Just the Doctor

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is just the beginning - talk Marvel on the big screen, small screen and everything in between. DC Cinematic Universe and independent comic creations are welcome, too - The Walking Dead, Preacher, etc.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Just the Doctor

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I agree that Donna was the most incredible companion by far.

And for the record, I have many other reasons which qualify why they're idiots, including hate-texting my girlfriend at 1 AM and cyber bullying her on her FB.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Crawler
Navigator
Navigator
Title: I'm Back, Baby!

Just the Doctor

Post by Crawler »

I think it's pretty clear Steven Moffat had intended River to be who she is from the get go. Her introduction set up her history and you knew we were going to learn it sooner or later. The twist we got was pretty great, to be honest.

I've always had a sweet spot for Rose. She was a great companion.
This message brought to you by the letter C.
Zack: I'm pretty sure our soul is composed of a series of toy commercials that ran from 1984-1988. When we die Hasbro does with us what they please.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Just the Doctor

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Crawler wrote:
I've always had a sweet spot for Rose. She was a great companion.
She wasn't my favorite, but she was my first, so she has a special place in my heart :). And her story was great, over two seasons and two Doctors, and she was the bridge from Eccelston to Tennent. Plus, I enjoyed her supporting cast, her Mom and Mickey.

AND she was the first companion to meet Cap Jack.
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Just the Doctor

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

You know, the thing about any fandom that I've found is that there tends to be 'camps' or 'groups' that push a pairing or character or event happening. Sometimes that means that there are cross purposes as there would be one group pushing for one hook up and another pushing for another (and then there are the groups that are pushing for like...the character and themselves. The sues. Oh me oh my).

Anyways, the point that I'm trying to make here is that they're all valid viewpoints and having one viewpoint or another doesn't make anyone stupid or idiotic. If people take something out of control then it is that specific person or sometimes a few people. Not the whole sub-fandom. And it certainly didn't happen here. ;)

BTW? Loved the rocket humping picture. Priceless.
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
Garble
Lookout
Lookout
Title: Weirdsmith

Just the Doctor

Post by Garble »

At the time, the hinted-at romance between the Doctor and Rose really upset a lot of long time fans because the Doctor had been mostly asexual. To this ancient, powerful being it would be like romancing an infant or a reasonably attractive chimp.

Having the human Doctor (aka "Handy" aka "Doctor Two") be able to love Rose back was pretty much a happy medium between the old fans that resented the romance and the new fans that expected it.

Poor Martha is pretty much the archetype for rebound-girl. Her unrequited puppy-love crush on the Doctor got annoying, but she did have some moments to shine (Human Nature/Family of Blood anyone?) and to her credit she did ultimately decide to dump him.

Donna rubbed a lot of people the wrong way at first because her first appearance was so caustic. (To be fair, her wedding was just ruined.) But she ended up being a really great companion. Rather than the old "what is it, doctor?" or new "you're amazing, doctor!" companion roles, she defined a new "Shut up, and show me the stars, doctor!" role and made it work.

Amy is quite unique in that she combines little bits of all that and has her own convoluted history. She's intertwined with the Doctor in a way that's never been done before. Personally, I always start to hate Amy when she abuses Rory (who's proving to be an amazing character all on his own) but then I forgive her when they show just how much she loves him.

River got on my nerves in her first two stories. Her arrogance and unearned familiarity with the Doctor just made me dislike her. That, and at that point her whole character seemed limited to a child singing "I know something you don't know!" By Pandora Opens/Big Bang, I had seen her actually being enough of a bad-ass that it makes her previous (later?) appearances easier to take. Now, I'm like "Hell yeah, River Song!"

But the first, oldest, longest running, and most significant companion we met for the first time this season in "The Doctor's Wife." Neil Gaiman has proved time and again that he can personify a concept and make you love a "thing." This was just such an amazing episode and changed everything while changing nothing at the same time. The end really captured it when the Doctor asks the TARDIS "Where shall we take the kids this time?" Humans will come and go but it's always him and the TARDIS.

That said, when I think of "companion" as far as Doctor Who goes, like most old school fans I'll always think of Sarah Jane Smith.
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Just the Doctor

Post by Indigo_Lady »

I couldn't have summarized my feelings better than that Garble. The Doctor's Wife was an amazing episode, and one of my all time favorites. Neil Gaiman is a genius.

