X-men Shoujo Manga

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by the_lone_bamf »

About the masks: (the ones people posted pictures of, which isn't what I think he's wearing) It's actually a courtesy thing. In a country where the population is so dense- when you have a cold or some other communicable disease, you wear one of those masks as you ride on the train/go to work etc. It's sort of like covering your mouth when you cough or something.

I can understand why a lot of you aren't thrilled about the overly pretty versions of some of these characters- but... y'know, that's the style they were going for. Clearly this manga is intended to find new readers, not appeal to hardcore fans.

Things nobody has mentioned-
*That tail doesn't look... 100% real... It's got like... links in it. If that's some kind of armor.... err...weird. Any chances it might be synthetic somehow? (Might we be dealing with a synthesised Kurt? Didn't Evo have some story like that? XD Geez- can't they just let the boy have a normal birth???)
*The tattoos! yay or nay? I kinda like them. Overall, his appearance is LEAPS AND BOUNDS more interesting (whether you love it or hate it) than Icecube's.

(Also, the ninja mask sorta makes sense when you think about it. I doubt it's a fashion accessory, it's probably something he wears on missions. Kurt's got some stealth skills, so I could see him being the covert-sneak-thief of the team on missions. Honestly, does it make less sense than western comic book girls fighting crime in heels and thongs?)

[Edited on 19-5-2008 by the_lone_bamf]
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Freak »

I'd say they go for the ninja fashion too. I mean, it's not like they show up that much in these girly mangas, but I guess they'll have as much Japanese stuff in there as possible, in order to Japanize our not that Japanese mutants.

On a side note: There is already a mangaverse of Spiderman and I didn't think it was that bad :)
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
neling4
Lookout
Lookout

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by neling4 »

I intend to try to get this series. I have never read Manga, but I'll try anything with enough Kurt in it. I think the characters look fine, although, it might take me a while to get accustomed to Totoro/Beast. He is rather cuddly, and I like Hayao Miyazaki's Totoro, which is an excellent movie, by the way...one of my favorites.

[Edited on 20/5/08 by neling4]
R.I.P. Nightcrawler. 1975 - 2010

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by the_lone_bamf »

I sort of wonder if Totoro-McCoy is going to be blue? I mean, I assume he would be.... no reason to change it... (Haha, although if there was ever a Dark Beast- it would look JUST like Totoro...) Still... wasn't that design MADE to be a plush/pillow?
Image Image
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Originally posted by the_lone_bamf
I sort of wonder if Totoro-McCoy is going to be blue? I mean, I assume he would be.... no reason to change it... (Haha, although if there was ever a Dark Beast- it would look JUST like Totoro...) Still... wasn't that design MADE to be a plush/pillow?
I assumed it was going to be a B&W book.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bobj1
Lubber
Lubber
Title: Banned

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Bobj1 »

BEAST IS TOO CUTE!! AHHH IT DOESN"T LOOK A THING LIKE BEAST!!!! AHHHH NIGHTCRAWLERS GOTH!!!! RUUNNN FROM MANGA RUUUUNNNNNNNN! BOBBY LOOKS WEIRD RUUUUNNNN!
Love das flockige
Butt Monkey
Butt Monkey

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Love das flockige »

OMG Beast DOES look like Miyazaki's Totoro! As for the other characters...the art calls to mind Miwa Ueda's work (Peach Girl) crossed with character design from Death Note. I read a lot of manga, so the design didn't surprise me, it's VERY manga-ish, all of them. For a shoujo manga, it looks really good, except for beast's look. They could have gone another route? :shame:yuck
Support Love's business, visit Kinosei: Plushies by MG

http://plushiesbymg.wordpress.com
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Ok guys- I stand corrected. Apparently I missed this fashion trend in Japan (and... yeah- I actually do pay attention)- the masks are sorta part of the goth/punk scene at the moment. I was at an anime con recently, and a LOT of the vendors had some masks like the one Kurt is wearing. I guess it ties in nicely with the... err... 'medical' goth look? (Things like medical eyepatches aren't rare in some goth outfits.) Anyways- someone was just doing better fashion research than me. I lose.
Image Image
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

Get your pre-orders in y'all.

http://www.amazon.com/X-men-Misfits-X-M ... 034550514X

I think this is the same thing? It looks like Kitty is in a love triangle with Scott and Bobby or something?

So much for early 2009! That's now.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Nandireya »

Doesn't the best friend usually pine after the lead in these things? I hope they don't turn Kurt into some wussy boy with hearts for eyes when he's around Kitty...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

Nandireya wrote:Doesn't the best friend usually pine after the lead in these things? I hope they don't turn Kurt into some wussy boy with hearts for eyes when he's around Kitty...
No, I think he is the gay best friend. He looks gay anyhow.

Not really kidding.
Nandireya
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler
Title: The Librarian

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Nandireya »

You want to fan the flames of Kurtage outrage again?

But they all kind of look gay...but that's just the way they're drawn...too pretty to be real...
:read The Librarian ~ Keeper of Elfin Facts :read

:bamf I'm sick of my subconscious...it's like it's got a mind of its own... :bamf

:D A Touch Of Velvet :D
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

Nandireya wrote:You want to fan the flames of Kurtage outrage again?

But they all kind of look gay...but that's just the way they're drawn...too pretty to be real...
But he is a "cool" "Goth" character. Men who care about fashion are the exception to the pining best friend character... right?
Jeremus
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Jeremus »

As long as Kurt's not evil, I'll read it. It'll just be another variation from another universal dimension. But I'm not crazy about Anzu's art. I like the art in the Wolverine manga....(Wilson Tortosa?)
Beast DOES look like Totoro. Maybe they're thinking about mass producing cute little over-stuffed "Beast dolls" for the girls if the manga turns out to be popular.
I think the mask for Kurt is definitely "ninja-ish".....and look what I found in the 'smilies' selection!::ninja
(Manga Ninja Kurt! How could they have known?)

(Can't find "Goth Kurt" in smilies.....:()

[Edited on 01/19/09 by Jeremus]
zanfandel
Lubber
Lubber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by zanfandel »

I think everyone hit the nail right on the head: Hank McCoy=Totoro. I have no idea where they are going with that, I think it's nice they kept the X-tie and spectacles.

As for Kitty, the Japanese like to play off of names, but this is rediculous in a funny way. I wonder if she's going to wear those cat-ears in the manga itself lol. I'm also glad to hear that she and Kurt are best friends here too.

The Mystique design is really good, but agreed, she looks young. So does Magnus!

I think they did a pretty good job with Kurt. They just played up his "demon" side a little bit, which doesn't surprise me. It's strange actually seeing him with pupils though. But then again, evo Kurt had pupils.

...that's....Wolverine?....no comment.

All in all, I might pick it up and take a skim. The decision on weather or not I'll like it lies in plot and subject matter. It looks like an interesting take on the characters though. I hope they at least retain all of their character traits.
Storm: Sometimes anger, can help you survive.

Nightcrawler: So can faith.
Bamfing_Bob
Lookout
Lookout

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Bamfing_Bob »

Yeah, I know I want to read it, but I'm not sure I wanna buy it... I'm really not gonna be that picky about looks so long as the character isn't ruined. Like a non-feral Wolvie or friendly Magnus or anything like that.
For funny tweets from NIGHTCRAWLER, follow my humor account http://www.twitter.com/fuzzybluejerk and spread it around to your comic friends!
Vaiyala
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Vaiyala »

The only thing I don't like about Kurt's design is the tail... For some reason, it looks like it's attached (as in, it's made of metal or something and just stuck on there). Ah, I can't explain.

And Beast...? :eek:LOL Is that supposed to be scary? I totally though of Totoro as soon as I saw that!
What is the meaning of life, my dear?
What is the meaning of all you hold near?
Why is it that you cry at night
when there's no one around you to hear?

~~Myspace~~ :computer

~~Deviantart~~ :bunny
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Mistress_D »

I've been an anime/manga fan almost as long as I've been a Kurt fan (over a decade! :eek ), and through experience, I may have picked a few things up along the way. For those of you who never read manga and don't quite get the art style, all you need to understand is the style of this book. It's in the title, "shojo"; according to my books and online, shojo is a specific style of manga made for young girls. If you've ever seen "Sailor Moon", that's the best representation of this style. The stories are light-hearted and generally revolve around romance and adventure. The art is non-threatening and cute, geared towards girls. So, the guys are good-looking and young and the characters are never scary-looking. This explains Beast, who looks like a giant teddy bear! It also explains Kurt when you think about it.

