Messiah CompleX

The X-Men! Spider-Man, Iron Man, the Hulk, the Fantastic Four, Thor, Captain America, and more!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Executive Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Post by fourpawsonthefloor »

This being the soon to come major arc/crossover, plus the fact that I'm enjoying the endangered species stuff so much, how do you guys feel about this? Who's gonna be collecting the entire thing? Who thinks it will suck? (fyi, it starts in October, for those of you not watching its coming with rabid facination). For a good overview interview full of teasers see this.

I'm collecting. Kurt is supposed to go back to being more 'swashbuckling' PLUS Gambit has got a major role in it. Now that may not be appealing to all, but for me? I'm grinning.

Honestly, I have high hopes for this one. I want people to collect so I can squee with them! lol

Paws
I'm actually quite pleasant until I'm awake.
littlebamf
Navigator
Navigator
Title: Sometimes the bark isn\'t worse than the bite

Messiah CompleX

Post by littlebamf »

I saw the panels with Angel and was just gone on it. I'm going to pick up the first part, keep my fingers crossed and hope for the very best out of it.

If I am sorely dissapointed I'll cry for a day and sulk at you, though I'd much rather be able to squee with you. But eh. I'm just too pessimistic.
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Messiah CompleX

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

I wish I could afford it :(

I may collect the main book, but HoM ruined me on collecting all books. Or I'll wait til it's all collected in a trade like I'm doing with Endangered Species ;)
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
taekwondodo
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Messiah CompleX

Post by taekwondodo »

Sadly, I just can't be bothered to follow their hyped up crossover events that are just an excuse to force you to buy every title they put out if you want to know what's going on. It's a shame too, b/c Endangered Species looks like it is probably pretty interesting and I might enjoy it despite the lack of Kurt. I honestly don't buy any X-Books anymore and only collect Runaways in hardcover for the kids b/c they enjoy it. Even Ultimates is going down the tubes, though if they ever brought Kurt back to something resembling a personality I can tolerate and gave him a decent role w/a decent writer and decent art (both of which seem to be relatively rare in the Marvel!verse these days) I'd be sorely tempted.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Many Sticky Hands

Messiah CompleX

Post by Starfish »

Well, seeing that all of the titles that are part of this event are on my pull list anyway, I'll collect this.

Whether it'll be good or bad... I have no idea. I have higher hopes for it than I did for HoM and CW.
"The secondary penis slides into view. And they all lived happily ever after."
Kieron Gillen
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Messiah CompleX

Post by Feuerstein »

I'm excited! I'm definitely waiting for the tpb to actually buy anything, though. I'll just sneak into the store, read the issue, and cheerfully saunter off on my way. That, or I won't eat on weekends and use that money to buy comics.

I'm so happy about 'Crawler. Indifferent to Gambit (or Angel or Iceman, for that matter) but I also care about Rogue, and I like the general premise. :ninja
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Messiah CompleX

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I'm waiting for the reviews. Then I'll say either "huh" or "hey I should check that out!" ... but either way I'll probably never ever read it. I've just been lacking all interest.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Heh. I'll frisk around you like a demented puppy when I get my first issue and try and gain your interest. :P I wanna talk to people about this arc LOL.

Paws
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

More news on it, and the future of x-books

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/ ... 914864.cfm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/ ... i?id=11795

So...nighty is tagged as one of the ones most affected. That interests me.

Paws
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Messiah CompleX

Post by Feuerstein »

*goes nuts*

of course that little note for nighty may just be in reference to his return to swashbuckling

but nonetheless... he got mentioned!

I can't wait for this event. Do you know, it's going to be the first Marvel event I've been a part of from the start! Woot!
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Heh yeah. Me too actually. I've read peices of other ones, but never really collected the whole thing and anticipated it like this. Civil war just didn't grab me. This is. :)

Very very soon!

Paws
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Messiah CompleX

Post by Feuerstein »

I know! I can't believe it's a month away. I hate taking the subway, but I'll do it to get my comix fix this time. :dance

I liked Civil War to an extent... I only read the first several and the conclusion. I got bored in the middle. XD I liked most of the introductory stuff, and enjoyed the X-men segment. But it didn't draw me in.