Of the newer run companions, I like Donna the most. She was more the Doctor's equal when it came to a thirst for things unknown. I'm not terribly happy how it resolved at the end - Donna reduced to her previous blase' job and never knowing her importance to the universe. I would have liked maybe one more episode of her being part Time Lord. With the show's history of bringing back old characters for one-shot roles, I hope maybe we'll see her again.

And since I have seen all of the Tom Baker run (equally my favorite Doctor, along with David Tennant), Sarah Jane will always have a solid place in my heart.
Always a Queen of Narnia

There are no rules of architecture for a castle in the clouds. G.K. Chesterton

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Crap, Garble, that was an amazing response. And I never even THOUGHT to include the Tardis, but The Doctor's Wife was one of the best episodes from this season. It's completely true, companions will come and go, but it'll always be him and the Tardis. I did love in that episode when it was explained that while he stole her, she stole him as well. Amazing.

Now, I'm one of the n00bs. I started in with the 2005 relaunch. And still, when there seemed to be romance blossoming between the Doctor and Rose, I was sooooo not into it. It seemed to me that the Doctor transcended that, and while I didn't mind an unrequited crush on Rose's part, I didn't want to see them together. But then, as Tennant came in, I really really started to love their relationship. Not to say I wanted them to actually get together, but I was so happy with them having a platonic love for each other, and being willing to die for each other (I just watched The Satan Pit yesterday, and totally teared up when Rose was forced to leave him behind). They had an incredible bond, and I feel like it came from the fact that she was his first companion in a LONG time. They made it seem in the Eccelston days that he'd been without a companion for a while, which is why he was so apprehensive about taking her in the first place.
Garble wrote: Donna rubbed a lot of people the wrong way at first because her first appearance was so caustic. (To be fair, her wedding was just ruined.) But she ended up being a really great companion. Rather than the old "what is it, doctor?" or new "you're amazing, doctor!" companion roles, she defined a new "Shut up, and show me the stars, doctor!" role and made it work.
Spot on. Could not agree more. However, I loved her first appearance. She was bitchy, brash, but she was a bride who's wedding was being destroyed. And who the hell is this ass who came and stole her from it? Not everyone who comes in contact with the Doctor is gonna swoon, and that's what made me love her out the gate.
Amy is quite unique in that she combines little bits of all that and has her own convoluted history. She's intertwined with the Doctor in a way that's never been done before. Personally, I always start to hate Amy when she abuses Rory (who's proving to be an amazing character all on his own) but then I forgive her when they show just how much she loves him.
I gotta say, I find myself loving Rory way more than Amy. He seems like her little lapdog, but he's really so much more than that. He's like Neville - that doofy, seemingly weak character with remarkable hidden strength and courage. And when he guarded the Pandorica for 2000 years, how could you not love him? I do need to die a few less times though. Everytime he dies I get so upset!
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

But the first, oldest, longest running, and most significant companion we met for the first time this season in "The Doctor's Wife." Neil Gaiman has proved time and again that he can personify a concept and make you love a "thing." This was just such an amazing episode and changed everything while changing nothing at the same time. The end really captured it when the Doctor asks the TARDIS "Where shall we take the kids this time?" Humans will come and go but it's always him and the TARDIS.

Not a word of a lie, I tear up when I watch that episode. Every time.

(Yes I've watched it 3 x).

It's a hear-wrencher but it's such a great episode as well. To know that the TARDIS is in some way... in love with him, the way the Doctor always has been with her. It's great.

And the River Song reveal was fantastic. I think, in terms of companions or people-to-run-into, she definitely is a cake taker.

And as for my favorite companion? I suppose there's always Sarah Jane but I really think it's 'cause I didn't grow up with her as the Doctor's companion (being I never watched teh show until 2005), that she's sort of a secondary-favorite. I will say that I do love K-9 and get VERY excited when he shows up.

Also, I have a TON of Doctor Who wallpapers. If anybody wants some/all/one-or-two lemme know.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Ferguson
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Fergie the Unjust

Just the Doctor

Post by Ferguson »

I haven't met anyone who didn't enjoy Sarah Jane and I think I'd rather avoid hunting out any hate that might exist for her character and I might as well just say ditto to everything Garble said even though I loved Donna from the start.

Pretty much everything was right with The Doctor's Wife, the concept and the acting. It could have easily fallen apart under different hands by anyone really, I think.

