Ult Kurt in Ult Spider-man

All Nightcrawler, all the time! THE place to discuss everyone's favorite fuzzy elf in all his various incarnations!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate
Title: Passive Antagonist
Nightscrawlearth Character: :hellboy :r2

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Guess what?!?!

:bamf :bamf :bamf

Ultimate Nightcrawler will be appearing (according to the cover) in the next couple of issues of Ultimate Spider-Man. The Arch is "Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends" So you can only imagine what it relates to? Anyways, the last page was Magneto telling Liz (in response to :"what is that?") that he is in fact "Destiny."

Magneto vs the Amazing friends. I cannot stress enough what nostalgia this brings back! Classic episode is one of the most powerful mutants being beaten by Iceman, Spider-Man and Random Fire Chick.

Anyways, Kurt is on the cover for the Next Ish, so I'm letting all you fellow Blue-Fuzz-heads know that he's in it. (Along with Scott, Jean, Colossus, Ororo, and Logan)

:worship

Finally Ult :tail meets :spidey
SO PSYCHED!
R.I.P. Ultimate Peter Parker :spidey 6/22/11 USM#160
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
┗[© ♒ ©]┛ ROBOT HAS NO USE FOR FEELINGS
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Having recently become really interested in the affairs of Ultimate 'Crawler... I'll probably take a peek at these. Thanks for the heads up!
Image Image
"Every living creature is unique-- it is a part of our charm."
Freak
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Doctor Nemesis

Post by Freak »

I might point out that random fire chick is Firestar :tonguewag

Also, seeing that Kurt in his own book is still the leader of the Morlocks, not to mention fighting Apocalypse, I'm wondering about the timeline :shifty
:freak :andreas They're fighting!
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Ultimate Spider-man (according to bendis) is like six months behind X-men. What time of the year is it in ult x-men right now? In USM its right before summer break.
Read my reviews on SuperiorSpiderTalk.com! I'm a real, honest-to-goodness, published comic reviewer!
"It's not your fault. Listen to me. It's NOT. YOUR. FAULT." - a seismologist getting all territorial
Slarti
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Title: Damn Not Given
Nightscrawlearth Character: :icey :phoenix

Post by Slarti »

Thank you, Freaky! I was about to say - random fire chick?! She was my favorite!

Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I always want to say firestarter ...cuz her name is such a rip off of another character...from another universe...

(STARfire)
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

So- based on comic book chronology- this is before Ultimate-Kurt goes all Phantom-of-the-Opera and kidnaps Dazzler?

It would be nice to see him in a story where he's not gay bashing, being unreasonably moody or.. just... freaking people out. I have high hopes! :bounce
Image Image
Feuerstein
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber

Post by Feuerstein »

Hm, even if USM is taking place earlier than UXM, is it really possible for it to take place before nutjob!kurt? But I guess they'd pass it off as a brief moment of sanity... He didn't all nuts all the time.

It's just, you know, more continuity complications to work out. >.<

But who am I kidding? If Kurt shows up I will squeeeee. I only read UXM for Kurt and when he disappeared with the Morlocks I was like forget this! Hopefully the cover can be trusted and we'll get a glimpse of him.
Steyn: Oh sweety, no, the elvis boys are across the street at the wolverine forum
Tessa: LMAO
Steyn: here we do Paul Young
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

I know that Bendis did not approve of Kurt's morlock escape. Maybe this is his way of personally rectifying it?
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Ha... 'Morlock escape' - otherwise known as "Putting Nightcrawler on Ice 2.0".

I have love even for nutjob!Kurt. :D
Image Image
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Sorry, I couldn't handle nutjob!Kurt. I am not up on 35 years of Nightcrawler, mostly hit-&-miss following whatever's at the library, but I have raised 4 teenagers and I don't want to deal with that kind of thing when I "escape" into a comic book. I hated the UXM Kurt arc so much that I wrote my own addenda to it (3 vingettes so far), after the scene in which Rogue visits him in the infirmary or lockdown or whatever, to smooth out the rough edges in my feelings from seeing a playful, witty character turn into someone you have to visit in the psych ward (been there, done that). (I called it "Sympathy For The Weapon X Devil," showing my age!)

ANYway, that put me off UXM for good. Then I read the thread about him going' all Moorlocky, and my first reaction was, bleh! Stick the guy in the sewers, what a wonderful reaction to diversity and tolerance. (Don't get me started on diversity and tolerance.) But then it made sense; he's a man made to live in the shadows. Always had a compassionate heart, even the swashbuckler original. So, yeah, I could learn to hang with him leading the odd folk down below, kinda fitting.

