NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

Not.

But seriously... check this out. http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/ ... 170824.cfm
NIGHTCRAWLER

BENDIS SAYS “He didn’t get put in the third movie for no apparent reason so he decided instead to become a double agent for the Skrulls. [Laughs]”

SKRULL OR NO SKRULL? Well, we certainly want Nightcrawler to be a Skrull given the dearth of good stories about this once proud character in recent years, but he’s really just another X-Man—does he have the value?
So... thoughts? Or :whocares

edit: And this article is hardly stating who is really a Skrull. It's just discussing possibilities. This quote just pertained to some *stuff* we've been discussing rather emphatically right here on Nightscrawlers... Now, all Skrulls aside -

What do you think? Are the writers coming to notice how they squelched a great character? Wizard's noticed it. So it's not just rabid Nighty fans who care about his portrayal. Is this a ray of hope for our favorite blue and fuzzy one?

(Editted because silly me didn't actually mention the reason for this post. o.O)

[Edited on 7-16-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Angelique »

Oh, I don't know. Regarding your siggy, the first "this," didn't exactly hail from when Nightcrawler or Excalibur in general was, in my opinion, particularly well drawn or written. If he's a Skrull, he's been at least a couple along the way. ;)
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

Siggy's irrelevant. I didn't mean to start a Skrull conversation. I see I didn't even bother trying to explain why I posted this (o.O stupid absent-minded me), so let me do it here.

We've been discussing how Kurt's been degraded to nothing more than wallpaper in recent stories. Wizard mentions that there have been no good stories about Kurt in a long time. So someone aside from the fans is actually noticing. Isn't that a good thing?
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Angelique »

Yes, that is indeed a good thing. As long as they don't get any bad ideas of what more to do with Kurt. More adventurous, fun loving Kurt is awesome. Too much angsty, whiny, complaining, nervous Kurt? Not so good.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by love_of_bob »

I don't mind "angsty", per se. Just give a good, solid reason for whatever brings him down and have it develop the character, turn him stronger afterwards.
Part of why they so rarely do anything with Kurt is that it's in his template to be the happy guy who's solid as a rock. The characters they focus on are the ones with drama built into them - Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Gambit, etc. They have breakdowns, they lash out, they fall into one crisis after another...and that's not Kurt. It's not Kurt even now. With Kurt, you have to fiddle around and not make him too angsty, because that's not in his character, while still keeping him relatable AND try to give him conflicts that feel engaging to read about.
Kurt, as a character, doesn't need tweaking or power-ups. You can't slap the angst on with a shovel like they do with Wolverine. It's hard to introduce believable arch enemies of someone who never hates and is diplomatic by nature. All these short cuts that many time-restrained Marvel writers are used to taking, they don't work with Kurt. They would have to think deeper, but when there are deadlines to meet and plenty of other, darker, more conflicted characters about, I think most writers choose the easier option.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by neling4 »

If you want an angsty Kurt, he could angst about Logan. Logan is a great source of angst.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

But then the story would be about Logan...
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by Angelique
As long as they don't get more bad ideas of what more to do with Kurt.
Fixed that for you. It's not that they haven't been using him, it's that they've been putting him in crappy stories. The Draco... need I go on? I will anyway! The priest thing, the retcon of the priest thing which might have been even worse than the original idea, the Soulsword aka that thing which basically has nothing to do with the character but keeps following him around anyway. Oh, and all of those shallow "faith-wrestling" back-up stories which I've gone on about before. Overhaul. Now. Please. Give him to Weapon X, wipe his brain, and let's start over.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Angelique »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
As long as they don't get more bad ideas of what more to do with Kurt.
Fixed that for you. It's not that they haven't been using him, it's that they've been putting him in crappy stories. The Draco... need I go on? I will anyway! The priest thing, the retcon of the priest thing which might have been even worse than the original idea, the Soulsword aka that thing which basically has nothing to do with the character but keeps following him around anyway. Oh, and all of those shallow "faith-wrestling" back-up stories which I've gone on about before. Overhaul. Now. Please. Give him to Weapon X, wipe his brain, and let's start over.
They did that in Ultimate, and I wasn't impressed with that, either.

Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

You guys are making me cry. :rainy on my parade why don't you. :puzzle my dreams why don't you.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

They did that in Ultimate, and I wasn't impressed with that, either.
I was! I was freaking over the moon. Where do you think I got the idea? ;)
Originally posted by Feuerstein
You guys are making me cry. :rainy on my parade why don't you. :puzzle my dreams why don't you.
We're not saying it won't get better, just complaining about how it is/has been.

I like the Skrull idea a lot, now that I really think about it. If anyone at Marvel is reading, I request that the replacement retcon take place during the six month gap. That's right when he stopped being generic wallpaper and started being sucky wallpaper.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

I know. But I've been reading old issues, and I'm at the point where they meet the Morlocks for the first time, and just keeping thinking "Nighty was so awesome. SO COOL." And now I'm just depressed... -sigh-

(I still don't want him to be a Skrull. He's been boring, but he hasn't been OOC. What Skrull would say, "I could just gaze at the stars for months!"?)

What if we go to Marvel HQ -snerk- and picket outside!?!?!?
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

He's been totally OOC. He used to want to have fun and was willing to take risks. Now he's just... bleh.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

Post by Feuerstein »

Yeah, but still, that was all pre-return to the X-men. He hasn't been like that since the end of Excalibur. Even his alleged "return to playing the clown" phase was barely an attempt to unite the two personalities.

(Yeah, that's it, he's got MPD.)

So if that makes him OOC, then he's been OOC for ten years. That's a long time to be a Skrull.

*gasp* Maybe everything since the Neo has been Skrullcrawler!!! No - wait, Nightskruller!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

NIGHTY IS A SKRULL!!!

The Neo and the six month gap happened right at the same time. He was back with the X-Men for awhile before that but he was just a background character and not visible enough to really judge if he's in character or not.