But this
He's like Neville - that doofy, seemingly weak character with remarkable hidden strength and courage.
So, so much this. It's exactly why I love Rory.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Anyone catch the latest episode? I loved it. I'm pretty sure, though, the type of [spoilers]alien that George is[/spoiler] has shown up once before, hasn't it? In that episode a few seasons ago where the little girl was capturing people in her drawings?

Anyway, this episode reminded me SO much of an old Twilight Zone episode, where a couple wakes up after a night of partying and finds themselves in this deserted town, being followed by a childs laughter. That was the FIRST thing I thought of, and that made me love it all the more.

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

A variation of the picture posted earlier:

NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Oh lord, I'm watching Utopia and remembering how much I LOVE the Master! I really hope to see him again soon. I'd love to see how Matt Smith's Doctor takes him on. He's such a fabulous nemesis.

Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Loquacious Llama

Just the Doctor

Post by Elwing »

Can I just briefly comment on "The girl who waited" and say that this is amazing television? They may have beaten "The doctor's wife" with this one, and I did not think that was possible. This is the golden age of Doctor Who.
“You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy a bike and that’s pretty close”
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Elwing wrote:Can I just briefly comment on "The girl who waited" and say that this is amazing television? They may have beaten "The doctor's wife" with this one, and I did not think that was possible. This is the golden age of Doctor Who.
Totally agree. This was a beautiful episode. I loved Amy discussing her love of Rory, it was so sweet! And the most powerful thought was their first kiss. And the end? Holy crap. HOLY CRAP!

Sincerely, this has to be one of, if not THE best show on television. Every week it seems to get better and better.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

I wanna talk about cameo's on Doctor Who. For the most part, many of them were "before they were famous" types, but nonetheless, I really only caught up with the show this past spring, so for me it was "OMG!" when I saw them.

One of THE best episodes....ever? Yeah, ever....was "Blink" which featured the introduction of the Weeping Angels, who I have REALLY enjoyed. I remember watching it an being like "I know that girl" and was so excited when I realized it was Carey Mulligan! I really like her, and seeing her in Doctor Who was so fun. We've had her, Andrew Garfield (Spiderman) was in another of my all time favs "Daleks in Manhattan" (and "Evolution of the Daleks," the second part). Can I just say, PS, I really enjoy watching British characters try to play American? It seems to run from convincing to awkward to "WTF THIS is what you think Americans are?!" I imagine the feeling is mutual.

And then there was Kylie Minogue, one of my most favorite people on EARTH, in "Voyage of the Damned" which was a welcome addition. I love her.

What other cameos have you enjoyed?
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

I don't want to become that person but I have to comment on this weeks episode, and an edit won't get anyone in here. So here we go!

I was meh on this episode. It does seem that episodes alternate meh and OMG. But at the same time, I enjoyed it conceptually. I loved the stuff on faith, and namely on Amy's faith on the Doctor. That was a really nice scene between them, with him basically lowering her expectations and standards of him. And can I say, I'm actually kind of GLAD to see her left behind? I don't in the least think this is the last of Amy and Rory, but I like to see things swapped up sometimes, and I'm glad to see some Doctor solos

And next week: Return of Craig!! I loved him! One of my absolute favorite episodes last season :love
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Just the Doctor

Post by Elwing »

What if the Doctor Who theme had been written by Jacques Brel. Exterminez-vous!
http://youtu.be/p18w4VhL8zI

[Edited on 21-9-2011 by Elwing]
No.Na.
Lubber
Lubber

Just the Doctor

Post by No.Na. »

I started watching Torchwood on BBC a while back and fell in love with the concept of humans dealing with huge unfathomably tough problems, as well as (when at its peak) dealing with the psychological state of the human condition. I never knew it was a Dr. Who spin off until a few weeks into watching it an episode of Dr. Who came on and I decided to give it a try; I caught on surprisingly quick and fell in love with the show's whimsy. I say it like that because I knew dr. who has had A LOT OF HISTORY and I have this compulsion to start something from the origins and work my way up so I wont be lost. This being the time I wasn't torrenting so I could only catch the reruns and fill in the blanks (Which is suuper hard to do sometimes BTW).

Flash forward and after a year or so I caught most of tennant's Run with Donna, and really loved those two and was sad when that came to an end. I caught bits and pieces of the other companions as well as the previous ninth doctor (Don't make e spell his name I can't). I cried at the end specials of tennant, and was a bit apprehensive when Matt Smith came on being so goofy (Starting with the super dramatic tennet probably didn't help), but after a half season he grew on me, and I really love that his personality changed the show so much.