I'm excited about this. A little worried (there's all those rumors that a certain Summers boy may make a comeback, which would irk me), but ultimately excited!
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

I think Jean will be back. She can't stay dead long. LOL

Paws
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Messiah CompleX

Post by Angelique »

I'm already frisking around like a demented puppy about this! (Actually, I don't think a demented puppy needs a reason to frisk around, but whatever.)

Of course, every single time a big crossover happens, it's hyped as The End of the Comic Status Quo As We Know It. It's become part of the status quo. So I'm not holding my breath about any huge shakeups.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Messiah CompleX

In fact, looking at X-Men past, it’s the biggest fundamental change in about 20 years. Bigger than X-Men: Reload, bigger than the start of New X-Men, bigger than X-Men #1.
Um, how about bigger than House of M? I doubt it. Which is why they didn't mention it. Maybe they're undoing House of M! YES! Stupid ass House of M! House of M was the head shot to my recovering interest in the X-Books.

I just find their choices for "fundamental change" to be really fucking funny in this case. X-Men 1? That was a transparent money grab, not a change. Same with X-Men Reload. Garbage, garbage. New X-Men introduced good writing and secondary mutations. Significant, sure. Fundamental? Not so much.

HOUSE OF M SUX.

[Edited on 28-9-2007 by The Drastic Spastic]
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

More news on it, featuring interviews and art and all sorts of neat info, updated every day, so keep checking back.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/827/827571p1.html
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Post by Starfish »

A (spoiler-free) review of the Messiah Complex One Shot:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=134047

[Edited on 24-10-07 by Starfish]
Kieron Gillen
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Messiah CompleX

Meh, I want spoilers! Since it's not out until next week, he's probably not even allowed to give spoilers.
AliceInTheWonderland
Lubber
Lubber

Messiah CompleX

Post by AliceInTheWonderland »

So, Messiah Complex is over.

What do think about it and the outcome? X-men disbanded, new teams etc.
Es ist nicht deine Schuld, dass die Welt ist wie sie ist.
Es wär' nur deine Schuld, wenn sie so bleibt.
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

I think it was a bit weak in the end - it was almost like they ran out of time and fit it all in one comic...it didn't give me the answers to some of the things I was looking for - but all in all a good ride.

I think that the disbanded x-men are interesting - how they are all doing their own things.

So far I'm enjoying legacy, though they are still in 'recovery' mode for them so it's all a matter of getting their feet under them. I'm happy to follow them as they drift for the next bit - if one of the titles goes blah then I'll stop collecting it.
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Messiah CompleX

Post by Angelique »

I feel the exact same way. All this hullabaloo about a baby, and none of the obvious questions like who she is, what her powers are, who her family is, what became of them if they aren't also looking for her, and so forth were even addressed. If they really wanted me to read the new Cable series that badly, they should have made the baby more of a character in her own right, rather than a mere point of conflict. I didn't ever find Cable all that interesting even when he shared a book with Deadpool. I'm certainly not going to like him any better when his only partner is a cute little plot device.

But who knows. Layla Miller grew on me. Maybe the baby will, but I have to know more about her first.
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
fourpawsonthefloor
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Dude, I still think that baby is Jean.
Starfish
Administrator
Administrator

Messiah CompleX

Post by Starfish »

Overall, I liked MC fairly well. What made it interesting was how it integrated a large cast and several books into a tight, suspenseful storyline. Even though that made you buy all the X-titles there were – which undoubtedly was Marvel's plan – the weekly schedule added to the appeal and almost made it into something like a tv-series. I remember looking forward to every new Wednesday while the event was running, and I guess any series that wants me read the next chapter as soon as possible must be doing something right.

Where MC really suffered, though, was the story's pacing and the ending. Everything seemed rushed, and while this didn't leave much room for boredom, it made for some problematic scenes. For example, the first fight between the X-Men and Sinister's gang. The X-Men were made to loose, but then it wasn't explained how they got away. They just did somehow and the reader was supposed to accept that.