Well, that and in the eastern culture, Kurt resembles nothing like a demon. My theory is, since the theme of the book is cats, Kurt's look as well resembles an anthropomorphic feline, also a popular archetype in anime. So as some of you have noticed, Kurt's spaded tail is fake. The spaded tip is definitely metal and appears almost like another piercing. The base could be either metal as well or could just be a cover for the feline tail. Also this means that those are definitely claws on the hands.

With all this in mind, I've actually grown fond of Kurt's look. And the goth fashion is definitely a bonus! :love The mask is definitely the surgical trend as well. You can see where the threads attach to loop around the ears. It's all truly a Japanese goth look.

It's all very exciting and thanks to you guys for pointing it out. The official release is July 28, and it's a traditional manga format. This means it's a trade paperback form with black and white illustrations. So this may not be for everyone, but definitely it should be worth a look. ;)

Find the cover, and official information and orders at http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/manga ... 0345505149.

[Edited on 31/3/09 by Mistress_D]

[Edited on 31/3/09 by Mistress_D]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Link is broken.

I dunno how I feel about this.... Some of the artwork looks drastically different (to the degree where it may even be another artist entirely) from the artwork previous or after it.

Kurt looks a little ridiculous too. Not awful, but... just not the best.

And Jean's hair style, personally, is reminiscant of Liz.
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
Mistress_D
Lubber
Lubber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Mistress_D »

Oh sorry for the link, I need to brush up on my html. I'm sure you can follow links from the homepage.
Toxo
Lubber
Lubber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Toxo »

I'm...speechless.

I'm not very excited of the "let's turn X-men into girly manga, teehee"-idea. Makes me a bit sick. I'm not a big fan of mangas, either, but I DO enjoy those that actually know how to seperate masculinity and feminity, unlike this manga, it seems.

Some of you have said that they're gay-looking, because they're too pretty to be real. I don't really see what's so pretty in them. Maybe I'm just biased, though. And I seriously don't see what's so gothic about Kurt's design. He looks more like a metal head or a motorist or something. :P

Well, I do hope they won't mess up the characters...Even though from the looks of it, it'd be asking too much.

...Gosh, I'm such a pessimist.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

I wonder why this was delayed so long. Even though I doubt it will be very good, I really want to read the damn thing already.
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

X-men Shoujo Manga

Okay, I swear this thing was supposed to come out in June, but now Amazon has the date as August 11. What's the fucking problem?
LIV4TheObsession
Bilge Rat
Bilge Rat

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by LIV4TheObsession »

The Drastic Spastic wrote:Okay, I swear this thing was supposed to come out in June, but now Amazon has the date as August 11. What's the fucking problem?
Usually Manga gets delayed because the publisher takes their time translating it. But I'm not even sure if this book was ever even in Japanese...
DeviantArt: http://liv4theobsession.deviantart.com/

"Your life is not back and white but it is the million shades of grey that make you who you are." ~ Unknown
Fuzzy_Dudette
Lubber
Lubber

X-men Shoujo Manga

Post by Fuzzy_Dudette »

I bought this, and here's the low-down:

Kitty goes to Xaveir's and is the only girl there. Prof X can walk. She becomes a memeber of the Hellfire club, the member are: Havok, Angel, Pryo, Quicksilver, Forge and Longshot. Iceman bascily forgets she's there, ALL the time. Beast :hank looks like a gaint blue hamaster, Storm :storm has a mohawk and Magneto is really young. She becomes Pryo's girlfriend. Then it;s Gym-Class, she's Kurt's partner. Kurt explains his powers and has HUGE finger nails in fact, I think they're stuck on the end of his fingers... :stunned Yeah, so then Kitty meets Gambit :gambit and Collussus if FAT when he's all metal. Then there's this big fight scene at the end between Bobby and Pryo and Iceman gave Kitty a ice-heart...

That's it bascily, but in the next volume Jean's gonna come back and they'll be more girls there so we'll just have to wait and see. Wow, this is my first post let's dance and poke Logan! :dance :poke