I hated Amy at all until "the doctor's wife" and after that I merely disliked her. which seems a bit harsh, but I have a major love for Rory because he's so sweet, and kind of a bad-ass (I also have a automatic hate for characters who are mean to nice guys); I have a few other reasons too but this has been the main one. In the past 3 episode though she has really grown as a character and I actually kinda like where she is going.

Though I still hold by my Idea that the doctor and little amy would have been amazing, and super cute.

Speaking of character I am not a River Song fan and I wasn't too happy about the reveal in "a good man goes to war" I usually don't watch interviews and it seemed awkward and out of no where to me, but like a lot of the eleventh doctor it is becoming less jarring and more interesting as more episodes roll out. I still can't say I like it, but if this half of the season is any indication I'm hoping for something cool.

Now that I have gotten into torrenting I have taken it upon myself to watch all of Dr. Who so I downloaded it all from the first episode of Hartnell to this weeks episode, and am currently on the tail end of the third season.

When going into the Craig episode this week I thought I wouldn't like it since I wasn't a fan of "the lodger" but I really thought the episode shined. I think this past half season has been wonderful!

Also Don't watch Torchwood: Miracle Day... it wasn't very good, It had a lot of really good ideas, and a whole mess more bad ideas. if anyone who has seen it wants to discuss I wouldn't mind

Last thing (Such a long response):My favorite companions so far are Donna, and Vicky so far I'll probably have more as I watch/listen up through the years.

[Edited on 26/9/11 by No.Na.]
For every good Intention is selfish motivation.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I was so impressed with Saturdays episode.

Craig is easily one of the best companions the Doctor has had in the last 3 seasons. (Yes I'm going so far as to say Donna's season).

Can't get over how funny Matt Smith's Doctor is with babies.
No.Na.
Lubber
Lubber

Just the Doctor

Post by No.Na. »

Ult_Sm86 wrote:I Can't get over how funny Matt Smith's Doctor is with babies.
I really loved the one sided dialogue he had with stormy. I feel like the one sided conversation is a lost art sometimes, I like that matt smith is good at it.
For every good Intention is selfish motivation.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Just the Doctor

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Smith is a very capable actor.

But then again, to be a Doctor, you sorta have to be.

:3

That said, yes, Stormy-Dialogue was made 100% of win. There wasn't a single part I didn't thoroughly enjoy. That episode is my favorite from this season, so far.
Elwing
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Oh all that flirting do I have to watch this

Post by Elwing »

I can't believe they wrote and acted themselves out of that one, and got away with it. Not going to say much (Spoilers!) But London-at-all-times looked like not such a bad thing to me, and nice nod to Indiana Jones (Rats!). I love this show.
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Just the Doctor

Post by Indigo_Lady »

Somebody please, PLEASE U2U me about what happened at the very end of this week's episode. My acursed DVR blipped out right near the end and I could have thrown it through the window. Last part I saw was the Doctor asking permission of Amy and Rory.

Spoilers

I can guess what was going to happen next but I want details. Was there a kiss? Does anyone know if the episodes are posted online? :?
Always a Queen of Narnia

Favorite X-Men: :engarde :storm :colossus :nocturne :gambit :rogue :hank :psylocke
Bamf Girl
Lubber
Lubber

Just the Doctor

Post by Bamf Girl »

Indigo_Lady wrote: Somebody please, PLEASE U2U me about what happened at the very end of this week's episode. My acursed DVR blipped out right near the end and I could have thrown it through the window. Last part I saw was the Doctor asking permission of Amy and Rory.
I was gonna give you a summary of the ending, but I think you'll like this better. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x6J0Mk_FXg

I think this picks up right about where you left off.

(Youtube may or may not take it down at some point, so I'd watch it soon) ;)

[Edited on 10/3/11 by Bamf Girl]
Indigo_Lady
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

Just the Doctor

Post by Indigo_Lady »

Thanks so much Bamf Girl, you don't know how much I appreciate the link. :worship

Wow, this show is brilliant imho. It gets better and better. I now have a new favorite episode. :dance
I knew Amy and Rory wouldn't be gone forever.

Guess now we'll have to wait for Christmas for another episode *pouts*
Always a Queen of Narnia