[December Spotlight On!] The Gift

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
NachtcGleiskette
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: The Ragin' Cajun

Post by NachtcGleiskette »

Gather kiddies and I'll tell you a holiday story. Once upon a time there was a man named Claremont. This was back, way back, before the Sages, the indominable wills, the Rubbermaids, Slipstreams, and BDSM. Back when he was in the infancy of his career, and he was defining the Xmen universe. That's what we are visiting this month.

A nice holiday story that really, is best to just be read in full. A small vignette called "The Gift". Here it is!: (PS images are clickable for your non-scrolling pleasure ;))

Classic story with our Nighty. Discuss!

[Edited on 30/11/07 by NachtcGleiskette]
"If you live your life to please everyone else, you will continue to feel frustrated and powerless. This is because what others want may not be good for you. You are not being mean when you say NO to unreasonable demands or when you express your ideas, feelings, and opinions, even if they differ from those of others.â€
kamizzi
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot
Title: Encourager Extraodinaire

Post by kamizzi »

Oh, nice one Nacht! It's a really warm story, but I don't know what I'm supposed to think about the ending... It shows Kurt as a very caring and sensitive person. I like it :)
:?
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Aw, so cute! I've read the synopsis of this one, and always wanted to read the real thing. How sweet!

And HA, more evidence to prove Nighty's sixth sense *cough*cough* :shifty
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
idsunki
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey
Title: NARC!!!!!

Post by idsunki »

Definitely a good idea for the story, but the amount of exposition and dialogue that could have just been part of the art ... well, typical Claremont in that regard.

Still, a nice holiday story for this time of year.
You always know where the X-Men have been
because it's always on fire.
Trigger
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by Trigger »

That was adorable!! I've needed something like this all day! That was a great pick-me-up. :D
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

I really like that story. Kurt is playful, yet sensitive. Good for the Christmas spirit.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

wow, Ghost of Christmas Present. Very cute, it made me smile. Kurt is kinda cute and kinda silly and sweet all at the same time. I like.
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Awwww, that was heartwarming. And heartbreaking. Kurt's MADE to be a mentor.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

That is a really nice story.

I was lucky enough to find a copy of that in a dusty box of back issues at my comic book shop. It holds a place of honor in my collection.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Am I the only one finding Kurt's image-induced persona creepy to look at? Whichever face he happens to choose? It's just so unsettling.
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

Post by neling4 »

Originally posted by love_of_bob
Am I the only one finding Kurt's image-induced persona creepy to look at? Whichever face he happens to choose? It's just so unsettling.
I dislike Kurt's use of the image inducer also, but I really like the story.
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by wingyding »

Nah, you're not the only one. It's kinda creepy that he looks like Errol Flynn jumped out of the screen at you from Captain Blood or something. I mean right down the the thong tied shirt.

But then again, if your other option is being stared at like part of a freak show, I'd be using an image inducer too.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Kurt should always be fuzzy and blue!!

:dance

[Edited on 12-3-07 by Feuerstein]
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Angelique
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Angelique »

It's kinda creepy that he looks like Errol Flynn jumped out of the screen at you from Captain Blood or something.
Heh. Errol Flynn looked nothing like that in Captain Blood. Longer hair, no trademark mustache, and definitely no lavender shirt! ;)

[Edited on 3/12/2007 by Angelique]
Meddle not with the heartstrings of fans, for we are powerful and hold your pursestrings.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6 ... &ref=share

www.heroesfallenstudiosinc.webs.com

http://hubpages.com/hub/characterdriven
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by wingyding »

Oh, I know. It's just the idea. The trademark mustache is a little midly villainous, don't you think?

(And that lavender shirt goes a long way into my OTP.)
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I think it's sexy. :shifty

I think the ending was ripped off from somewhere else (the blah blah blah about lights part). I had a friend give me a speech along those lines once, and he wouldn't have gotten that from an X-Men comic. Not his thing.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

That is what I really needed today! That was a great story!:clap
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
love_of_bob
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

Post by love_of_bob »

Originally posted by The Drastic Spastic
It's not the look per se (although the "blond priest" in particular will never fail to make me shudder), it's the fact that...it's not Kurt!
german_gremlin
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by german_gremlin »

It's not the look per se (although the "blond priest" in particular will never fail to make me shudder), it's the fact that...it's not Kurt!

I agree..the image inducer is only a hologram the Xavier picked just for him. Kurt didn't choose it, but it was better than him hidding. He went out and tried to embrace society which didn't want mutants in the first place.:yuck
"Hand over your beautiful venches, Captain Eagle...or face the wrath of the Dread Pirate Bluetail!"
Nightcrawler: "...I'm fine ...why are the gypsies dancing the lambada --?" #UXM 366
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

That's exactly why I like it. I don't usually like the look they stick him with (don't like this one!) but the whole "hiding" thing just gets me right there. :naughty

I'm a sick puppy.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

That was ....really deep. I enjoyed that verily.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS