same issue since my 13yo was a toddler, which was the first time I went to Target to buy her summer clothes and couldn't find any shorts that weren't functionally hotpants. She and her 10yo sister have been wearing mostly boys shorts for the last 2-3 years because they're almost knee-length BUT, in a very encouraging development, this year when we were working our way past the girls' department at Target on the way to look for some shorts in boys my 10yo stopped in shock, called me back and pointed out shorts that actually came down almost to mid-thigh in the girls' department. She was thrilled to actually get girly fabrics and colors in shorts she was willing to wear (eldest still stuck w/boy shorts b/c she's a dyed in the wool tomboy and liked the fabrics and colors there better anyway). And for the record, we're not religious and we're not particularly pro-modesty in general, just anti-dressing-little-girls-up-like-$3-whores. I'm hoping this is a trend and that it continues.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

New Modesty Movement

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

Yay! Glad to see you here :). But YES. I know a lot of moms dressing thier daughters in boys clothes for that reason.

To me, dressing your daughter in such a provocative fashion does many disservices.

- I think it implies that they should be more 'sexy' or pay more attention to their body than they should be thinking about. I've been hearing more and more 7-8 yr olds and up using that word, and obcessing about the way they look. ACK! My friends daughter, who's shes always tried to keep more modest, actually CRIES if you make her take off the whole ho getup. She's even snuck into her 6 yr old sisters (she's 12) skirts, so that they are extra tight and high. EEEP. To foster in them that early, and that vulnerable of an age that 'looks are all' is a horrible wrong to them.

- Is there any way to justify a size 4 pleather black vinyl looking short skirt? I think not. That was on sale at SEARS for crying out loud. Festish wear for preschoolers! yay! Not!

- increasing prepubecent girls 'sexual factor' is probabally encouraging mentally ill men who like that sort of thing. Eww. Like I want them getting off on that. Mind you, its probabally the innocence factor for some of them, but STILL.

I'm all for a happy medium, really. A bit of cleavage never hurt anyone, but having cleavage, buttfloss exposure, skirts cut to your crotch all in one outfit says 'whore' more than 'hottie' to me.

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

New Modesty Movement

Post by Angelique »

Heh. I'd been wearing men's shorts for years for the same reason. That, and I've noticed that men's clothing seems to be a bit better made and more durable.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

New Modesty Movement

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I can't wear men's clothing cause they don't make it in pear-shaped (hourglass if you're feeling generous). Hell, most women's pants don't fit me.

I like the big slut trend. Guys like to look at those girls, but they don't want to date them. Leaves the market wide open for "nice" girls like me. :D

Seriously though, I'd be freaking out if I were trying to raise a daughter right now. I read a book about this and it was scary. (Whole book is highly recommended, couldn't put it down, finished it in a couple hours.)
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir