ANNOUNCEMENT: Hurricane Rita

This subforum contains announcements from previous years (2002-2015). These announcements may no longer be applicable.
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Derelict Landlord

Post by Saint Kurt »

Those of you who have been following the weather news may know that tropical storm Rita has been upgraded to a hurricane. It is off Florida coast now though areas like the Keys are getting hit pretty hard as it moves westward towards Texas.

One thing you may not know is that datacenters where Nightscrawlers' server is located is in Texas, directly in Rita's path.

The host has been very proactive about preparations in case Rita does make landfall in Texas and has assured us that they have taken steps to protect the servers and keep us online. (They also reminded us not to panic. Compared to Katrina, Hurricane Rita is a light drizzle.)

So that's the news about Nightscrawlers and Hurricane Rita. :rainy

I just thought you should know.
-e

Find out more about Hurricane Rita here.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Rita's been upgraded to a Cat 3 and is anticipated to be a Cat 4 by landfall. The citizens of Galveston, TX, as well as the Louisianans who are finding themselves displaced yet again are in my thoughts and prayers.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Northstars Love
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Northstars Love »

Emily - The X Dream is on the same server as Nightscrawlers. Reading from what they have posted in their customer forums they don't plan on any disruption of service. Let's pray so. *crosses fingers*

We need a fingers crossed smiley. :D
kladyelf
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by kladyelf »

Ive seen some pictures from what i think is Rita hitting the American Coast on the news ... Yikes, they just keep on coming don't they?
meddle not in the affairs of ficcers for you are malleable and easily .... O_o *stares* ooh is that a cookie?

Love your enemies - It will drive them nuts!

Crazy.... but in the nicest possible way....

To Stupidityyyyy - and beyond!

*after reading the latest gory/depressing "mainstream" comic* ....*sigh* that's it, I'm packin' up and moving back to the Eighties...
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

Well, it's that time of year. Last I heard, Rita got upgraded again. And while it looks like Louisiana will be spared Rita's worst (from my mouth to God's ear!), even the tropical storm force winds and rains on its fringes will be, I do believe, more than that place can handle right now.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Yes, Hurricane Rita is a catagory 5 now and due to make landfall on Friday.

Our host seems well on top of things. They have generators and fuel and if all else fails, arrangement for backup services in Kansas. As for us, I've done a complete set of back ups so if we need to we can temporarily relocate with very little interruption.

For a contingency plan, bookmark this place:
Don't forget about Notscrawlers.

If you find Nightscrawlers missing - go to Notscrawlers. I'll have the latest news on whether or not the server is in Kansas, under water, or whatever...

I must say though that at this point I'm more worried about the people there than I am about our internet services. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has had to leave their home for the first AND/OR second time. I can't even imagine...

Mother Nature is truly a force to reckoned with.

Thanks
-e
Crocodile Hunter
Navigator
Navigator
Title: is not a moderator.

Post by Crocodile Hunter »

Well, thats what the air pollution and other human made shit does in a long use.-

*fingers crossed*
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

Here's the report from where our datacenter is outside of Houston TX:
Latest Advisory: 11am EDT

Moving: N at 12 mph
Winds: 75 mph
Pressure: 28.35 inches
Next Update: 5pm EDT
The power is out in the datacenter and it is now on generator power. They have enough fuel onsite to power the servers for 48 hours.

It's hard for me to imagine our server just chugging away and running Nightscrawlers as though nothing is wrong with all that chaos going around outside. 75 MPH winds!

My thanks to the people to stayed to staff the center. I hope they stay safe.

-e
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Post by Elwing »

:(Not good out there. Looks like the server held, but that's not so important compared to the plight of all those poor people losing their houses. Again. No reports on lost lives so far- let's hope it stays that way!
Good luck to everyone in that particular area!
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

Post by Nandireya »

Saw it on the news too. It's looking pretty bad...I know I’m sucky for thinking it but they're getting all that lovely rain…way too much rain...dangerously too much rain...and we desperately need it...hope no one (beyond our server) is in it's path...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
Saint Kurt
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Saint Kurt »

And now we can say that Nightscrawlers has survived its first hurricane.

Yay!

-e