But my personal "issues" always intrude, and one of my current issues (I am going sooooo OT here, in a way) is how we shunt handicapped people to the sidelines (not that NC is handicapped, but he is visibly different, like a kid in a wheelchair eating from a tube into her stomach). I do it, too: there are tons of places I don't go just because I don't think my granddaughter will be able to participate (long story), and writing Kurtfic helps me look at this from a fantasy-based perspective. So, putting him underground is kind of a reflection of how we treat people who are different: good, found yer niche, stay outta the way.

Of course, I am probably off-base about the character. Insight into human nature is not my forte.

Sorry if I yanked this thread fifteen different ways into OTdom.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Elfdame- I TOTALLY understand what you mean and how you feel about the sort of... ham fisted way Kurt's been handled in Ultimate. When summarizing things for my friends (not that any of us have kept up with it recently) I classified the coma a "putting Kurt on ice" and the morlocks as "Putting Kurt on Ice... 2". It's a convenient way of saying "He's doing something significant" without actually having to "waste" time writing things for him to do.

But yes- I'm with you. I had a minor hissy fit reading the hospital scene with Rogue, and when chatting described that as "possibly the meanest thing anyone has ever done or said to any version of Nightcrawler". Even my hardcore comic (Wolvie fan) friends had a "Whoa. That's not right." moment.

Better for me to say- I have sympathy for the side of Nightcrawler that I'm sure exists in that universe, but isn't making it on to the page. I too am writing some fics in that universe because I feel there's definitely territory to be explored. I'm definitely interested in reading the fic you wrote! Is it here on the forums?
Image Image
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

scene with Rogue

Post by Elfdame »

Actually (speaking from the *other* side of my face) I did think the scene with Rogue was well-written. Emotional punch, left Reader wanting more. Makes one wonder what she saw (unless it was just the killing from the beginning part, or perhaps his normal straight-boy-teen desires, whatever).

Very poignant.

I didn't necessarily object to what she said, but more that they tried to make him, as it is so eloquently expressed here, nutjob!Kurt.

I am soooo glad you understood why that whole take on his character bothered me. I haven't read all the angsty-priest stuff, and I can understand why The Creator (late Dark Bamf) was disgusted with that turn, but to me, UltKurt is just as bad. Wolverine is bent, not broken, in any version, but UltKurt is not the kind of person into whose thoughts you want to delve. The tear in his eye in that last panel, now that did give one some positieve insight, but still ... ugh. I dealt with too many teenage breakdowns in my own home to want to read about it when I "escape" into comics.

I have no plans to post my version of Ult-nutjob!-Kurt; however, I would LOVE to read what you wrote (hint, hint). I loved your drawing.

Ta-ta for now.
"Humanity is a parade of fools, and I am at the front of it, twirling a baton." From Chapter 9 of _Brother Odd_ by Dean Koontz / from Chapter 10: "Life you can evade; death you cannot."

the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

Looks like we've officially hijacked the thread.... sorry Ult_sm86!

Yeah, I think I was more *hurt* than anything at the scene with Rogue. I agree it was well written, and just like you I was left wonderign what it was she saw. Weapon X training doesn't leave one's head all in one piece- so the assumption I'd *like* to make was that it had soemthing to do with the mess in his head because of that. I'm more willing to accept Kurt's instability after taking all of that into account. Of course- maybe I'm underestimating the unhinging potential of what he was feeling in those later issues, even if most of it was invented in his head.

I'm almost done with my short fic. It's for this round of fic challenge, although it's not really.. err.. romance. Mostly introspection.
Image Image
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Don't worry sir, I can get it back on track ;)

What I love best about Bendis is not only his writing style but his ability to take any canon character, be him the cheap un sympathetic D-Class villain, and turn him into an apathetic anti-hero. He changes every perception of every character we have when he introduces them and I hope he takes the reigns back on Kurt, if only for two issues, so that every other UXM writer can view Kurt as more than a blue monster easily disregarded and set aside for the "next writer" which is what I feel like happens too much in Ultimate X-men. The characters get offed or outcasted, in essence set aside for a later date.

Bendis never puts everyone on side, just their story on pause while he addresses other things. (Such as Venom currently being active in Ultimates only even though a major part of Peter's stressful day is thinking of how he failed with Eddie.)
I fully expect Bendis to do his job and stick to his guns, his guns being Spider-Man. I'm not hoping for a team up here (...though it would be nice Mr. Bendis sir...:secret) but I know that if he brings the X-men in (which he has before) he always focuses on their inner-workings as a team, never on one single X-man (except kitty for obvious purposes.) Unless said X-man is on a Spider-Man mission (bobby, Kitty, Logan) when they make USM appearances, they aren't singled out, they're a well oiled working machine. They have to be portrayed this way because that is what Spider-Man looks up to (among many other things such as Stark, FF, and others.) He looks up to the X-men as examples of good heroes so Bendis always depicts them as a competent force. Hopefully he'll keep this pattern alive with Kurt as well. :crossfingers
the_lone_bamf
Shoulder Parrot
Shoulder Parrot

Post by the_lone_bamf »

(I just hope that we're not placing tons of false hopes on this comic. ^_^)

I appreciate the insight on Bendis' writing style. I'm not familiar enough with most of the current writers to know much about how they go about approaching characters and plotlines. I'll throw a little salt over my shoulder and search for lucky clovers with ya. :)
Image Image
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

There's worse things than wishing for Nightcrawler to appear in Spider-Man.
Bobj1
Lubber
Lubber
Title: Banned

Post by Bobj1 »

I think Ultimate Rogue is stupid all because of that terrible conversation! Ultimate Kurt roolz!

To put it in simple talk

:ultimate = :)
ultimate :rogue = :(

Get it?

[Edited on 15/6/08 by Bobj1]
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

No. Not really.

The good news is thankfully Kurt did appear in the ish, and GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!?!?
Not only is Kurt BLUE again, instead of (for some f*cked up reason) grey...

:ultimate isn't crazy anymore! He apologized to Colossus and even got juiced up with Dazzler, Angel, Rogue, and maybe Scott, to go get his Boyfriend, :northstar back. w00t!!!

That was in UXM of course. In USM he makes a panel appearance, that's about it tops. Still good to see him back in that uniform instead of dreary morlock clothes. I do like that quote though from UXM however;

:ultimate: "Are you still...with Northstar?"
:colossus: "Are you still King of the Morlocks?"
:ultimate: "It's more of a benevolent dictatorship..." :LMAO

[Edited on 15/6/08 by Ult_Sm86]
Elfdame
Navigator
Navigator

Post by Elfdame »

Yeah. That line at least had the feel of Original Kurt (or Eventual Original Kurt, mid-Uncanny) about it. Witty self-deprecation. But then he goes all wussy about getting distracted.

*deep sigh*

The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

I gotta read this.

Unsurprised about the copout non-appearance in Spider-Man.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir
Bobj1
Lubber
Lubber
Title: Banned

Post by Bobj1 »

Seriously! The nerve of some people! Rogue is stupid in UXM only for that reason. ONLY THAT REASON! im so happy hes blue again! Grey Kurt is so depressing.:bawl

Ult_Sm86 this is for u

Rogue said mean things about Nighty so me no likey Rogue do you uuunnndddeerrrsstttaannndddd?

Please say yes
wingyding
Deck Swabber
Deck Swabber
Title: Dusty Bits

Post by wingyding »

Originally posted by Ult_Sm86

:ultimate isn't crazy anymore! He apologized to Colossus and even got juiced up with Dazzler, Angel, Rogue, and maybe Scott, to go get his Boyfriend, :northstar back. w00t!!!

[Edited on 15/6/08 by Ult_Sm86]
Oh, you tempt me so, so badly. For a ssecond there I thought you meant Kurt was with Northstar.

And then the bitter disappointment settles in. -___-
Neither Love nor Evil conquers all, but Evil cheats more.
Important Lessons Learned from the X-Men: Never give indestructible metal claws to something that doesn't die when you shoot it in the head.
Ult_Sm86
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

Post by Ult_Sm86 »

Originally posted by Bobj1
Seriously! The nerve of some people! Rogue is stupid in UXM only for that reason. ONLY THAT REASON! im so happy hes blue again! Grey Kurt is so depressing.:bawl

Ult_Sm86 this is for u

Rogue said mean things about Nighty so me no likey Rogue do you uuunnndddeerrrsstttaannndddd?

Please say yes

No.

This issue was phenomenal guys you gotta pick it up. I loved every second of it. Everyone's character is getting good treatment. Colossus and Northstar's relationship is sound and strong, characters are introduced, secrets are revealed (or partially), and everyone seems to be just acting the way they're supposed to. Every character is accounted for and man that "banshee" drug is KICK ASS!!
The Drastic Spastic
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

Post by The Drastic Spastic »

Kirkman is a good writer. I'm catching up on close to a year of issues, and finding myself actually reading each one instead of just skimming for Nightcrawler bits.
Und die Sonne spricht zu mir