With all that stuff going on in such a short time, it became obvious that it would be impossible to wrap it up all neatly by the end. And that's what happened. We were left with a rushed ending: Sinister dead before he could do something in the story, Predator X running around uselessly and then being killed off (what happened to the mental connection it shared with Mercury? Nothing ever came out of that.), the mutant baby vanishing with Cable, Xavier catching a stray bullet with his skull and Scott disbanding the X-Men. It all leaves you with a “bahwuh!?” feeling.

So, in the end we're left to wonder what the story actually accomplished in the long run. I find it hard to believe that the X-Men would disband because of Xavier's “death”. Wouldn't they try to work for his dream regardless, to honour his memory, instead of all shrugging their shoulders and going home?

What I think of the outcome... while the X-Franchise was suspenseful and engaging during MC, it's currently declining. What direction will the X-titles take now? With mutants still almost extinct (and MC not really fixing this yet), what now? You can play the “OMG, we're all gonna die out!” card only for that long until it becomes ridiculous. Currently, the X-Men are on their way to become “Avengers light”, because they're about to lose their purpose with Decimation still being in place, new baby or not.

What made the X-Franchise work was that mutants were the suppressed minority, but they're also feared, because they're growing in numbers and everyone could be one. You could understand why humans would fear them. They were afraid that mutants were going to replace or enslave them eventually. Now, all that is no more. They are not a minority any more, but just a bunch of people with powers, like everyone else in the MU! Why would anyone fear them now?

So, I have no idea how the X-titles are going to work out in the long run. Why has New X-Men been cancelled and the school closed? What were they thinking when they decided to publish Young X-Men? Who wants to read about hippies in San Francisco, when there are so many more urgent stories to tell now in MC's aftermath? Legacy works, but only if it doesn't go on too long. X-Factor is good, as always. X-Force is okay, but X-23 being back to Wolverine 2.0 is a step backwards. Young X-Men is rather uninteresting. Uncanny, I don't know. There are good parts and there are bad parts.

Right now, the entire X-Franchise it rather meh to me. There's no title I'm really excited about right now. Supposedly MC would fix everything and streamline the X-titles and teams, but to me it looks like the opposite. Maybe this will change in the future, but I honestly have no idea how they're going to get everything back on track soon.
Kieron Gillen
AliceInTheWonderland
Lubber
Lubber

Messiah CompleX

Post by AliceInTheWonderland »

Originally posted by Starfish

What made the X-Franchise work was that mutants were the suppressed minority, but they're also feared, because they're growing in numbers and everyone could be one. You could understand why humans would fear them. They were afraid that mutants were going to replace or enslave them eventually. Now, all that is no more. They are not a minority any more, but just a bunch of people with powers, like everyone else in the MU! Why would anyone fear them now?

everything back on track soon.
That's what I thought. It's like with the whole minority buisiness the backbone of the stories in gone.
With only a few thousand mutants left you can't call them a population anymore.

Bishop's future as it was reaveled in MC doesen't fit together with his original backstory. He was always after that traitor and now suddenly it's the baby? Which means he must have known about M-day and never showed hints of knowing. I don't think it's in character for him to turn traitor on the x-men like that.
And in his time mutants seem to be a population again. With the camps and rebellion. How do they go from a few thousand to that in only 80 years.

And I don't get the mystique thing. She betrayed the x-men(again) so that rogue could be healed by the baby, but wasn't it her fault that rogue was hurt in the first place?
Did she shoot rouge so that she could be healed afterwards?
Makes sense. Ok, she was also cured of that virus and the minds she had absorbed, but though...

I know it was a childish wish and unlikely to happen but I hoped that somehow in MC the effects of HoM would be reversed. Perhaps because someone realized that the x-men concept doesn't work anymore with almost no mutants left.
Es ist nicht deine Schuld, dass die Welt ist wie sie ist.
Es wär' nur deine Schuld, wenn sie so bleibt.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Messiah CompleX

Just read it, almost a year after it came out, I enjoyed it. Sad about the death of New X-Men but this crossover was way better than I expected it to be.

Also it got me reading all the xbooks again which I guess was their master plan with this. All caught up on everything up to this point now. I feel accomplished.