Membership Approval

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Membership Approval

Post by Bamfette »

installed a hack that makes it so that an administrator must approve new accounts. It's turned off at the moment, as i want to make an adjustment before it goes live, and it's a 'just incase' line of defense for now... but if we should decide to actually turn the hack on, we would need to manually approve new members. so if you're new and can't post, that's what it is. drop me or C an email (bamfette@nightscrawlers.com) but one of us is on atleast once a day, so you shouldn't have to wait long, anyway.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Membership Approval

Post by Northstars Love »

Why the need for approval Jill? Is is because of what happened a month ago with you know who? Or is it just to keep out the bad apples?

I was just installed on my new webspace XMB 1.9 the new version. Haven't gone in it yet to check it out. I wonder if that will be an option instead of using a hack. Hmm...curious
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Membership Approval

Post by Bamfette »

let me know what features come standard with the forum, Ken. 1.9 is not actually available to the general public, yet. i am guessing you got it through your web-host, yes? if enough of the extra features come standard, i may switch over if you could slip the files my way... ;) http://nightscrawlers.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1685 lists features we had to install as hacks with 1.8 so you can check against that, or even just see where to get some of the hacks we use here. i hear there is a spellchecker in 1.9. sweet.

it was mostly incase something like what happened with you know who happened again. but it was also something C asked for.
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Membership Approval

Yes, I went with Aventure Media. I wanted a large space for file attachments. 1250MB space(only for fan art and OC artwork. I plan to host RP) 60GB bandwidth per month, just in case the forum board takes off. I don't want to lock anyone out. I have unlimited SQL databases too.

They actually installed 1.9 free for me Jill (one of the things they did free for me), so I wouldn't know how to give you the files you need if the new features is something you want here . In fact, I get PHPmyChat with my webhost. But I do not know how to install it.:( I will have to email you with more on it if you wouldn't mind helping me with it?

I'm still a novice. Still learning. Have you seen the books on PHP and SQL databases? :eek

EDIT--Taking a look at the hacks, I'm curious to see if they were placed within the new 1.9 version. Considering they were discussed mainly on the XMB boards. I will let you know. ;)
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Membership Approval

Post by Bamfette »

sure, I can help you, no problem. setting up a SQL database isn't that hard, and once you have it set up, these chats and forums come with install files that do all the work of setting up all the tables for you. Bamf Bunny is more tech savvy than I and though i can help you install the chat, he's the only one who knows how to fix a security hole in it.... then again, i could jsut send you our files minus our config file. as for what i need for XMB, just use a FTP program to download everything in the /forum/ directory, or wherever else a bunch of .php files are stored. it's those files you have to modify if you ever want to add features to your board.

and if you are ever sharing php files with anyone for tech support, be it for the forum or chat, NEVER EVER share your config.php
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Membership Approval

And that is where the problem lies. I need to setup the database for chat first before installing the files? Ok. It is easy to install they said. I've been to the page. It just tell you to install the chat in a top level directory. Which I do not know where that is, unless it refers to setting up the database first? Then install chat?

Again novice, but it is interesting to know.

Enough of this talk here. Going :offtopic--:LOL I need to check the statis on the new board, set it up, then contact you about setting up chat.

Thanks Jill! :D
Bamfette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Membership Approval

Post by Bamfette »

i don't remember precicely, it was quite a while ago, but i seem to remember setting up the database first, (email me ofr details, and i will walk you though it) then installing the chat after filling in the config file.... or maybe that was my blog. either way. similar beasts. i have the original zip file around here somewhere. i'll look through the documentation and get back to you.

top level directory in the chat's case just means the chat should be contained in a directory of its own. so you have your main page, then create a /chat/ directory where you put all the chat files